Newbie South Wales

Hi all. Just passed my Class 2 down here in sunny South Wales. Now all the fun starts of finding a job. I have my CPC card and Digital card and am just waiting on my updated licence. Where would be the best place to start looking for a job down this way? I have looked at a few jobs it’s etc and the bulk of them ask for driving experience from 6 months plus. Or should I go to somewhere like manpower for them to do the searching. Bit confused what’s the best to get me out on the road.

Whereabouts in South Wales?

kjw21:
Whereabouts in South Wales?

Bridgend area but originally from the Swansea Valley

If you fancy getting your ADR - Clarkes

CJ Bird (never seen them advertise though)

TDW do pallet network deliveries.

KCS at Aberthaw (tippers)

Greggs

Braces Bread

Warburtons

John T Evans, Barry (think they got bought by palletways though)

Owens run rigids as well but don’t know which depots.

TWT, Ysytrad Mynach

AF Blakemores/Spar, Pontyclun.

Fair few small tipper firms about as well as the usual builders merchants.

My personal opinion - try direct first. By direct I mean physically go and speak to them. Don’t email. It’s harder to say no to your face than to a load of pixels on a screen, and you never know if they have just had something crop up there and then they need a driver for.

If you want to try different types of transport - agency is the way forward - obviously with the downside of no guaranteed wages etc.

I have zero experience of agency so I’m in no position to offer an opinion on that.

:smiley: :smiley:

Yeah I echo what kjw21 said, go to these businesses in person, be honest about wanting to start and you’ll be given a go if you’re keen. Good luck mate.

I’d be tempted to try Allied Bakeries(kingsmill) in Cardiff-rumour has it that there are always shifts going, a wide variety of
wagons to play in 7.5t 12t 15t 18t and artic to see what you prefer. work can be a bit on the physical side at times if you end up for example 8 tons of bread to drop
around Bristol but its mostly a good crack,fairly relaxed atmosphere and someone is always on hand to help if needed.
cheers Richie

Breadman:
I’d be tempted to try Allied Bakeries(kingsmill) in Cardiff-rumour has it that there are always shifts going, a wide variety of
wagons to play in 7.5t 12t 15t 18t and artic to see what you prefer. work can be a bit on the physical side at times if you end up for example 8 tons of bread to drop
around Bristol but its mostly a good crack,fairly relaxed atmosphere and someone is always on hand to help if needed.
cheers Richie

I was suppose to do a early Saturday morning shift there a few weeks back with an agency but got cancelled at 8pm on the Friday after id been working my other job allday. Was quite gutted.

I’m looking at N R Evans in Crosshands atm, I rung them up and they offered me an assessment drive straight away, only trouble is my digi tacho card and cpc card haven’t arrived yet, so waiting for them, then cracking on with it. I was suggested Mansel Davies as they are closer to where I live but apparently they only pay £7.50ph double time overtime and triple time on sundays.

Thanks guys I will take a look.

FTBlunder:
I’m looking at N R Evans in Crosshands atm, I rung them up and they offered me an assessment drive straight away, only trouble is my digi tacho card and cpc card haven’t arrived yet, so waiting for them, then cracking on with it. I was suggested Mansel Davies as they are closer to where I live but apparently they only pay £7.50ph double time overtime and triple time on sundays.

Any joy? Just noticed they have one in Cardiff also

FTBlunder:

Did you have the drive? How did it go??

Thread resurrection alert: No I never got the drive, the DVLA lady didn’t pick up on my error on the tacho card form that basically told the DVLA that I was an immigrant, so had to send it off again. :laughing: By the time it finally came back to me the christmas rush was over and they only wanted experienced drivers as usual.