Agencies in Glasgow for van work

Hi, I posted a question a few days ago asking for advice about how to start a possible driving career starting from zero. I’ve been recommended to start with agencies doing van work.

I live in Glasgow. I’ve googled a bit but I can’t find much. Can anybody help me and give me some names of agencies, bad or good, here in Glasgow? Thanks.

Driver Hire were alright for me they got me straight on to Class 1 work when I first passed. Blue Arrow in Bellshill were fine as well I done the odd Class 1 shift through them. Just be aware if you’re looking for van work through agency the likelihood is it’ll be high volume multidrop. You’ll be given a sheet of addreses and a van full of packages and told to crack on. It is a nightmare when you first start.

Thanks for the info.

harrawaffa:
van work through agency the likelihood is it’ll be high volume multidrop. You’ll be given a sheet of addreses and a van full of packages and told to crack on. It is a nightmare when you first start.

So I thought, any other suggestions about how to get me started?

Benigno:
Thanks for the info.

harrawaffa:
van work through agency the likelihood is it’ll be high volume multidrop. You’ll be given a sheet of addreses and a van full of packages and told to crack on. It is a nightmare when you first start.

So I thought, any other suggestions about how to get me started?

Go for it. If it’s not for you then at least you’ve tried it. The big supermarkets are always looking for home delivery drivers. That would let you get a feel for a driving job without the pressure of 100 drops a day.

Orys would be a good man to talk to but I believe he’s not been about for quite a while now but he used to do van work all over Europe from Glasgow too I think and told a good story.

Transline probably have an “office” near you as they seem to cover much of the country, although you did ask for good and bad - would suggest they come very much under the latter, especially as they’ll push you into an umbrella scheme for payment then make you a director of a Ltd company without even asking (all for their own benefit).

Their only advantage is they have a lot of contracts with van work such as Argos, but to make decent pay you’ll need to embrace all the dodgy tax practices mentioned above and will be dropped like a stone when a Romanian comes along and works for less money. Know a couple of people who were on Argos via them and had this very treatment.

Personally I’d skip the van driving thing and just go into 7.5T or class 2 as it won’t make any difference if you’ve driven a van to employers or done multi-drop especially if you go through an agency (they’ll lie about what you’ve done anyway).

Why not try first bus get free training on p.s.v. Then save up for hgv while driving buses op

Try Sure Recruitment

Be wary of AM2PM.