Roping and sheeting a dieing art

I’m a newbie got my class 2 been driving flatbed for a year. Learnt to sheet and rope down but with a small amount of training. Looking for some of the best knots and ways to be secure the load and sheet?

Best way is to say to another more experienced person - please give me some advice on how to secure this particular load

Years ago, the main knots I used were called (If I remember correctly) half sheep shank, clove hitch and half hitch as well as an Alpine butterfly knot for a more heavy duty rope (I didn’t use that one often though). I think the sheep shank one is called the truckers hitch now… someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I never really used sheeting as a security method though, just to keep out the rain.

Cheers guys heard of all but the alpine that will come in handy once Ive learnt it lol

that’s the only thing you need to know now as everyone else will be smartpants and tell you that nobody ties a knot nowadays since they invented ratchet straps… :slight_smile:

Already had that at a truck stop lol. Ratchet straps dont hold a sheet on :unamused:

dieseldog999:
that’s the only thing you need to know now as everyone else will be smartpants and tell you that nobody ties a knot nowadays since they invented ratchet straps… :slight_smile:

Maybe coz since ratchets came about learning knots wasn’t considered the “thing to know”

On the Old Time forum theres a thread with 96 pages on Roping and Sheeting. Maybe a bit much to dig out the relevant stuff tho! No-ones mentioned “dolly knots”? Good for rope of course and also to tension the corners of sheets, and get the edges tight before securing them. Barrel hitches?

Franglais:
On the Old Time forum theres a thread with 96 pages on Roping and Sheeting. Maybe a bit much to dig out the relevant stuff tho! No-ones mentioned “dolly knots”? Good for rope of course and also to tension the corners of sheets, and get the edges tight before securing them. Barrel hitches?

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: .don’t be mentioning barrel hitches on here now otherwise there will be another 20 pages of why theyre not needed in road haulage nowadays… :smiley:

dieseldog999:

Franglais:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: .don’t be mentioning barrel hitches on here now otherwise there will be another 20 pages of why theyre not needed in road haulage nowadays… :smiley:

I know, I know. Just been warned off another thread too. . .Some threads just seem to attract all the wrong posts. . . . None of them by me of course.

dieseldog999:

I knew you would pop up here Dog! :laughing:

As for knots, I suspect most truckers after a few years are thinking about only one…

Whether it’s for themselves or their planner I can’t say! :laughing: