My C+E training diary

Day 1

I have consolidated all the days into this first thread so you don’t have to read the rest of the drivel unless you wish to lol
Today was my first day at PSTT.

I left home at about 20 past ten as I thought I knew where they were. Turns out I sailed past the turn and was a fair war down the road still looking for the turn. So I pulled over and with the modern technology we take for granted set up Sat nag on my phone.

I turned around seeing as I had gone too far to be greeted with a PSTT rigid in front of me, sod the nag I will follow him lol

I arrived at the centre about 25 to 11.

I went in and was greeted by the lady in reception sorry I never asked your name, how rude of me. She duly checked my licence and told me about the free drinks machine and the rest of the facilities. We engaged in some small talk whilst I was waiting which helped pass the short amount of time. I had a hot chocolate while waiting, and I was given a pair of gloves, good job as left mine at home like a wally even though I had my own hi viz.

Then Nick arrived on the scene and we were introduced, we then went off to the vehicle we would be using in a rather fetching colour. For some reason all I could think of was Tango and I don’t much like Tango.

Nick showed me around the truck and then explained the reverse manoeuvre and what he wanted me to do. He asked questions about what I have done, as I have been shunting for a year I opted to just have a bash at it and see what happened.

I had a few attempts and was getting the trailer far to far over and once went over the line on the nearside. Nick each time told me to just start again and explained what I was doing wrong. He could see I was used to reversing and was just getting my bearings. After a few attempts I did a good enough job and Nick said it was fine as it would be a pass.

Now happy with that it was time to head out into the big wide world in the Jaffa truck!

Nick very kindly allowed me to drive out of the yard with some guidance rather than taking me for a short drive first. So off we went out of the estate, round both corners with instruction from Nick, up to the T junction, then when it was clear I set off, pulling out into the road to give me the room so the rear wheels would miss the kerb. Possibly took slightly more room than I would need in the real world but it is better to take the room you need than kerb those nice shiny wheels of the Jaffa lol

Following instructions we set off and Nick was very clear about what he wanted me to do and where to place the truck at junctions etc.

As time went by Nick was not saying a lot to me and I was worried he was withdrawing into himself or he had his eyes shut. Thankfully that was not the case he was observing me driving and only telling me where to go and instructing me of anything that might catch me out. In fact he probably told me where to go several times, but I was focused on trying to do a good job and might have missed it.

He then asked me what the speed limit on the road I was on, 30mph says I, houses and street lights chances are it will be a 30. You can get some more speed up says Nick, but I’m doing 30 says me, to which Nick replied your looking at KM’S not MPH aren’t you. Oops said me what a wally lol so off we went with a bit more speed.

We had a good drive with some small talk with the odd instruction as required, Nick tested me by taking me on some tights turns and the tight lane and a mix of speed limits.

I did get the front wheel up the kerb at a set of lights that previously I had nailed the first time we did it, just one of those things but it is a tight turn.

A couple of comments on a few things I need to work on but mainly a good drive with very little intervention from Nick.

Ended back up the test centre, Nick asked me to park the trailer and drop it on the hard standing as far to the left as possible (looking straight at the hardstanding or right from the drivers point of view). After straightening the unit and trailer up a bit by shunting forward I then stuck it almost smack on the edge of the concrete nice and tight as requested. At which point a comment was made about what an easy week Nick was having with trainees lol

So there we have it first day done, went very well with just the odd issue but excellent training and a patient instructor.

Another day tomorrow with an early start, will I be as on the ball or not?

Tune in for part 2 tomorrow at some point.

Day 2.

Uggh an early start today, had to be up at 630am, I don’t like mornings at all.

Got to the centre with plenty of time to spare.

Out to the truck and some reverse practises again, getting better with the odd falter still. A few more goes and it is soon time to hit the road again. Practised uncouple/couple a couple of times too. When you have connected up, don’t forget to ask the Examiner to please check your rear lights for you.

Off we go out into the big wide world again for the second time, this time though it’s 8am and it’s not quite the pleasant experience it was yesterday, kids and pedestrians galore the worst thing you need around a truck. So it’s a lot of mirror usage today and being prepared for the unexpected to happen. Checking the left mirror every time we pass a pedestrian or parked cars.

Making sure we use the road where I need it when overtaking parked cars and giving enough early warning of the road we need to oncoming vehicles, not bullying them but gently persuading them to give us some room, again had quite a few very nice people who stopped and let me through, watching that speed in 20mph zones and tight areas and when overtaking, hanging back and using the right hand indicator to request drivers to give us time to move off safely.

Nick commented that my use of mirrors was much better today, a couple of times I did forget my right shoulder check when moving off and again a couple of comments on keep using those mirrors. I don’t remember him saying anything about following distances or approach speeds or stopping with enough room between me and the vehicle in front today.

Some more tight turns again today, some where we take the middle of both lanes to make the room we need to get round, others where Nick confidently states left lane no problem. A couple of times I was like really? As Nick said though perfectly doable It is all about looking ahead and seeing what road you need to complete the turn and making the decision as to how much road you need.

Some turns where we go quite a way forward before we start to turn using all the road space we have available, making sure we have enough room to get those rear axles round the corner without kerbing it, also using those mirrors a lot whilst turning and watching the swing of the front of the trailer on railings and street furniture. Using those wide angle mirrors to get a view of where the back axles are when they disappear out of view in the main mirrors.

I did make a really silly mistake today, coming up to a mini roundabout, I could have sworn the car was indicating left so went on and the car was indicating right, that would more than likely have cost me a fail. But hey I am only human odd mistakes are allowed as long as they are not on test day. Anyway learn from it and don’t do it again.

Took a right turn at a t junction where we needed to be up to the line and get a left kink on the truck to be able to see left for oncoming vehicles again no major problem, just make sure you read the road ahead and have what you need to be able to complete the turn.

Stopped for a brew and a sneaky sausage cob today lush lol

More driving of much the same around Shirebrook and surrounding areas, tight lane time again and some NSL etc etc. Started to rain as I expected around half 9 but not too bad so just watching that speed in areas required.

Back to the test centre a little early, so we will do a couple more reverse practises, first one good enough, second time too close to the post on the NS, spent too much time watching the post and looking at the floor markings, whoops there goes the boards at the back of the parking area onto the floor. Nick shouted Whoa in plenty of time I just did not react as I was too engrossed in watching that pole, I should have took a shunt forward to get my position right and that would have been a minor mark, sadly the second thing today that would have cost me my test. Give us a hand standing the poles and boards back up please says Nick, no problem.

That’s is for the day, like I say two daft mistakes which I am sure I won’t make the same mistake twice.

So yeah i expected to be a little worse today on a few things and expected to be better on a few things, progression is the key.

Day 3 tomorrow and hopefully a better day tomorrow, let’s hope it stays dry please lol

Day 3.

Much of the same again, lots of tight turns, a bit of motorway, lot’s of town work.

Today mostly Nick gave me as little instruction as he could and let me choose what to do at junctions and I pretty much nailed them all from memory.

Just a couple of times he had to tell me to get it moving where I was being maybe slightly cautious, not overly cautious but giving cars too much of a chance to zip out in front of me.

Handled all the idiots squeezing down the side of me no bother too.

Did a couple of reverses first thing, all good did a couple again at the end and the obligatory trailer drops as well, and just for a change drop the trailer and parallel park on the opposite side for a change.

Back at the test centre he asked me to park the trailer on the hard standing next to the other trailer that was parked where I dropped one yesterday, this time with a trailer on the right and I was dropping mine on the left. Nice and tight to the left of the concrete says Nick, Ok says I. (right and left as the view from my mirrors that is)

So i did what I would normally do, got it in a decent’ish position to start with and headed in the direction of the space, bit of right hand down and left hand down as required and again stuck it nice and straight and CM’s between the tyres and the edge of the hardstanding.

Then I heard “look at this we have a show off” lol and a lady he was talking to said that was very impressive driving. I have been shunting trailers for over a year so I do know how to park them. I am not big headed but I can park a trailer. He then asked me to go and park the “Jaffa” in the garage between the two M.A.N trucks as that was done for the day.

So sod it I may as well feel a little smug why the heck not lol

He says I can deffo do it Monday, I can drive the thing, I know the size, mirrors, shoulder checks, I can turn it and reverse it and most of my decisions were spot on. he did say to just be careful as my confidence has grown even more, and just said slow it down just a tad at times but other than that my driving it pretty much spot on.

He has been a great instructor throughout the whole deal so far, but we have also been able to hammer out all the possible test routes at the reversing took very little time to get that right for me being a shunter.

One more day of driving with Nick then test will be Monday, really looking forward to my test now, I know I can do it just need to keep doing what I am as Nick says.

Day 4 tomorrow.

Day 4.

Time for today’s write up. Where do I start?

Plonker Rodney you, rearrange into a suitable sentence!!!

Ok it’s an early start again not my strongest point I will admit, I am just not a morning person OK!!!

Onto the grid and the engines are fired up, raring to go waiting for a green light (Test centre not the BTCC grid :grimacing: ), get the thumbs up from Nick to start the reverse, fine and dandy no bother 1 minor mark as I touched the yellow line, even though I can do it without doing so. Never mind no one is perfect. Lines myself up in the right place, engine off and door shut (important bit that every time you get out of the truck engine off door shut) walk to the back, back end is across the line, perfect that’s a pass says Nick.

Could you please drop the trailer and parallel park next to it? says Nick. Drop trailer and do everything right and park next to trailer excellent!

OK could you please pick up the trailer like it is one you have never seen before? Says Nick.

Off I go and reverse up to the trailer as central as I can with an equal amount of trailer in view in both mirrors, with a safe distance between the unit and trailer, engine off and door shut again.

OK here we go, walks to the trailer and do the trailer checks, bang on the side rails a couple of times to make sure they are secure, bang the spray suppression arches and check the tyres and wheel nuts and check the height of the 5th Wheel all good so far! Round the other side to do the same. Get back in truck and reverse to engage the Kingpin into the 5th wheel, clunk, double tug forward to make sure. Get out of cab engine off door shut. Put the clip in for the 5th wheel release, raise the legs, connect the airlines and suzies and parking brake off!

Feeling smug thinking that was pretty decent to be greeted with “I am sorry to tell you that you have failed!” By this time you could have picked my jaw up off the floor literally, I was gobsmacked I am sure I did it all right, didn’t I?

What I forgot to do was check the park brake before I did my checks and before I reversed under the trailer, how could I make such a daft mistake? Every other time near enough I did a trailer drop I have checked it not once but twice, once before I start the trailer check and once after coming back round the other side. This time I did not and that would have been a fail. Some very wise words from Nick “Don’t beat yourself up about it, I would rather you make that stupid mistake now rather than Monday on your test, just don’t do it again” Sage counsel indeed and noted a simple lapse of concentration and that can be it.

So back out onto the road again for the last day again lots of the same pretty much, round test routes, down Sookholme lane (max 30 mph along here even though it is a 50mph speed limit, watch for cars behind you as they do overtake you in a desperate attempt to get past a slow moving truck. Come to the really tight bend, speed right down coming up to it, maybe 10mph as you reach the bend, hook the cab left onto the gravel drive on the corner to get a good look round the corner and give me the room I need to get round it, all good off we go. What a fun lane that is not!!

Revisit to the corner of doom at the traffic lights where I got the front wheel up the kerb, round it no problem although I did just graze the kerb with the rear tyres, not mounting the kerb but that is OK.

A couple of poor decisions along the way today, a little hesitation at one set of lights or too much speed approaching the light laters and had to stop a little quicker than is ideal.

We have a generally good day and have a stop off for a cob and cuppa half way round so the day slowly gets better, again Nick says to me just slow it down a bit at times, ease off a bit if the lights have been green for a long time as they will likely change, just be careful. Everything else again pretty much spot on according to Nick, absolutely no reason why I should not be able to pass on Monday.

So back to the centre and park the unit and trailer onto the hard standing next to the Red MAN, pulls it round and forward and backs it into place no bother, bit of right and left hand down as required and there she is, parked up. Next time I see her and drive her will be Monday test day, or as I prefer to call it D day lol

So yeah not the best of days, but time to reflect on what could have been had it been test day, what not to do and go through it all in my head as much as I can this weekend, apart form watching the BTCC on Sunday. I am going to do my damnedest to get it all so stuck into my brain I will be reciting everything word for word in my sleep Sunday night.

So now it is down to me, only I can make sure it is a pass equally I can ensure it is a fail if I do not concentrate and make sure I don’t rush things.

Nick has done all he can with me, there is little else he could do other than take the test for me lol

So tune in Monday for another exciting instalment of “MY C+E training diary” when I get round to updating it.

Thanks to all the viewers, thanks to all the well wishers, thanks to Nick and PSTT, Thanks to the decent driver all week letting me through and lastly thanks to the Big Jaffa, I am going to actually miss it once I have done in it on Monday.

Test day on Monday.

Test day today, day 5.

Well today was test day at 12:20pm.

I set off nice and early as I was feeling fairly nervous this morning and a bit sickly in the stomach, you know the feeling, maybe I should chuck some washing in my stomach lol churning rather well. I had a sausage cob for good luck as I was feeling a bit calmer and needed something to help settle my stomach a bit.

When I got to the centre there were a few people around to chat to, including one of own from here. We passed the time pretty well, with more good luck wishes.

Then Pete the examiner arrived and called my name, he then did a licence check and off we headed to the truck.

Pete explained how he wanted me to do the reverse so it was now or never. Select gear check both mirrors and a shoulder check and drive forward, line it to the left cone as long as the pole behind is still in view in the left mirror. Then time to reverse using those mirrors and watching where the unit wheels are in relation to the line. No problem all good no touching the line as I wanted to give myself the best chance to possibly have a clean sheet. Reverse across and back it into the coned area and get to where I think I am in the box. I may have got the thumbs up from Pete but I was too busy getting out the cab to check I was in the box, daft not to use the check to be sure as you can do that without gaining a minor. The whole doubting yourself for no apparent reason and just almost not believing your eyes.

This is where things started to go a little strange, I looked at the back and my eyes were saying its in but my brain was now doing overtime saying its not in enough I should move it back a touch to be sure. But then I didn’t want a minor for doing so, so I had a minute and Pete saw I was being a bit flustered and reminded me that the back needed to be past the line, if I wasn’t sure I could move it back again. At that point I just took a moment and looked at it and decided yes it was across the line and I was happy with it.

So it’s time to do the uncouple and re-couple, pull the whole lot forward a meter or two.
Engine off door shut, check the park brake, wind the legs down and stow the winding handle away, remove and stow the airlines correctly and then remove the dog clip and pull on the secondary kingpin release and pull the handle and make sure It locks out, back into the cab and pull forward a few inches to disengage the kingpin. Lower the truck suspension and draw the unit out from under the trailer and park next to it.

Time to now put the unit in front of the trailer leaving a safe working gap between the truck and trailer, engine off door shut. Straight to the parking brake and pull it for good measure to make sure it is out. Walk around the trailer doing the checks, bang a couple of times on the side rails, bang each mud guard and a visual check of tyres and wheel nuts. Back into the truck and reverse back until the 5th wheel is under the trailer but not too far in, level the suspension off and gently back until you hear and feel the clunk, tug it forwards twice, good tugs but not trying to drag it across the yard. Engine off door shut now the reverse procedure.

We use B.L.A.C.K at work, Brakes, legs, airlines, clip and kingpin, so reverse it Kingpin is in, put clip in, connect airlines, wind legs up and finally push the park brake in.

Now ask the examiner to please check your rear lights for you. Now it’s time to hit the road.

Out of the yard at a steady pace after a mirror and shoulder check, passing the parked cars checking those mirrors, up the end turn right after a quick shoulder check slowly up to next junction going as far forward until I see round the corner and can see it is clear, now turning and carrying on, up to the junction and it’s a left turn. To the nice little roundabout and head for the kerb first then the bollard (things you usually try and avoid in our line of work) in the centre of the first exit, then head for the bollard in the centre of the second exit finally head for the exit we want, what a fun island that is, watching the mirrors as often as you can and the wheels and the trailer swing.

Phew were doing OK and off we go, bit quiet just listening to Pete’s instructions as we approach junctions, generally feeling OK and starting to feel pretty good thinking this is going really well. Hold on tonto!!! Stop getting ahead of yourself and keep that ego in check otherwise it may just bite you in the ■■■.

We drive for a while then Pete asks me to follow the signs to Chesterfield for the independent drive, do that OK back to Pete directing.

Getting easier lots of mirror checks, shoulder checks and slowing it down near hazards or tight spaces, at each set of lights we have a quick chat about something to cut the silence in the atmosphere. Once moving again I start to shut up again and concentrate, after a while I felt more comfortable and occasionally make a comment while we are moving but still being careful to make sure I am not missing anything I should be concentrating on, we while the time away and before we know it heading back to the yard.

We come up the road and the instruction is “take your next left please” that is a great relief to hear the test is almost over. Round the last 2 corners to be greeted with a Rigid coming out of the yard, stop and allow him through as he is already on the way, second one also on it’s way so wait again, and back into the yard and park up on the left.

And take a big deep breath, it’'s over now time to find out my fate and see if I did as well as I thought I had.

Hearing those fantastic words " I am pleased to tell you, you have passed" " really I have?" “yes and a clean sheet as well”

Well you could have knocked me down with a feather at that point, hearing the result of a pass was music to my ears, to add a clean sheet too well that is just pretty amazing I didn’t think in my wildest dreams I would have managed a clean sheet.

That’s it, sign my name thank Nick and Pete again and leave my Licence with Pete, now it’s time for some photo’s in front of the truck looking pretty bloody smug!!

Done finito the end!!! The end of a great journey and the start of many more great journeys.

Thanks for reading and I hope it helps others as to what to expect and what ca happen if you do your best and have a bit of self belief in yourself and try hard.

That’s a great start. In Nick you have a very experienced truck driver who I trained about 11 or 12 years ago to instruct. He has used his experience and expertise and not fallen into the common trap of “over instruction”. You will progress quickly as a result without having stuff that is obvious to you pointed out all the time.

But don’t be afraid to shout up if you have any doubts about anything at all.

Glad you’re enjoying it and hope the rest of the training goes well followed by a successful test.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Pete, i really can’t fault your company, the trucks the instructors all of it.

You clearly take a lot of pride in your business which is a rare thing to see in my opinion and so do your staff, it really does show.

It sounds like I am just praising the place too much, but it really is a great place. (You have my address for the brown envelope on file lol)

I have never felt so at ease and usually I am quite a nervous person in that type of scenario, although as I said to Nick being that I have been shunting trailers around for quite some time I do have a head start on a feel for the vehicle and the size and turning of trailers to someone who hasn’t had that advantage.

In fact I have a feeling Nick threw everything at me all in one day, we did what seemed a lot on my first day. We were only out of the yard for about 2 hours of the day and it felt like I had driven a lot farther than I had, bearing in mind I am no slouch at driving long distances and getting on with the job.

We did a hill start, an angled start, some built up areas, some countryside, NSL and a tight lane that you would never do 50mph on in a truck unless you are brain dead.

I have tried to encompass most of the day but there was so much to think about it’s almost a blur already.

You clearly take a lot of pride in your business which is a rare thing to see in my opinion and so do your staff, it really does show.

You hit the nail right on the head. Yes, I’m unbelievably proud of the company, it’s infrastructure and staff. Unfortunately this can sometimes be misinterpreted as arrogance. Anyone who knows me will be aware this isn’t the case. But I am extremely defensive of what I (with excellent staff) have built up over the last 30+ years.

I believe most customers realise they’re at a great place and it’s great when it’s fed back to me.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Personally I think word of mouth is still one of the best ways or drumming up not only new business but retaining existing business.

If I had Pete’s business I would as rightly as him be very proud of it.

Day 2.

Uggh an early start today, had to be up at 630am, I don’t like mornings at all.

Got to the centre with plenty of time to spare.

Out to the truck and some reverse practises again, getting better with the odd falter still. A few more goes and it is soon time to hit the road again. Practised uncouple/couple a couple of times too. When you have connected up, don’t forget to ask the Examiner to please check your rear lights for you.

Off we go out into the big wide world again for the second time, this time though it’s 8am and it’s not quite the pleasant experience it was yesterday, kids and pedestrians galore the worst thing you need around a truck. So it’s a lot of mirror usage today and being prepared for the unexpected to happen. Checking the left mirror every time we pass a pedestrian or parked cars.

Making sure we use the road where I need it when overtaking parked cars and giving enough early warning of the road we need to oncoming vehicles, not bullying them but gently persuading them to give us some room, again had quite a few very nice people who stopped and let me through, watching that speed in 20mph zones and tight areas and when overtaking, hanging back and using the right hand indicator to request drivers to give us time to move off safely.

Nick commented that my use of mirrors was much better today, a couple of times I did forget my right shoulder check when moving off and again a couple of comments on keep using those mirrors. I don’t remember him saying anything about following distances or approach speeds or stopping with enough room between me and the vehicle in front today.

Some more tight turns again today, some where we take the middle of both lanes to make the room we need to get round, others where Nick confidently states left lane no problem. A couple of times I was like really? As Nick said though perfectly doable It is all about looking ahead and seeing what road you need to complete the turn and making the decision as to how much road you need.

Some turns where we go quite a way forward before we start to turn using all the road space we have available, making sure we have enough room to get those rear axles round the corner without kerbing it, also using those mirrors a lot whilst turning and watching the swing of the front of the trailer on railings and street furniture. Using those wide angle mirrors to get a view of where the back axles are when they disappear out of view in the main mirrors.

I did make a really silly mistake today, coming up to a mini roundabout, I could have sworn the car was indicating left so went on and the car was indicating right, that would more than likely have cost me a fail. But hey I am only human odd mistakes are allowed as long as they are not on test day. Anyway learn from it and don’t do it again.

Took a right turn at a t junction where we needed to be up to the line and get a left kink on the truck to be able to see left for oncoming vehicles again no major problem, just make sure you read the road ahead and have what you need to be able to complete the turn.

Stopped for a brew and a sneaky sausage cob today lush lol

More driving of much the same around Shirebrook and surrounding areas, tight lane time again and some NSL etc etc. Started to rain as I expected around half 9 but not too bad so just watching that speed in areas required.

Back to the test centre a little early, so we will do a couple more reverse practises, first one good enough, second time too close to the post on the NS, spent too much time watching the post and looking at the floor markings, whoops there goes the boards at the back of the parking area onto the floor. Nick shouted Whoa in plenty of time I just did not react as I was too engrossed in watching that pole, I should have took a shunt forward to get my position right and that would have been a minor mark, sadly the second thing today that would have cost me my test. Give us a hand standing the poles and boards back up please says Nick, no problem.

That’s is for the day, like I say two daft mistakes which I am sure I won’t make the same mistake twice.

So yeah i expected to be a little worse today on a few things and expected to be better on a few things, progression is the key.

Day 3 tomorrow and hopefully a better day tomorrow, let’s hope it stays dry please lol

Great diary Simcor, glad it’s going well, best of luck and make sure you enjoy that free coffee! :smiley:

I love winding Pete up, as having seen and used his set up, it’s the only angle he’s left me with! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Everything else is spot on…And now even the coffee! :wink:

Evil8Beezle:
Great diary Simcor, glad it’s going well, best of luck and make sure you enjoy that free coffee! :smiley:

I love winding Pete up, as having seen and used his set up, it’s the only angle he’s left me with! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Everything else is spot on…And now even the coffee! :wink:

Cheers EB, I am trying to get as much info in for people who read it thinking about going for a licence upgrade from a “Van” lol it’s maybe a little bit mashed up here and there but there is so much goign on whilst your driving compared to the “real world”, by the end of it I can’t really remember what happened where lol

The worst bit is I am really enjoying driving an Iveco too :open_mouth: but it is actually as nice as truck as some more expensive trucks I have been in, it was a top spec flagship truck for a dealer though, that is why it is fully loaded.

I actually met the gentleman himself today when I was there and had a chat with him, a thoroughly nice guy and deserves to be proud of his trucks and set up there, i bloody would be if it was mine.

LOL, yeah I couldn’t remember much after a lesson as you’re concentrating so much, it’s surprising how tiring it is…
That’s why I was glad to do the residential course and chill the rest of the time to recover for the next day!
Your goal now that you’re starting to get comfortable driving something bigger than a VAN :wink:, is to gain confidence in knowing that as long as you do everything as you know you can, you can’t and won’t fail the test.

I’ve not seen Tango, I was in the big red MAN which is also a nice a truck…

Evil8Beezle:
LOL, yeah I couldn’t remember much after a lesson as you’re concentrating so much, it’s surprising how tiring it is…
That’s why I was glad to do the residential course and chill the rest of the time to recover for the next day!
Your goal now that you’re starting to get comfortable driving something bigger than a VAN :wink:, is to gain confidence in knowing that as long as you do everything as you know you can, you can’t and won’t fail the test.

I’ve not seen Tango, I was in the big red MAN which is also a nice a truck…

Totally agree mate, I am still feeling confident I can do it. Nick says I am more than capable and I can do all the turns we have taken and I can do the reverse no problem. Just this afternoon doing some more and I just was not concentrating enough.

Day 3.

Much of the same again, lots of tight turns, a bit of motorway, lot’s of town work.

Today mostly Nick gave me as little instruction as he could and let me choose what to do at junctions and I pretty much nailed them all from memory.

Just a couple of times he had to tell me to get it moving where I was being maybe slightly cautious, not overly cautious but giving cars too much of a chance to zip out in front of me.

Handled all the idiots squeezing down the side of me no bother too.

Did a couple of reverses first thing, all good did a couple again at the end and the obligatory trailer drops as well, and just for a change drop the trailer and parallel park on the opposite side for a change.

Back at the test centre he asked me to park the trailer on the hard standing next to the other trailer that was parked where I dropped one yesterday, this time with a trailer on the right and I was dropping mine on the left. Nice and tight to the left of the concrete says Nick, Ok says I. (right and left as the view from my mirrors that is)

So i did what I would normally do, got it in a decent’ish position to start with and headed in the direction of the space, bit of right hand down and left hand down as required and again stuck it nice and straight and CM’s between the tyres and the edge of the hardstanding.

Then I heard “look at this we have a show off” lol and a lady he was talking to said that was very impressive driving. I have been shunting trailers for over a year so I do know how to park them. I am not big headed but I can park a trailer. He then asked me to go and park the “Jaffa” in the garage between the two M.A.N trucks as that was done for the day.

So sod it I may as well feel a little smug why the heck not lol

He says I can deffo do it Monday, I can drive the thing, I know the size, mirrors, shoulder checks, I can turn it and reverse it and most of my decisions were spot on. he did say to just be careful as my confidence has grown even more, and just said slow it down just a tad at times but other than that my driving it pretty much spot on.

He has been a great instructor throughout the whole deal so far, but we have also been able to hammer out all the possible test routes at the reversing took very little time to get that right for me being a shunter.

One more day of driving with Nick then test will be Monday, really looking forward to my test now, I know I can do it just need to keep doing what I am as Nick says.

Well it seems there is only 3 of us interested in my training diary.

I thought i would have had more comments on it even if just to say it’s a load of crap lol

I’m keeping an eye this! Really good write up simcor!

I start my C+E training on Tuesday next week! I’ve only done 3 driving shifts since passing my class 2 last month. That and a couple reverse manoeuvres, yard driving and coupling and uncoupling in my work! Not done as much practice as I wanted! Doesn’t help when the yard is getting ripped up just now either!

Least you have the experience of shunting which must be a great help?

Look forward to seeing your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty more will be lurking mate, they’re just shy…

Good that it’s going well and you’re feeling confident, just don’t get over confident and take your eye off the ball!
Best of luck! :smiley:

simcor:

I thought i would have had more comments on it even if just to say it’s a load of crap lol

While only a few people have commented, it has been viewed nearly 350 times, so don’t feel too bad about it.

Keep up the good work, and good luck on Monday.

Tricky 21 Jan:
I’m keeping an eye this! Really good write up simcor!

I start my C+E training on Tuesday next week! I’ve only done 3 driving shifts since passing my class 2 last month. That and a couple reverse manoeuvres, yard driving and coupling and uncoupling in my work! Not done as much practice as I wanted! Doesn’t help when the yard is getting ripped up just now either!

Least you have the experience of shunting which must be a great help?

Look forward to seeing your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with it pal, take your time and ask anything you think is relevant even if you think it is a stupid question. Listen to what your instructor says most of them know what they are doing and they should be honest with you.

I have said it all along and Nick has agreed with me the shunting time I have done has really helped me a lot, after a few goes on reverse he was happy with it enough to get me out learning the test routes, as he said the more time getting that right is less time on the roads.

Reversing them is actually a doddle to be honest, they are massive it’s not like like trying to reverse a small trailer, I have a small trailer and I can’t reverse that thing hardly at all, it turns on a six pence lol once you learn how much steering input moves it and where the trailer is going it’s easy enough in a large trailer.

Take it easy when doing tight turns and use those mirrors I can’t emphasise that enough, literally every few seconds, every time you pass a side road, every time you pass pedestrians, bus stop the lot, if you have not got neck ache from checking your mirrors your not checking them enough lol Road positions also important especially on narrow roads just don’t smash the nearside mirror on street furniture.

Nick has taught this week to get your road position early enough to give oncoming traffic warning you need the room you do, they will move out the way, not barging your way through and be prepared to stop if need be but they mostly will move to give you the room you need, keep that speed steady in busy areas and when passing parked cars etc not too fast but not too slow either.

Evil8Beezle:

Good that it’s going well and you’re feeling confident, just don’t get over confident and take your eye off the ball!

Yep I know what you mean pal, believe me I will most likely be a fair bit nervous on test day so I doubt I will be over confident, I hate tests always have done as the nerves really set in lol

F-reds:

simcor:

While only a few people have commented, it has been viewed nearly 350 times, so don’t feel too bad about it.

Keep up the good work, and good luck on Monday.

I don’t feel bad about it pal, just would be nice to get some feedback from others if it us useful/helpful or not.

Note to self stop putting Lol on everything for god’s sake man!!!

330 of them views are probably me :grimacing:

simcor:

Evil8Beezle:

Yep I know what you mean pal, believe me I will most likely be a fair bit nervous on test day so I doubt I will be over confident, I hate tests always have done as the nerves really set in lol

I little bit of nerves can be good, just as long as it’s accompanied with plenty of belief…