Is there any funding for training?

Has anyone got any updates on funding as this is 2008,I’m currently out of work I’ve got my class D bus & coach but looking to get my class c in the Birmingham area any help would be much appreciated

daz1204:
Has anyone got any updates on funding as this is 2008,I’m currently out of work I’ve got my class D bus & coach but looking to get my class c in the Birmingham area any help would be much appreciated

Hi daz1204,

I’ve split your post off the topic you’d posted it to because the other info in it was really out-of-date.

This way, you’ve made a fresh post and so you’ll get relevant and up-to-date answers. :smiley:

dieseldave:

daz1204:

Hi daz1204,

I’ve split your post off the topic you’d posted it to because the other info in it was really out-of-date.

This way, you’ve made a fresh post and so you’ll get relevant and up-to-date answers. :smiley:

Thanks for that mate

Hi Daz,

I am currently waiting to hear from a charity called Aspire CILT, they provide grants for people looking to get into the Transport and Logistics industry. They were recommended to me by another member (Berty).
I have put in an application to cover the cost of my Class 2 lessons and test. They are meeting in February to discuss applications they have received. They only meet a few times a year but seems like they do great work & it’s great that it’s free too.
If you do receive funding all they ask you do is keep them up to date and write a report on your progress and how they’ve helped you.

Look up the ‘Professional Career Development Loan’. It’s a government-backed loan which you start to repay after 12 months. Apparently the interest isn’t great, and when I looked it up, it seemed it was mainly the training agencies dealing with it. If your credit score allows, just get a credit card and use that. You should be able to get a Cat C inside 1k if you shop around and don’t fail your tests (which you shouldn’t…a coach is basically a truck except with self-loading cargo).

If you can get a grant then great, but if not it’s probably better to try and fund it yourself than be some firms ■■■■■ in the way of an apprenticeship.

But can I ask if you’ve ACTUALLY looked into what the trucking game is all about, the hours you’ll do, and the wages you’ll earn?
For a start, don’t believe that there’s a driver shortage! :open_mouth:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144282&p=2277563#p2277563

LGroves84:
Hi Daz,

I am currently waiting to hear from a charity called Aspire CILT, they provide grants for people looking to get into the Transport and Logistics industry. They were recommended to me by another member (Berty).
I have put in an application to cover the cost of my Class 2 lessons and test. They are meeting in February to discuss applications they have received. They only meet a few times a year but seems like they do great work & it’s great that it’s free too.
If you do receive funding all they ask you do is keep them up to date and write a report on your progress and how they’ve helped you.

Thanks for that mate I will definitely look into this

iomex:
Look up the ‘Professional Career Development Loan’. It’s a government-backed loan which you start to repay after 12 months. Apparently the interest isn’t great, and when I looked it up, it seemed it was mainly the training agencies dealing with it. If your credit score allows, just get a credit card and use that. You should be able to get a Cat C inside 1k if you shop around and don’t fail your tests (which you shouldn’t…a coach is basically a truck except with self-loading cargo).

Thanks for that mate if I can’t get a grant then this will be plan b

Evil8Beezle:
If you can get a grant then great, but if not it’s probably better to try and fund it yourself than be some firms ■■■■■ in the way of an apprenticeship.

But can I ask if you’ve ACTUALLY looked into what the trucking game is all about, the hours you’ll do, and the wages you’ll earn?
For a start, don’t believe that there’s a driver shortage! :open_mouth:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144282&p=2277563#p2277563

Thanks for the reply mate, I know what the trucking game is all about as my dad is a class 1, trucking is all he knows as he’s done it since he was old enough & he’s now in his 60s, just wish I’d done it sooner but took a different career path

Just be confident, when I got class 2 second time round, I was walking into places asking for work, got on really well with the people at one place, got a bit cheeky and here I am…they paid for everything, I realise I am very lucky but having the right attitude and the right amount of confidence will get you very far, I want class 1 next lol

Tuckert92:
Just be confident, when I got class 2 second time round, I was walking into places asking for work, got on really well with the people at one place, got a bit cheeky and here I am…they paid for everything, I realise I am very lucky but having the right attitude and the right amount of confidence will get you very far, I want class 1 next lol

I know what you mean mate " If you don’t ask you don’t get "

Exactly, just put yourself out there, you have nothing to lose, worst that could happen is you get told no, I really do wish you the best of luck!

Are you currently unemployed mate?

Tuckert92:
Exactly, just put yourself out there, you have nothing to lose, worst that could happen is you get told no, I really do wish you the best of luck!

Cheers mate

andy_s:
Are you currently unemployed mate?

Yes mate I am had to leave my job on the buses due to my wifes ill health

If you sign on as unemployed (JSA etc.), you may get financial assistance with things like costs for medical, CPC and Tachograph card costs etc. I don’t know if that assistance would stretch to actual training though.

daz1204:

If you are not out of work then I think your options are limited. I got Class C funding when I lived in Suffolk - but the LVP area was East Anglia and so Norwich made the decisions. In the Fens where I now live there is little Class C work and so one has almost got to have C+E. The Jobcentre wouldn’t help with C+E but this is the Fens (agriculture, farmers and utterly mean with it).

CDL has the limitation of only being available now through Co-op bank and based on Credit scoring. [I lost my Class C job here after an accident and so got behind with mortgage payments]. All rather frustrating when there are plenty of jobs… one firm literally up the road and without the cash I get into further debt.

The indemnity scheme is what you are probably thinking of (just like Class D) - they give you the training if you stay with them for 2 yrs plus. few haulage firms want to be bothered as they can employ foreigners and keep wages down to £7.30-£8 ph. But remember Class D costs much more £2500-3000 so good bus firms help out.

Strangely enough I am hoping to do Class D as in this area the pay is better and at 52 I have decided I need to do one or the other. Class D I feel is the better option. I knew someone in Birmingham area (lost contact now) in 2014 and he was getting £9ph then - suggested I did D but chose trucks instead. A good bus firm should be offering £10+ ph like trucks but dwindling slowly. I did nights a few weeks ago and got £8ph.

Thing is with wages so low - if you have a CDL you have still got to pay the cash back. If you are in work you might as well use a credit card (choosing one that allows a longer repayment period). Its unlikely you can consider the training as an investment - you need to be sure you want the change.

Another thought if you are older than me - is Class C for you? Most delivery jobs are likely to involve handball. I am doing re-cycling agency work at present - load old fridges/freezers and TVs into an extended 15T. It’s hard work (pack about 80-100 fridges in and takes 2+ hours) but better than some jobs I have done… but £8.50 ph and a 25 mile drive each way.

I reckon Class D is a better bet tbh.

andy_s:
If you sign on as unemployed (JSA etc.), you may get financial assistance with things like costs for medical, CPC and Tachograph card costs etc. I don’t know if that assistance would stretch to actual training though.

Thanks mate, I’ve got to go there tomorrow for a interview so I’m going to ask what help I can get

jessejazza:

daz1204:

If you are not out of work then I think your options are limited. I got Class C funding when I lived in Suffolk - but the LVP area was East Anglia and so Norwich made the decisions. In the Fens where I now live there is little Class C work and so one has almost got to have C+E. The Jobcentre wouldn’t help with C+E but this is the Fens (agriculture, farmers and utterly mean with it).

CDL has the limitation of only being available now through Co-op bank and based on Credit scoring. [I lost my Class C job here after an accident and so got behind with mortgage payments]. All rather frustrating when there are plenty of jobs… one firm literally up the road and without the cash I get into further debt.

The indemnity scheme is what you are probably thinking of (just like Class D) - they give you the training if you stay with them for 2 yrs plus. few haulage firms what to be bothered as they can employ foreigners and keep wages down to £7.30-£8 ph. But remember Class D costs much more £2500-3000 so good bus firms help out.

Strangely enough I am hoping to do Class D as in this area the pay is better and at 52 I have decided I need to do one or the other. Class D I feel is the better option. I knew someone in Birmingham area (lost contact now) in 2014 and he was getting £9ph then - suggested I did D but chose trucks instead. A good bus firm should be offering £10+ ph like trucks but dwindling slowly. I did nights a few weeks ago and got £8ph.

Thing is with wages so low - if you have a CDL you have still got to pay the cash back. If you are in work you might as well use a credit card (choosing one that allows a longer repayment period). Its unlikely you can consider the training as an investment - you need to be sure you want the change.

Thanks for your reply, I’ve got an interview at the jobcentre tomorrow so going to see what help I can get. As for class D I got mine through National Express they put you through everything but you do have to stay with them for 2 years I’ve forgot what the starting wage is but I’d been there 4 years & was on £10.44ph, after 5 years it goes up to the top rate which was I think just under £12ph, but you have to put up with daily abuse from scumbags & there’s nothing you can do about it, this is why I’m not going back can’t put up with that sh** no more cause I’m not going to lose my job over a lowlife who refuses to pay I can put up with the idiots on the road but when you have to sit there & listen to these scum calling you allsorts no thanks. Maybe it won’t be to bad where you live I don’t want to put you off it’s just not for me anymore.
Good luck with your class D hope you get nice easy routes without the hassles lol

Well, if you’re in a fix, have you considered 3.5 agency work? It’s an absolute pain in the arse, and they’ll have you going down back lanes at 60mph for 13 hours a day, but £10/hr is normal, and would get you out of the sticky brown stuff until you can sort out a Cat C. If you can deal with idiot managers, wrecked vans and being run ragged, DPD will throw money at you. Most agencies pay their workers weekly into bank account, as well. If it’s a driving agency (rather than a general one), they might even help you out once they know you, and point you in the direction of someone who might help out with training costs.

iomex:
Well, if you’re in a fix, have you considered 3.5 agency work? It’s an absolute pain in the arse, and they’ll have you going down back lanes at 60mph for 13 hours a day, but £10/hr is normal, and would get you out of the sticky brown stuff until you can sort out a Cat C. If you can deal with idiot managers, wrecked vans and being run ragged, DPD will throw money at you. Most agencies pay their workers weekly into bank account, as well. If it’s a driving agency (rather than a general one), they might even help you out once they know you, and point you in the direction of someone who might help out with training costs.

Cheers for the advice mate, I’m going to try my hardest to get funding one way or another fingers crossed, but if I can’t it might worth looking into if all else fails.
Speaking of DPD I went round by my local depot today & saw a 1 of their 18 tonners with L plates on so they obviously do some sort of cat C training

How about looking into a 2 year interest free credit card :bulb: :question:

I recently passed my class 2 and 1 funded by the jobcentre. I had to have a job offer to get the funding but if you know any one who can write the letter you can get funded.