Planning ahead and speed limits

Hello guys,

Since I am new driver that just passed my HGV Class 2(C, C1) I would like to ask you experienced drivers about any help you could give me regarding trips planning in advance and all the tips you can think of.

Also I would like to know if there is any site where I can see the speed limits on every road in uk as I would hate to lose points to speeding :slight_smile: so I could be prepared in advance.

Massive thanks for any help guys.

Speed limits can change from time to time so perhaps the only way to keep current is with a trucker sat-nav if one exists

In all the years I have been driving I have NEVER needed what you are looking for because all the speed limits are posted or designated by lampposts or lack thereof

LGV speed limits for the type of vehicle you are driving are also easy to remember

When route planning, work out how long it should take and add 25%. Same if you ask another driver for the journey time.

Best way of sticking to the speed limit is to keep your eyes peeled and see the signs. Really not rocket science is it?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Easiest way to be aware of speed limits is to take advantage of the facility built in to all modern trucks (and even older ones too, if you know how to use it). Somewhat confusingly, it’s called a “windscreen” even though it has a couple of major uses as well as shielding the driver from all that nasty wind. What you have to do is look through it pretty much all he time that you are driving, and use your Mk1 eyeballs to consciously register everything you can see (not just the bit of tarmac directly in front of you). You’ll see all sorts of stuff - much of which will provide valuable pointers as to the speed limit applicable on the road you are currently using. Buildings, pavements and street lights will indicate lower limits, while wider dual carriageways and Motorways will give you the nod to press that righthand pedal a bit harder. The Highways authorities also thoughtfully provide signs next to the road (again, visible through the windscreen) showing a numeric representation of the applicable limits.

Stick with it and I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it!

Stop going on about the old ways of doing things chaps :unamused: it’s a new age now so get with it.

What’s needed here is a top end truck specific sat nav, every driver should be required to buy one, at least £500 should be spent on one and preferably more and if you can find one better than that let us know quickly, it will tell you which road you absolutely must travel on no exceptions, and helpfully it will know and display the speed limit for that road, if you inadvertantly disobey orders the best versions will make bonging or alarm sounds of some sort to warn the professional driver to slow down thereby fully protecting your licence, don’t worry about using your judgement that’s no longer a requirement of the job, do exactly as the machine says and you won’t go wrong, ever.

Thats it basically, all the modern driver needs to know is contained in that vital piece of equipment, planning is old fashioned and went out with steam and no longer required in the modern world of lorries, just set your satnav select D press the loud pedal and follow those directions to the letter, result one professional trucker.

My experience of the high end satnav systems is that they know the speed limits better than the roads themselves. I often find the road signs falsely claiming it is 40 but the satnav knows it is actually 50.

ORC:
My experience of the high end satnav systems is that they know the speed limits better than the roads themselves. I often find the road signs falsely claiming it is 40 but the satnav knows it is actually 50.

It works the other way with the latest TomToms - Signs say 50 but TT says 40…

Juddian:
Stop going on about the old ways of doing things chaps :unamused: it’s a new age now so get with it.

What’s needed here is a top end truck specific sat nav, every driver should be required to buy one, at least £500 should be spent on one and preferably more and if you can find one better than that let us know quickly, it will tell you which road you absolutely must travel on no exceptions, and helpfully it will know and display the speed limit for that road, if you inadvertantly disobey orders the best versions will make bonging or alarm sounds of some sort to warn the professional driver to slow down thereby fully protecting your licence, don’t worry about using your judgement that’s no longer a requirement of the job, do exactly as the machine says and you won’t go wrong, ever.

Thats it basically, all the modern driver needs to know is contained in that vital piece of equipment, planning is old fashioned and went out with steam and no longer required in the modern world of lorries, just set your satnav select D press the loud pedal and follow those directions to the letter, result one professional trucker.

The sarcasm in this one is strong!

Lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JaxDemon:

Juddian:

The sarcasm in this one is strong!

Lol

+1 though the sad part about it is the fact that your modern steering wheel attendant works to that logic anyway. satnav says…driver does…definately sad but true.

Roymondo:
It works the other way with the latest TomToms - Signs say 50 but TT says 40…

Yes, sarcasm aside, Tomtom are a god-awful shower of incompetents. Their high end, state of the art, trucker satnavs have still not fully got to grips with the law change that increased the HGV limit on A roads to 50. It is a rather random mish-mash of correct and incorrect limits such that I don’t trust it at all. Hence I follow the earlier advice and pay attention to the road signs.

In all seriousness if you ain’t paying attention to road signs on the actual road and beside it then you’ve no place sitting in a truck.

I use co pilot truck but that don’t have lane assistance so theirs an issue straight away if your gonna rely on a sat nav to guide you. A sat nab should only be used as a guide to find your way and while it shows me speed limits for roads I rarely look at it because one it’s too small to see on my phone and 2nd because I’m always looking ahead.

Only real use of a sat nav for trucks is to get out the ■■■■ if you get lost and even then they ain’t that reliable.

Ps… I only been driving trucks over a year. Class 1 since September and like a ■■■■ I followed a sat nav once and ended up down an housing estate much to people’s shock and horror though for me it was just another road with a tight squeeze down one road. Never again will I ever rely fully on a sat nav without paying attention to road signs and what’s ahead

Try not to rely on sat navs.

Juddian:

Thank you very much sir for your valuable feedback :smiley:, though I would like to add that I have never said that I want to make the job easier by blindly following sat nav :smiley: … The thing is that I would like to make It a bit harder and plan the route using Road Atlas … And as strange as It may seem even in this “new age” you might still find some new drivers who would actually use it to plan the route ahead :smiley: I just want to be prepared as good as I could be and I thought this just might be the place where I could find it :smiley:

But again. Thank you for your advice :smiley: … Although I have never been told to do it this way but I guess you have more experience so you know what is better for driver :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Touche young Celebros :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Best of luck with it too mate, you can’t beat of old fashioned planning.

and quite seriously now a sensibly priced satnav is well worth having and using, not just in its role as pocket sized street map of the country in which they do excel, but if you just have them running they will give the speed limits applicable to the road you are on, obviously you’ll ignore 60mph as stated for normal two way roads, cos your lorry will be 50 limit there unless the actual limit at the time is less for everyone.
Nothing wrong with a lorry specific nav if you can find one for the right price, but as you allude to you can’t beat setting your own route via bridge height atlas so you plan it not the infernal bloody machine which every bugger else seems to be blindly following these days.

well done for having a sense of humour too mate, Christ knows you’ll need one in this game or you’ll end up gaga like most of us (well me) :open_mouth:

Juddian:
Touche young Celebros :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Best of luck with it too mate, you can’t beat of old fashioned planning.

and quite seriously now a sensibly priced satnav is well worth having and using, not just in its role as pocket sized street map of the country in which they do excel, but if you just have them running they will give the speed limits applicable to the road you are on, obviously you’ll ignore 60mph as stated for normal two way roads, cos your lorry will be 50 limit there unless the actual limit at the time is less for everyone.
Nothing wrong with a lorry specific nav if you can find one for the right price, but as you allude to you can’t beat setting your own route via bridge height atlas so you plan it not the infernal bloody machine which every bugger else seems to be blindly following these days.

well done for having a sense of humour too mate, Christ knows you’ll need one in this game or you’ll end up gaga like most of us (well me) :open_mouth:

Hahaha :smiley: :smiley: thank you sir.

A good bridge hight book is useful personal preference on that mind a decent electronic map ( sat nav ) is also useful if you are going into London a good decent size A-Z

You could go back to buying a load of A-Z if you wish this would save the mess on the windscreen that sticking the electronic gadgets you have to it

A lot of drivers use the map on there phones

You’re starting to get bitter and twisted Krusty me old mate! :laughing:

Planning is the key, a Sat-Nav is an aid that quite often should be told to [zb] off… :imp:
Strangely I quite enjoy arguing with it! :open_mouth:

I’ve always been twisted :smiling_imp:

Just do whatever you want to on the road mate.

Everyone else does :frowning:

Juddian:
I’ve always been twisted :smiling_imp:

You may be twisted but remember I am the biggest â– â– â– â– â–  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: