Cat c training

I’m going to start cat c training in the next few weeks, so I’ve been looking at all the different trainers and options near where I live and I came across one called DST Training that guarantee you a 3 month trial with sports direct when passed. To me this sounds like an excellent opportunity to get some experience even if your not kept on at the end of it. So I was wondering if anyone on here has used or knows of DST?,and has any advice?

Baggers75:
I’m going to start cat c training in the next few weeks, so I’ve been looking at all the different trainers and options near where I live and I came across one called DST Training that guarantee you a 3 month trial with sports direct when passed. To me this sounds like an excellent opportunity to get some experience even if your not kept on at the end of it. So I was wondering if anyone on here has used or knows of DST?,and has any advice?

dsttraining.co.uk/index.php
Nice website mentioning sports direct

Never had a recommendation for it so far on this site

Check out the link below in my signature

Darren is a great bloke and been operating a few years. IIRC he operates a Scania Opticruise drawbar. In common with many others, he doesn’t (or certainly didn’t) have a “proper” reversing area. I believe he tests at Watnall, Nottingham though he used to use Handsworth, Sheffield.

I’m not going to comment on the Sports Direct offer except that anyone with a licence and a pulse can get work there. And there’s obviously reasons for their turnover of staff.

All in all, you could do a lot worse.

Strongly recommend you go and visit DST and then look at one or two others. We are open 0730 - 1730 for guided tours if you want a comparison.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
IIRC he operates a Scania Opticruise drawbar.

Almost all of the Sports Direct wagons I see running up and down the M1 are Scania drawbar (and there are lots of them!). Watnall is also good test centre IMO, on a test you never go further into Notingham than the ring road and you’re almost guaranteed a jolly up the motorway which is a nice time waster.

Darren is a great bloke and been operating a few years. IIRC he operates a Scania Opticruise drawbar. In common with many others, he doesn’t (or certainly didn’t) have a “proper” reversing area

Yes, yes we all know you’ve got a reversing area

I’m not going to comment on the Sports Direct offer except that anyone with a licence and a pulse can get work there

Your not going to comment, yet you did

Strongly recommend you go and visit DST and then look at one or two others. We are open 0730 - 1730 for guided tours if you want a comparison.

The chap directly asked for details about DST, yet you’ve managed to turn it into a sales pitch for your company.

jonnyboat:
The chap directly asked for details about DST, yet you’ve managed to turn it into a sales pitch for your company.

That is what a forum sponsor pays lots of money to do

It is sponsors who contribute to keeping the site running financially but there is an alternative - make members like you and me pay subs :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Why on earth would you criticise a guy for advertising his business is way beyond me. He actually recommended to visit dst. For all the guy who criticised knows, Peter Smythe might actually be a bloody good trainer. Only a couple of weeks ago I myself was looking to book class 2 training and Smythe contacted me recommending his services. He was professional with it and was in no way attempting to push anything. This prompted me to look at his business which looks well set up to me and if I wasnt over 100 miles away, without doubt id have gone over for a chat.

If people are just going to sit on the couch and post crap, go for a run instead or bum the misses.

Hades3000:
Why on earth would you criticise a guy for advertising his business is way beyond me. He actually recommended to visit dst. For all the guy who criticised knows, Peter Smythe might actually be a bloody good trainer. Only a couple of weeks ago I myself was looking to book class 2 training and Smythe contacted me recommending his services. He was professional with it and was in no way attempting to push anything. This prompted me to look at his business which looks well set up to me and if I wasnt over 100 miles away, without doubt id have gone over for a chat.

If people are just going to sit on the couch and post crap, go for a run instead or bum the misses.

I’m criticising him for running down his competition not advertising his business.

actually,

In hindsight there’s no reason why I should be making any comment on this, Ignore my personal opinions on the matter.

I

Peter Smythe:
he doesn’t (or certainly didn’t) have a “proper” reversing area.

You pay your money so entitled to promote your business but the above comments aren’t very professional about a fellow trainer facilities.

Paul

IMO a correctly marked and surfaced reversing area is important (which is why I invested a small fortune in two of them). There’s nothing unprofessional about stating fact. Even less unprofessional is recommending the man himself and suggesting a visit.

Time to stop having a pop at me and take the post for what it is. A recommendation - go look, if you don’t like what you see, I’m here.

Peter I know you run an excellent training centre and offer a first class service.

It boils my ■■■■ when you slate other trainers on here, maybe you could of sent the author a private message rather than publicly criticising DST reversing area.

I’m not having a pop

Paul

Paul, your ■■■■ clearly has a very low boiling point. Can I repeat what I said:

Darren is a great bloke and been operating a few years. IIRC he operates a Scania Opticruise drawbar

Surely the above outweighs my belief:

he doesn’t (or certainly didn’t) have a “proper” reversing area.

For goodness sake, keep the post in context and don’t make me out to be the bad guy.

And keep an eye on that boiling ■■■■ - sounds nasty to me!

So you say Darren is a good bloke (very honourable of you)

But…

Darrens reversing area is crap and why not tell all of truck net? Oh you did.

Don’t think Darren would be happy with you for that.

Paul

Can I have a recommendation for ■■■ without any facts, context or reference to compare with another please? :open_mouth:

As a wannabe looking in there does seem to be a bit of sniping from one trainer to another and i do see that as unprofessional and unnecessary.

Peter Smythe gave his view on DST and recommended the OP go and visit them to make their own mind up and also saying that he’s got his own center so maybe give them a look too. In my opinion that’s no bad thing as he does sponsor the forum.

I can see this may not sit well with everyone and that’s fine everyone’s got their views, but when other trainers start picking apart what another has said it just leaves a bitter taste and gives an unprofessional image all round which is easily avoided really.

Now i have a suggestion to settle this “the first Trucknet trainer Cat Herding trails” (i’m sure dieselDave has a cat in his Profile picture now?) The trainers use their own vehicles and give their Instructors tips and advice on rounding a selection of Cats into a pen i imagine ROG and Rikki could perhaps referee the event?? The winner gets a trophy in the style of DipperDaves profile pic and is declared Trainer Numero Uno…

Just a thought like

There’s a simple pattern developing. I say something, Paul will argue.

Peter Smythe:
There’s a simple pattern developing. I say something, Paul will argue.

It’s called freedom of speech.

Don’t have a problem with you advertising, promoting, glorifying etc your own business but when you pick fault and publicly criticise your competitors to try and secure a booking it annoys me.

Paul