DVLA adding higher categories

Hi guys/girls,

Passed my CE in September, but DVLA never added on category BE? I was under the impression that this was an automatic upgrade? Or is there a separate test to be done for this too? Seems stupid you can drive an artic but not pull a caravan?!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Ashleigh

Ashleigh100:
Hi guys/girls,

Passed my CE in September, but DVLA never added on category BE? I was under the impression that this was an automatic upgrade? Or is there a separate test to be done for this too? Seems stupid you can drive an artic but not pull a caravan?!

Ashleigh

Have you checked online :question: gov.uk/view-driving-licence

What does it say :question:

If you have CE you must by law also have C1E and BE

Thanks Rog for your reply.

I’ve checked online, just says I have provisional enetitlement for BE which was added when I passed my car test in 2014. Though they did add C1E automatically.

I have emailed DVLA and their response was -
‘‘I can confirm that the B+E category doesn’t get added when you pass C+E. The C+E covers you to drive vehicles that fall in the B+E category.’’

Ashleigh100:
Thanks Rog for your reply.

I’ve checked online, just says I have provisional enetitlement for BE which was added when I passed my car test in 2014. Though they did add C1E automatically.

I have emailed DVLA and their response was -
‘‘I can confirm that the B+E category doesn’t get added when you pass C+E. The C+E covers you to drive vehicles that fall in the B+E category.’’

EH !!

BE gets added for life and is not subject to the LGV medical remaining current

I have also emailed them with this general enquiry issue but I have also just phoned them and got this reply - CE uogrades B to BE and BE remains valid for as long as B remains current

Cheers Rog,

Il get on the phone to them, might be easier than speaking to one of their robots through email.

Thanks again.

Ashleigh100:
Cheers Rog,

Il get on the phone to them, might be easier than speaking to one of their robots through email.

Thanks again.

HAVE FUN GETTING THROUGH ALL THE OPTIONS :laughing:

gov.uk/adding-higher-catego … ng-licence

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … 130715.pdf - see page 6

Please ignore

I think C+E entitlement can add confusion for some other classes… I still have C1E with a restriction code but having spoken to DVLA, my C+E over rides this - as long as my C+E is valid (5 Years). If I don’t renew my C+E, my C1E goes back to the restriction code one.

andy_s:
I think C+E entitlement can add confusion for some other classes… I still have C1E with a restriction code but having spoken to DVLA, my C+E over rides this - as long as my C+E is valid (5 Years). If I don’t renew my C+E, my C1E goes back to the restriction code one.

A pre 97 licence holder with C also has 2 x C1s on their licence at the same time - one subject to the LGV medical being current and the other valid until age 70

I wonder if that means such a driver can drive two C1s at the same time … hmmmm … :wink: :laughing:

ROG:

andy_s:

A pre 97 licence holder with C also has 2 x C1s on their licence at the same time - one subject to the LGV medical being current and the other valid until age 70

I wonder if that means such a driver can drive two C1s at the same time … hmmmm … :wink: :laughing:

I’ve got the C1E with no restriction that is viewable on line, but on my Licence card, just the C1E with restriction. I actually phoned them and got them to state that in a letter.

If indeed ONLY the C+E entitled you to drive B+E then the only issue i can see is that if you don’t keep your C+E updated with 5 yearly medicals after 45 years old you can’t tow that caravan!

When I took C+E it upgraded my B and D to +E. Also my B+E runs out with my B not C or D. Hope that makes sense!

Just had mine through I’ve got the CE and C1E subject to drivers medical rules and they have also added BE which runs until my B does :slight_smile: Ryan.

Ashleigh100:
Hi guys/girls,

Ashleigh

Got this email today -

Thank you for your email received on 17/1/17. Your email reference number is 4066974.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the last response that was sent.
I can confirm if a driver passes category CE, it would upgrade the BE entitlement on the licence. This BE category would then be valid until 70 or would mirror the expiry date shown for the drivers category B.
Please note that the other entitlements (eg. C1E and D1E) if upgraded are the ones which will remain valid for as long as the category CE.
I hope this information helps.
Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:
emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildv … ivers.html
When filling in the form the email reference number 4066974 will be required.
Regards
L Morgan
DVLA Contact Centre

If you still do not have full BE on your licence then use the Email link under my username on the left to contact me so I can then forward the original email above to you if that will help

Just an update on this.

My response from DVLA -

I can confirm that the upgrading procedure means that although a test has not been passed in a particular category, a driver is still entitled to drive that category.

I can confirm that if you have passed a test in category CE this will upgrade the category B meaning the entitlement for BE will also be valid to drive without passing a test.

The BE entitlement will not show on the photocard licence as only categories that a driver has passed a practical driving test for will show on the licence.

Thanks all for your help!