Class 1 Reverse

Passed my Class 1 almost 2 years ago now over in Ireland where it is reverse around a corner choice of which reverse which is left to the discretion of the tester .
Anyway where the reverses were usually done on a quiet enough public road ,residents complained and started objecting to the RSA(road safety authority ).
so what they did was decide to was to construct a new place for the reverse exercise which consisted of speedily using waste ground and tarmacked it and put down plastic kerbs .
My instructor told me he tried reversing around this newly formed corner and informed me it is almost impossible without taking a few shunts ,went there with him before they closed it off with a barrier my attempts were terrible it was a case of having to jack knife and get around .

Instructors complained to the testers and were told they realise the problem it is set out wrong and will be rectified soon in the meantime they agreed that as many shunts as needed are allowed without faults .

so on my test dreaded this new compound had myself convinced no wont be passing because of it ,it was a blindside reverse anyway drove in and stopped past the corner went reversing full lock rear axle trailer wheels which was rear steer were too close to the nearside kerb to recover so shunted and made another attempt anyway after about 2 attempts or 3 attempts I was getting really stressed the tester came straight up to the windscreen and eye balled me ,sheer fear and panic stricken across my face ,inner thoughts were oh I cant be here for the day :frowning: just to tell him to cancel the test ,

knew I had to do something so decided oh what the hell this is a fail and drove the cab over the plastic kerb and out into the rough got trailer and cab in line to reverse straight back in,had to rev a bit extra to get out of the rough and over the hump put the unit where it should be ,that’s me failed I thought and relieved at least I didn’t tell him to cancel the test .

Remembered my instructor saying whatever happens even if you think you have failed keep going like it hasn’t ,so that’s what I did felt relaxed as I had nothing to loose now just did the rest of the route like I was shown.Got back to the test centre and walking in I didn’t expect to be disappointed or didn’t feel any apprehension as I was convinced I would hear the words sorry on this occasion you haven’t passed ,so sat down and the tester said im pleased to say you have passed ,I had to hide my sheer surprise and delight :smiley: he then just said the reverse was a bit iffy thought I would be there for the day :smiley: .

I thought the same that’s why I took drastic action of going off road I didn’t tell him that he knew .
Anyway the reverse worked to my advantage in the end as I drove with no pressure the rest of the route as I was convinced I had failed ,I thought no reason to get annoyed or drive the rest like I don’t care now ,I did the opposite well then at least it would be only fail for reverse and not a string of other faults .Anyway got no other faults just minors for reverse ,so advice being never give up