My experience failed now doing in AUTOMATIC

Any one who thinks that stepping into a lorry thinking it’s easy is wrong with the 16 measly hours I booked with a broker now a great disappointment as I have realised that these people are crooks and charge you almost double what the company I’m doing my lessons with charges a general joe.

Day one all was going well up and down a hill round a few roundabouts went home thinking it should be fine with my test day after tomorrow.
Got to the next day and went through some towns and villages not in the right gear as the split box is causing me problems just could not get it.
The instructor tells me to pull in phones his boss to get a change of vehicle to a automatic (it was that bad) I said but I will only be able to drive auto he said the law changed. (Told my broker) THEY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THIS!!! If I was given the options I would of of done it to start of in an automatic then passed and took extra lessons on gears as a lot of other lorries have different boxes and as an employer some one with measly 16 hours then test in a lorrie has close to no experience with gears any way you need to be doing it day after day to get used to the gears.

Day 3 went to test my nerves are up the morning lesson went well the instructor said if you drive like you have been this morning you will pass so I had some comfort in that

Did the reverse perfect got out on the road and to some it up if you go to u tube and watch the dsa video of the bloke #ucking it up that bloke was me 8 minors 4 serious
Lots of crunching into the wrong gear once your on the bad run it only got worse
My broker has now charged me £1000 to resist the test with 8 hours training IN A AUTOMATIC.

So basically feel fleeced as would of been about £600 if I booked direct to that firm but surprise surprise you can’t do that you have to go through your broker

DONT USE BROKERS THEY SHOULD BE REGULATED THEY MISS SELL U ON YOUR FUTURE GUN YOU UP SO YOU THINK YOUR GETTING A GOOD DEAL THERE ADVERTISING IS MISLEADING THEY SAY THEY HAVE THERE OWN SCHOOLS THEY DONT BE WARNED

If that instructor cannot train you unless you go though a broker go to another trainer

This is something that I am also considering, whether or not it’ll be worth me going training in an auto rather than manual.

If you state your location perhaps you might get a recommended training school. Basically get rid of the broker.

Also four serious faults highlights there is more of problem regardless of the gearbox.

Paul :smiley:

Been messed about by a broker when I did mine first time around. Paid out of my pocket to go and do it at a decent school. Passed with only 6 minors.

Did you do 2 full 8 hours days of 1 to 1 then test on day 3 ?

I did

Day 1 was 4 hours actually 3 and a half by the time we got going
Day 2 was 7 hours actually 6 with breaks etc
Day 3 was 2 hours and test

So actually when you think about it I’ve been stitched on this which I paid £1400 for plus cpc was £1800 I’m at 3k now no pass yet it’s devastating I feel let down by the broker company I went with them as they offered me the finance.

I have phoned all the training schools around that test site as I don’t want to go to a new test area as I’ve been trained in that area and to start on new test routes would be a waste of my £1400. No trainers in Southampton who have a automatic

I can drive with the gears but when at a roundabout on a slope mirror mirror watch for the #wat coming on the small round about to fast get your switch down get the gear and go ANYTHING ELSE TO GET IN BEFORE I HAVE TO STOP FOR THE NEXT CAR it’s a nightmare

MY ADVICE TO ANY ONE WHO IS ABOUT TO BOOK DO IT IN A AUTOMATIC WHY MAKE IT HARD FOR YOUR SELF FOCUS ON YOUR HAZADS AND MIRRORS AND WHATS GOING ON AND YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF PASSING TAKE EXTRA LESSONS ON GEARS AFTER TO GET TRAINING ON THAT HOWEVER PUT YOUR SELF IN SHOES OF YOUR NEW EMPLOYER HI IM APPLYING FOR A JOB IVE HAD 16 hours behind the wheel of this truck but I’m fully qualified. :laughing: experience comes with the job u need to get used to the gears naturally whith day to day work I’m looking at working on lowest pay for 2 years to my experience if the broker tells you you will earn 28-36k a year they are talking #hit these people are liars and should be locked up for conning innocent students like me who just want a head start in life lorrie driving is no walk in park it’s all very well poodling about with an instructor but when you turn up at the local co op to reverse around a corner in the dark with your 11meter long 3metre wide rig and your 16 hours training good luck :unamused: I’m 100% going to need that. Or find a nice company to take me on @ 6.50 ph and then start my actual training. Apologies to sound so negative but I’m just trying to let people know my experience so they don’t make the foolish descion I did

Elmet training

Can’t I’m trapped no way out I read a post on here that in Kirkland in Scotland you can do your test there they have a amazing pass rate as there are only 6 roads lol I’m thinking about going there if I don’t pass

If the new auto law had not been introduced then what would you have done?

Done it with gears
But purchased garuntee pass plan :open_mouth:
And did mor lessons
I spoke with a guy who I starting up a training school and I told him my situation he said you have point it’s a easier way to pass without the distraction of the gears. The roads are busy and not what they used be and it’s constantly growing just look at the new roads
around the m25 it’s running out of room automatics are safer it sorts the gears for you
So your attention is on what’s going on its safer.

Most Class 2’s are manual. I think I’ve only driven 3 auto’s since passing, everything else is manual.

It sounds like you struggle to drive lorries full stop. You haven’t been shafted by driving a manual. Sounds like you are technically a terrible driver to begin with and looking for somebody else to blame. Nobody thinks its easy. Its not meant to be. But 16 hours is enough for many people to pass and has been for a long time. Even in a manual.

Also, you’ve come on here and posted to complain about being fleeced. But if you did your homework properly beforehand and read this forum you would have seen hundreds of threads and comments from people saying stay away from brokers. Its always the first piece of advice people are given on here. Some need to learn the hard way unfortunately.

I’m more than happy to work in manuals what I’m saying is that without the distraction of the gears. 16 hours or however long your training is it’s not enough to get out in the busy roads company’s need to offer additional training to help the pupil along a bit.
I’m fine with everything else I can move and operate the lorry fine mirrors etc I failed on two roundabouts as was in the wrong gear panicked and messed up

I passed about a month ago in a manual (slap over box) gears were my weakest skill (not terrible) I think the trainer has a lot to do with it. Mine was great and we worked on it, I had 2 x 8 hour sessions (2 to 1) then the test. I passed with 6 minors and not one was gear related. Sounds like you and your trainer needs to spend time focusing on it.

Driven 4 trucks since passing, 3 out of the 4 were manual :slight_smile:

Dave

Digit369:
I’m more than happy to work in manuals what I’m saying is that without the distraction of the gears. 16 hours or however long your training is it’s not enough to get out in the busy roads company’s need to offer additional training to help the pupil along a bit.
I’m fine with everything else I can move and operate the lorry fine mirrors etc I failed on two roundabouts as was in the wrong gear panicked and messed up

You need to stop blaming the gears. A good trainer would sort this out.

You need to have a more positive attitude and don’t be a defeatist just work at it and then you will reap the rewards.

Paul :smiley:

I passed both my cat C and C+E in manuals, and until this week, I’d never driven an automatic, AND I struggled with the automatic at first. So, passing in auto’s and going onto manuals can only be more difficult.

I don’t like auto’s on roundabouts, they’re sluggish. I’ve taken a few chances on roundabouts with the auto, and I’ve slowed people down that I wouldn’t have done in a manual, which isn’t a problem for me, but on your test, that will get you a fail.

Auto’s might be"easier" to drive, but IMO, it doesn’t make passing a test any easier.

Endgame:
I passed both my cat C and C+E in manuals, and until this week, I’d never driven an automatic, AND I struggled with the automatic at first. So, passing in auto’s and going onto manuals can only be more difficult.

I don’t like auto’s on roundabouts, they’re sluggish. I’ve taken a few chances on roundabouts with the auto, and I’ve slowed people down that I wouldn’t have done in a manual, which isn’t a problem for me, but on your test, that will get you a fail.

Auto’s might be"easier" to drive, but IMO, it doesn’t make passing a test any easier.

I bet you were driving a Daf :wink:

I much prefer auto’s as I can just plant my foot and go. They certainly do help when reversing and driving slowly in yards.

Not a DAF, it’s a big brand new Renault! (not sure what model)

Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to drive a big, new clean truck that requires minimal effort to actually drive, but I just prefer a manual in general - same with cars.

Auto’s remind me of the dodgems at Blackpool!

The law was pasted so now people have a option I think that the option to take it in a automatic is a good option as you are more aware of what’s going on around you have 1 less technical thing to worry about

I suppose in will find out when I get back thanks

I think it’s better to train in a manual, even if it takes longer. I had 16 hours total training in a slap over and passed first time.

Problem with passing in an auto is, as said, there’s not many class 2 autos (only driven 1) and if you pass in an auto then get sent out on a job in an 18ton manual you will really struggle… Not only have you realised your on your own and trying to remember everything you’ve been taught, you also have to learn how to drive a manual box with no help. And trust me you will moan about that…

Train in the worst and everything else will seem a little bit easier.

I’ve trained in the manual I can drive that fine just my nerves at roundabouts get me as every one learns at different paces

I’m told to arrive in 5 but when I get there a car comes shooting on the bout then I have to Foot brake then hand brake flick down to change gear look for the next car then mirrors then clutch blind spot

I