How long it takes you find a job?

How long did it take you after passing class 1 or 2 to find a job?

How active were you fin ding a job?

How many did you apply to a day?

What kind of job was it?

I limped into an agency, had my pulse checked and was working 2 days later…
Whether that was because it was July and holiday cover time, or I’m bloody amazing I’m not sure! :open_mouth:

The first job is the hardest mate, so try your arse off for anything to get a start.
After that it’s a doddle…

Best of luck! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:
Whether that was because it was July and holiday cover time, or I’m bloody amazing I’m not sure! :open_mouth:

The first job is the hardest mate, so try your arse off for anything to get a start.

Cheers mate, I’m applying for anything atm just to get myself up there.

TruckerYaser:

Evil8Beezle:

Cheers mate, I’m applying for anything atm just to get myself up there.

Well don’t be put off, accept that this is the worst time of the year for jobs and keep trying mate, something will come up… :smiley:

Hope you don’t mind mate, but I’ll put your PM on the forum for all to see…

TruckerYaser:
Hi mate can you remember which agency this was?

It won’t make any difference mate, as they vary branch to branch. So while the Rapier branch near me were good, the one near you might be crap. It’s down to the manager…

Get all your stuff together like licences, proof of address, passport, NI & Tax details and hit as many as you can stomach in a day. They will probably make you do some tests about Tacho reg and Highway code. Don’t panic if you fail them, as you’ll soon get the hang of it and you can retake them as they want you on their books. After that you call them regularly to show you’re keen.

Yes your first gigs are bound to be crap, but it’s experience that opens better doors… :wink:

Evil8Beezle:
Hope you don’t mind mate, but I’ll put your PM on the forum for all to see…

TruckerYaser:
Hi mate can you remember which agency this was?

It won’t make any difference mate, as they vary branch to branch. So while the Rapier branch near me were good, the one near you might be crap. It’s down to the manager…

Get all your stuff together like licences, proof of address, passport, NI & Tax details and hit as many as you can stomach in a day. They will probably make you do some tests about Tacho reg and Highway code. Don’t panic if you fail them, as you’ll soon get the hang of it and you can retake them as they want you on their books. After that you call them regularly to show you’re keen.

Yes your first gigs are bound to be crap, but it’s experience that opens better doors… :wink:

I agree cheers man!

Shows how things have changed, or have they? you won’t know till you try.

I got my class 1 at age 21 in 1976, we’d just moved house to another area (where a working class bod could afford to buy a new house, some things never change) and the boss who i worked for at the time on the vans/7.5 tonners was sacking me anyway for taking the extra holiday to get me lorry licence, i’d have been up queer street if i’d failed, no pressure there then :unamused:

I originally came from the area we were moving to and knew the lay of the land, there was one general haulage outfit that ran the oldest scruffiest lorries in the district, but also paid the best in the district too (25% of what the lorry earned) so knocked on the door and they gave me a job, maybe 1 or2 days after i passed me test.

35 years later i’d finally packed in driving car transporters, and been on the agency over a year (for a rest) and had got me mojo back so again knocked on the door of where i am now, again they gave me a job, it too is just about the best payer (certainly for the hours worked) in the district.

Looking back every job worth having has been gained by word of mouth or cold calling, i’ve only ever landed one job via an advert, that was after being made redundant twice within 3 months in the early 80’s, the job was rubbish.

Moral of story, don’t worry about the company or their vehicle’s appearance, indeed it’s often the case of all flash no cash (that includes the car park, you’d be surprised how many ordinary working people are up to their eyes in debt to have an new Aldi/similar), get out there see whats about and go knock on doors.

You can email or post CV’s till you’re blue in the face you still can’t beat the personal approach and i doubt you ever will.

Juddian:
Looking back every job worth having has been gained by word of mouth or cold calling, i’ve only ever landed one job via an advert, that was after being made redundant twice within 3 months in the early 80’s, the job was rubbish.

Moral of story, don’t worry about the company or their vehicle’s appearance, indeed it’s often the case of all flash no cash (that includes the car park, you’d be surprised how many ordinary working people are up to their eyes in debt to have an new Aldi/similar), get out there see whats about and go knock on doors.

You can email or post CV’s till you’re blue in the face you still can’t beat the personal approach and i doubt you ever will.

So right.

Looking at all our staff, around 80% have come because someone knows a brother, a neighbour, a mate. About 10%, so that’s 2… came through advertising ( there are only so many mates, brothers, neighbours ) and the last 10% fall into meeting them working somewhere else on a casual basis and them looking for a job - so even in a rubbish job do your best because one day someone may come along and ask you if you want something better.

Our vehicles certainly aren’t flash and we are really low-key, but since drivers usually stay, I presume they are happy with the pay and conditions.

albion:
So right.

Looking at all our staff, around 80% have come because someone knows a brother, a neighbour, a mate. About 10%, so that’s 2… came through advertising ( there are only so many mates, brothers, neighbours ) and the last 10% fall into meeting them working somewhere else on a casual basis and them looking for a job - so even in a rubbish job do your best because one day someone may come along and ask you if you want something better.

Our vehicles certainly aren’t flash and we are really low-key, but since drivers usually stay, I presume they are happy with the pay and conditions.

+1.

You are spot on about doing your best whatever the situation.
My present job, tankers was still a dead man’s shoes job when i started there, i knocked on the door on the off chance, TM was good enough to come down and give me a couple of mins to spin my yarn (i shall never forget that small kindness to a total stranger at the door), he asked me to drop him a CV (no application forms here), course having had a bite i shot home and did a decent CV, one page no rambling meaningless rubbish about team playing or other identikit CV cobblers, truth only job history including sickness and accident rates or lack of them, shot back later to hand deliver it and it was on his desk at 9am next morn.
3 weeks later i’m in, but unbeknown to me at the time one of the blokes already there and well respected i had worked with some 15/20 years previously on the transporters, TM asked him about me and that recommendation will not have done any harm at all, the opposite i have no doubt could have happened too.

You just never know what the future brings, a good reputation opens closed doors, a bad rep does exactly the opposite.

A note about CV’s too.
Some jobs you’ll never need one, but the better jobs you might, so get yourself one made up, during my interview it was said by the ops mgr who interviewed me that no one else could come near my CV, so OP take that however you want but it’s you who wants a good job so anything you can do to stand out from the herd eh?

Back in the summer I passed my class 1 off my own back, got messed about by my current company something chronic. Was doing holiday cover while the office fannied about, one of the new lads who actually took over my truck built up a good relationship with me. Being an old hat at the job I was providing information on where stuff was etc. One day I was on the phone with him and we we’re discussing me leaving and finding a new job because I was getting mucked about. He suggested a local company to me (I don’t know why I didn’t think of it myself) and basically goaded me into phoning the TM. Upon phoning said TM who was really nice on the phone I was told that he didn’t have anything but I was welcome to fill in a application form etc etc, you know the usual guff they say. Well, after telling him where I lived I said I could swing by to actually hand deliver the application forms back to him. We got talking which turned into an impromptu interview where I set my stall out, showed him that I was keen and willing to work. We then wandered about the yard with me asking questions about the job, the gear etc.

After a month I didn’t hear anything so I phoned up again to prompt him, he remembered me and said I was the first on the list for him to call etc. I kept calling every couple of months until the same friend sent me a picture from their Facebook saying they were recruiting in the New Year. Called again and told him I was still interested. Yesterday I received an email inviting me for an assessment drive in the beginning of Feb.

It pays to be persistent. This all started back in August of last year!

Oh well done Radar, hope the job goes well for you. :sunglasses:

I was a 2am start on refrigerators the morning after getting my class1 licence and signing on

Radar19:
It pays to be persistent!

Albion’s taken out a restraining order against me! :open_mouth:

Best of luck Radar mate, and wise words from Krusty as always… :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

Radar19:
It pays to be persistent!

Albion’s taken out a restraining order against me! :open_mouth:

This is true. But it’s not working, he still haunts me on the forum :laughing:

TruckerYaser:

What kind of job was it?

1 - Fired out a few CV’s and cover letters tailored made for each position, not a generic cover letter for all.

2- Some days I applied for several, others none, I applied at all the big food companies, wether they were taking on or not (Bidvest, Brakes, Gist, P&H etc) Also hit up agencies, registered with 2 (driver hire and drivers direct) and sent CV’s to all local haualge firms in my area.

3 - Any class 2 jobs, I didn’t limit the type of job can not be picky with no experience, even 7.5tn jobs should be considered to start with. Ended up being taken on by P&H been there since start of year.

thehig:

TruckerYaser:

What kind of job was it?

1 - Fired out a few CV’s and cover letters tailored made for each position, not a generic cover letter for all.

2- Some days I applied for several, others none, I applied at all the big food companies, wether they were taking on or not (Bidvest, Brakes, Gist, P&H etc) Also hit up agencies, registered with 2 (driver hire and drivers direct) and sent CV’s to all local haualge firms in my area.

3 - Any class 2 jobs, I didn’t limit the type of job can not be picky with no experience, even 7.5tn jobs should be considered to start with. Ended up being taken on by P&H been there since start of year.

Whats P and H like? doing a few shifts over the next few weeks in Kent with them (first driving job)
thanks

jeffuk13:

thehig:

TruckerYaser:

What kind of job was it?

Whats P and H like? doing a few shifts over the next few weeks in Kent with them (first driving job)
thanks

I only did 2 limps for them so my experience is limited, but you’ll be delivering mainly One Stop stores with crap parking! :imp:
You’ll have to drag the chilled and frozen cages over dodgy ground and up kerbs…
The shop staff will generally treat you like something they stood in, and will check the goods off as you unload the cages.
You’ll have up to 15 drops in a shift, and you’ll be late back as you’ll be nowhere near as quick as the regular guy that does that run.

However, I was told by the regulars that it’s a cushy job when you get used to it.
I had NO intention of getting used to it! :open_mouth:

Hope that helps… :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

jeffuk13:

thehig:

TruckerYaser:

What kind of job was it?

thanks

I only did 2 limps for them so my experience is limited, but you’ll be delivering mainly One Stop stores with crap parking! :imp:
You’ll have to drag the chilled and frozen cages over dodgy ground and up kerbs…
The shop staff will generally treat you like something they stood in, and will check the goods off as you unload the cages.
You’ll have up to 15 drops in a shift, and you’ll be late back as you’ll be nowhere near as quick as the regular guy that does that run.

However, I was told by the regulars that it’s a cushy job when you get used to it.
I had NO intention of getting used to it! :open_mouth:

Hope that helps… :wink:

I have worked for them since January.

There pretty good, the routes arnt terrible even as a new starter I was getting back roughly on time.
Some drops are a nightmare to park at, and work to cages to.
Most customers you deliver to are really friendly and sometimes offer you tea or coffee.
You also deliver to a lot of shell garages, tescos, Saintsbury’s etc.

The downside is the real threat you may be targeted, your carrying a lot of ciggis and you could be a target.

TruckerYaser:

What kind of job was it?

I was extremely lucky! A national bathrooms shop with a branch in stoke on trent offered me a job, so I finished my previous job on a Tuesday and started here the next day, put me through class 2 and cpc, steady job! Out at 5 in the morning, back for 1 or 2 o’clock each day, alot of manual work involved and some arsey customers but I’m happy with it.

TruckerYaser:

What kind of job was it?

Passed class 2 while I was driving 7.5t trucks for concorde logistics.

Through an ex supervisor at concorde logistics I walked into P+H with my class 2 licence.

Passed class 1 while at P+H.

Left P+H week after I passed class 1 on a Wednesday.

Following Monday was driving class 1 trucks for where I am currently.

Feb 13th I start at Samworth Brothers.

I’ve been very lucky/fortunate in all honesty. Maybe it’s the way I present myself at interviews.

Was nice being told by the assessor at Samworths that I was one of the best drivers he’d seen out of all the people he’d assessed

I’d only been driving artics for 6 weeks. Haha.

Some people find it hard to believe I only passed my car test 2 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk