Drivers hours

hi could someone explain drivers hours to me . What hours can be driven in 1 day , in a week , and wen to take breaks etc etc getting abit confused by it thanks in advance

Dont think of how many hours you can drive, just get the numbers in your head. 9 hrs, a couple of 10’s a week and no more than 90 a fortnight…the rest will fall into place

Thanks that a great help someone I no said they drive 14/16hours a day and that confused me even more

Drivers Hours Regulations[/list:u]

Driving Breaks

• A driver must have a 45 minutes break immediately after accumulating 4½ hours driving.
  • The 45 minute driving break can be split into 2 parts, the first part must be at-least 15 minutes, the second part must be at-least 30 minutes, and they must be taken in that order.

Whenever a break of 45 minutes or more is taken, or when a split driving break is completed, a new 4½ hour driving period begins.

Examples:
Drive - 3 hours
Break - 45 minutes
The driving time is reset and you can drive for another 4½ hours before having another break.

Drive … 2½ hours
Other work … 1 hour
Drive … 2 hours
Break … 45 minutes (The driving time is reset)
Drive … 4½ hours
Break … 45 minutes
This is legal

(Split driving breaks)
Other work … 30 minutes
Drive … 1 hour
Break … 15 minutes
driver … 2 hours
Break … 30 minutes (The driving time is reset)
Drive … 4½ hours
Break … 45 minutes
This is legal

Drive … 1 hour
Break … 30 minutes
Drive … 3½ hours
Break … 15 minutes (This break should have been 30 minutes)
Drive … 4½ hours
Break … 45 minutes
This is not legal
In this case the split break was taken the wrong way round, the 30 minute break counted as the first part of a split break (15 minutes) so the second break should have been 30 minutes instead of 15.

(This would result in an infringement for exceeding 4½ hours driving without the required breaks)

Driving

• Maximum 9 hours driving between daily rest periods.
  • Maximum driving between daily rest periods can be extended to 10 hours twice a week.
  • Maximum 56 hours driving per week.
  • Maximum 90 hours driving in any 2 consecutive weeks.

The daily driving time can be split up into any combination of driving periods as long as no more than 4½ hours driving is accumulated before having a 45minute break.

Examples:
(9 hour driving shift)
Other work … 1 hour
Drive … 4½ hours
Break … 45 minutes
Drive … 4½ hours
Break … 45 minutes
Other work … 30 minutes
End of shift

(10 hour driving shift)
Other work … 15 minutes
Drive … 3½ hours
Break … 15 minutes
Drive … 1 hour
Break… 30 minutes
Drive … 3 hours
Break … 45 minutes
Drive … 2½ hours
Other work … 15 minutes
End of shift

Daily Rest

• Must have a daily rest period of at-least 11 hours within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift (maximum 13 hour shift).
  • The daily rest period can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times between 2 weekly rest periods (maximum 15 hour shift).
  • Reduced daily rest periods do not have to be compensated for.
  • A regular daily rest period can be taken in two parts, the first part can be taken at any time and must be at-least 3 consecutive hours, the second part must be at-least 9 consecutive hours and must be completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift (maximum 15 hour shift).

Any part of a rest period that does not fall within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift will not count towards the daily rest period

For instance if you start at 06:00 and finish work at 19:15 then have 11 hours rest until 06:15 it will count as a reduced daily rest period, from the end of the shift at 19:15 to 06:00 (24 hours from the start of the shift) is only 10¾ hours.
So even though you’ve had 11 hours rest it’s a reduced daily rest period because only 10¾ hours of it was inside the 24 hour period from the start of the shift at 06:00.

Weekly Rest

• Must have a weekly rest period of at-least 45 hours in a week.
  • Weekly rest period can be reduced to no less than 24 hours-
  • In any two consecutive weeks you must have at-least 1 regular 45 hour weekly rest period and 1 reduced weekly rest period.
  • Compensation for reduced weekly rest periods must be paid back en block no later than the end of the third week following the week in which the reduced weekly rest period was taken.

Hi Tachograph, that’s a great breakdown of the driving reg’s,

You should send that to the help section, unless there’s something like it there already loll!

Great post tachograph

did you compile that yourself from scratch?

ROG:

Yes I’ve had it on the computer for a while and add to it as and when I think about it.

Why have you seen something similar somewhere ?

tachograph:

ROG:

Yes I’ve had it on the computer for a while and add to it as and when I think about it.

Why have you seen something similar somewhere ?

No - I was impressed and wondered if you had found such

Fantastic tachograph. That all makes much more sense now. Mind if I print that off?

Richienic:
Fantastic tachograph. That all makes much more sense now. Mind if I print that off?

Feel free, I’m pleased you find it helpful :slight_smile:

Can a 45 hour weekly rest go over 2 weeks, ie 7pm sunday night till 4pm Tuesday? Or does it all have to be in one week, 00.00 monday to 24.00 sunday?

damo84:
Can a 45 hour weekly rest go over 2 weeks, ie 7pm sunday night till 4pm Tuesday? Or does it all have to be in one week, 00.00 monday to 24.00 sunday?

Yes a weekly rest period can cross over two weeks (cross over midnight Sunday).

A weekly rest period that crosses over two weeks can be used for either week but not both.

damo84:

yes chap they can

Thanks tachograph and wildfire.

My boss seems to think the 4.5 hours is for driving only and he told me last night i can do
Drive 1 hour
Work 50 mins
Drive 1 hour
Work 45 mins
Drive 1 hour
Work 1 hour
Drive 1 hour 30 min

Before i can take a break and told me honestly you wont break the rules like that.

Im under the impression he not clued up on regs can someone clarify?

I thought if i do 2 hours total driving and 4 hours other work i must take atleast a 15 min break is this correct?.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jonbones89:
My boss seems to think the 4.5 hours is for driving only and he told me last night i can do
Drive 1 hour
Work 50 mins
Drive 1 hour
Work 45 mins
Drive 1 hour
Work 1 hour
Drive 1 hour 30 min

Before i can take a break and told me honestly you wont break the rules like that.

I thought if i do 2 hours total driving and 4 hours other work i must take atleast a 15 min break is this correct?.

Correct for driving time break
Incorrect for the 6 hour WTD break of 15 mins - over 7 hours worked without a 15 min break

Slot a 15 min break before the last 1.5 hour drive then take 30 mins after the 1.5 drive and that would make it legal

ROG:

Jonbones89:
Drive 1 hour
Work 50 mins
Drive 1 hour
Work 45 mins
Drive 1 hour
Work 1 hour
Drive 1 hour 30 min

Correct for driving time break
Incorrect for the 6 hour WTD break of 15 mins - over 7 hours worked without a 15 min break

Slot a 15 min break before the last 1.5 hour drive then take 30 mins after the 1.5 drive and that would make it legal

I work multi drop in class 2 and i say start at 8am if i do 3 hours of total driving and 3 hours of other work in total do i need to take that 15min break?.

And if i do need to take my break if i take 45mins does that wipe the slate and say i could do the same work for the next 6 hours?.

My drops are usually only within 30 to 40 mins of each other and maybe do 3 hours max total driving a day. I take a 30 min break about dinner time on an 8 til 5pm day am i breaking any laws?.

Jonbones89:
start at 8am if i do 3 hours of total driving and 3 hours of other work in total do i need to take that 15min break?.

YES

Jonbones89:
And if i do need to take my break if i take 45mins does that wipe the slate and say i could do the same work for the next 6 hours?.

YES

ROG:

Jonbones89:
start at 8am if i do 3 hours of total driving and 3 hours of other work in total do i need to take that 15min break?.

YES

Jonbones89:

YES

THANKS!!!
much appreciated mate.