First night shift tips

Cheers pal! :smiley:
To be fair it’s dead easy, just mundane and boring I guess if you do it all the time…

I preferred the HazChem run as that was smaller and less formal/orchestrated. At TPN there must be 50+ forkies and look like an ant colony. Organised chaos! :laughing: The first time I went there I couldn’t believe they didn’t hit each other, and I’m sure they do from time to time, but I didn’t see even a close call. Only a nutter would step out of their truck in there, but i thought I better stress the point in my write up…

The HazChem set up however is much smaller, you get to know the other drivers who were all great. You arrive and join the queue, and pulling your curtains back just the same. But then you go into the waiting room, and put each bit of your paperwork in it’s corresponding pigeon hole, grabbing a free coffee as you go! :wink: Then back to the truck and once you’re in the warehouse there are only about 6-8 forkies, so you can get out of the truck and undo your internal in there, which is a better set up when you’re carry Haz. The last thing you want is to lose a pallet of some nasty stuff. Plus where it’s a smaller setup, the route into the warehouse isn’t 100% level ground. Once out the other side, you can either kip or go to the waiting room and watch TV whilst having a bit of banter with the other drivers. I got on rather well with the Pompey bloke, but as I’m a Scummer don’t tell anyone! :wink: At the same time your depot’s pigeon hole would fill up with all your paperwork (as other loads arrive) and you’d then know when it’s time to drive around for your collections. You might get called to go around even if you’re still waiting on a specific depot, probably Scottish… And if that was the case they’d then add that odd pallet out the back when it got there, without you needing to drive around again.

Again, easy peasy! :smiley:

Although as the HazChem networks hub is on an industrial estate, finding a place to park up whilst you’re waiting could be a bit tricky, and a bit of reversing/maneuvering was sometimes required. But as I’ve already said, they were a good bunch of regular lads there and everyone helped each other out. All you have to do is ask people/Newbies! :wink: