Rescue and recovery drivers?

Got my first job finally as a heavy bed recovery and rescue driver based out of Chelmsford start next Tuesday anyone on here work for them or drive recovery wagons?

I’m starting in a 12T tilt and slide crew cab and working up to the big wreckers :slight_smile:

Fritz:
Got my first job finally with “the Mansfield group” as a heavy bed recovery and rescue driver based out of Chelmsford start next Tuesday anyone on here work for them or drive recovery wagons?

I’m starting in a 12T tilt and slide crew cab and working up to the big wreckers :slight_smile:

Congrats on getting your first job.

Not sure I would work 4x12 hours on (on a day and night rota) and 2 days off for £8.50 an hour and no overtime rate but I am sure you know what suits you best. At least it is a start and they are paying 50p an hour more than one of their local competitors.

Not many of their drivers stay long with them and so, if you can stick-it-out, you may well get a chance on the big stuff eventually. You must ‘pace’ yourself. The industry is famous for burning-out drivers.

My advice is, be careful - did you hear me - BE CAREFUL. Take your time and don’t let the pressure get to you. It can be a very ‘hairy’ job sometimes.

If you have questions about recovery work, fire away. I will do my best to answer based on my experience.

Alan

More like 4 x 24 hours in a row. Had a friend who worked for ontime (before they sold out) and they wanted him out all the time. Even to the point of him saying I’ve got to stop or im going to fall asleep at the wheel. They called him 1 hour later to see if he was ready for his next job!

m1cks:
More like 4 x 24 hours in a row. Had a friend who worked for ontime (before they sold out) and they wanted him out all the time. Even to the point of him saying I’ve got to stop or im going to fall asleep at the wheel. They called him 1 hour later to see if he was ready for his next job!

A very good example of why recovery work should not be an exception under EU driving regulations.

Cheers for the advice guys, but I have no experience so even if I stick it to get some experience on the cv it’s worth it in my eyes but like you say if the hours are to long and I’m tired I’d rather not have a job than cause a minor or major accident!

Recovery work, if with the right company, will be the best job you will ever have. As I was told when I first started recovery work, no 2 jobs are the same and believe me they aren’t. It can be long hours especially in the winter months but stop and sleep if you need to, never feel pressured into getting back for the next job.

Always take a camera with you to work because you will take some amazing pictures and you will be surprised at how some vehicles end up where they do.

ALWAYS and I say ALWAYS ensure that any vehicle you are recovering is going to stay where it is when you right it. Make sure the parking brake is on and or chock the wheel area so the vehicle wont run away once you right it. This will be more important when you move onto the heavy recovery and as suggested above, take your time and think about it even if it takes an hour to think of the best way to perform the recovery think think and think again. The police will generally work with you and close roads etc as you request.

On sliding bed vehicles, before you winch the vehicle onto the deck, apply the handbrake a little so that if the winch or cable gives out, the vehicle wont go rolling off too far or fast.

When applying the hook to the towing eye ALWAYS apply from the top down, never come at the towing eye from underneath because the hook is likely to drop off if you do.

A chap I knew years ago went from Gen haulage to the AA on their sliding beds,2 drivers per truck covering 24hrs he loves it. last time I saw him 3yrs ago he was telling me its the best job he’s ever done.

I think the AA are a little more squeaky clean than most recovery agents though Nick.

I’m ex-recovery now, but still do the odd w/end shift to cover holidays.

The Co’ you mention are one of the better operators, but I feel you should still amend your post to omit the name. Knowledge that this thread exists will have hit the MD’s desk before his return from lunch. Better not risk rocking the boat either now or in the future.

You’ll either love it or hate it with equal passion, and you’ll soon find out which.

Good luck & don’t forget that nothing ever needs recovering from where it’s easy to load it. :smiley:

Thanks for the Reply’s guys yeah seems they are now the biggest recovery company in Europe since merging with Ontime I’m really looking forward to it :slight_smile:

I don’t think they merged. They brought OnTime out except in the south which went to westbournes.

I started there late last year, worked there a month and then jacked it in. It was just when Mansfield were taking over, the trucks were changing over the sing writing as I was there. They had a massive turnover of drivers, at the time it was 6 on, 2 off, 12 hour days (not tachoed) I believe it’s now 4 on, 2 off which isn’t too bad. I was on the met police contract picking up stolen uninsured vehicles etc. the guys I worked with were all good, but the job was definatley not for me, the money was shocking then, but I think it’s gone up now with Mansfield. I heard nothing but good things about the top man of Mansfield though (treating the drivers good) but didn’t stay long enough to meet him, but good luck to you hope you enjoy it.

I’ve done plenty on wreckers. Good luck with the new role

Very good advice given here.

I’d only add keep straps and chains in good order. Make sure you know where everything is.

Start the day with a full tank and fill up after every job (even if it’s just 20 quid) as you never know when you’ll be off FMA and stopping with customers on is ill advised. Security and safety issues aside.

Keep your personal items (wallet phone and the like) on you when you leave the cab (loaded) isolate the vehicle when you leave the cab

Go steady and once again good luck

I did recovery for years.you will work for your cash.only good jobs were taking custemors down south back to there homes.i was doing 6 days/nights approx 15 hours a shift.then add in call outs if only a 12 hour shift.its actually a decent job if on for the right company.watch your winch for fraying aswell the straps.always check you have put chains and slippys back and wood if you have some.always charge your jump pack.get a kettle for the truck as a brew and pot noodles will help.watch alloy wheels when doing a puncture as they normally need a whack.use a axle stand as its safer.

m1cks:
I don’t think they merged. They brought OnTime out except in the south which went to westbournes.

May I correct you, “m1cks”? Bidvest acquired an 80% stake in The Mansfield Group last July, having owned the Ontime Group 100% since 2004. The decision was made by Bidvest to separate Ontime’s R&R business from its logistics business, and to merge the two operations together under the banner of The Mansfield Group. Hence it was a merger of TMG with parts of Ontime.

Ontime (Sussex) was sold to Westbourne prior to the merger.

Corrected!

m1cks:
Corrected!

:laughing:

Fritz:
Got my first job finally as a heavy bed recovery and rescue driver based out of Chelmsford start next Tuesday anyone on here work for them or drive recovery wagons?

Good luck with the new job tomorrow.

Remember to keep us updated about how it is going.

Will do guys thanks for the advice just got back on here to read the latest posts, I passed my class 1 today so if I get an offer for class 1 HGV. Work I’ll be taking that but going to give it a go for now thanks again and I’ll let you know cheers

Fritz:
Will do guys thanks for the advice just got back on here to read the latest posts, I passed my class 1 today so if I get an offer for class 1 HGV. Work I’ll be taking that but going to give it a go for now thanks again and I’ll let you know cheers

What modesty - just slipped that in, didn’t you?

Well,

CONGRATULATIONS