Funding for hgv/lgv Unemployed

Do not let anybody tell you that the job centre does NOT pay for hgv / lgv training. I am currently doing my class 2 paid for by the job centre. Its not easy to get and you have to qualify. Here are a few examples that are fact.

DO NOT READ ON IF YOU HAVE NOT CLAIMED JSA FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS

Be unemployed for 6 months
PROVE that you have been looking for work
PROVE that you can get a job once you have the license straight away (very hard to prove)
You must not have savings or be able to borrow the money.

You will not get the training on your first request. You will have to appeal at least once in writing detailing why you think you should get free training. My advisor told me that only 8 out of 100 people get the training.

You must also prove that you have been applying for jobs
show jobs that are available that you would be eligible for. Remember 2yrs exp does not count
You must also continue to look for work throughout and take a job if one is offered.

once you have been given the training (if you are successful ) then the training goes out to tender. You must however pay for your own medical, cpc training (in some cases) digital tacho, travelling, work clothes. For some like myself this is the only way you can get into the hgv world. There is more to it than i have stated but this is the true basics. I wont give too much away as if you are serious about this work then you will figure it out for yourself. YOU MAY NOT EVEN GET THE TRAINING as the training is down to your advisor but as i have said this is how i got my training.

I have not posted this info to offend anybody. I have never had any funding from anywhere and was told to apply as i have a friend who works for dwp. Hope this helps someone

I think it’s generally well known that DWP does fund driver training but it’s good to have the criteria publicised. We train on a continual basis for DWP so there’s probably a lot more of this going on than is realised.

In our case, DWP are funding medical, cpc and also a practical drive retest if required.

If used properly, I have no problem with anyone following this route (I speak as a tax-payer). But I get extremely irritated by the few who use the system to pacify their advisor and have no intention of ever working - let alone drive. It’s also an unfortunate fact that our fails tend to come from DWP candidates.

I once had someone come in with DWP funding to arrange their medical. He made it clear that he wasn’t going to use the licence even if he passed. I called his advisor and the job stopped there. Thankfully we’re busy enough that we dont have to take all comers. Remember, I am a tax payer and I dont want to subsidise wasters. Ethically I cant just take the money and look the other way.

But to anyone seeking DWP funding who are genuine and fully intend making a career out of it, I’m behind you all the way and wish you well.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Across the UK the each group of Jobcentres has its own criteria for this sort of thing

In Leicester the JCs insist the person must have a letter from an employer insisting that they will get a full time permanent job if they complete the training which is virtually impossible because most employers want an employee now and not possibly in a few weeks or months time

i got asked to supply this letter too. I had to explain to them that it will be impossible to get this. I found a way around it. Once my training is complete my jsa (job seekers allowance) will be stopped and it cant come soon enough. Its not easy to get funding folks but it is there for the commited

Peter Smythe:
I think it’s generally well known that DWP does fund driver training but it’s good to have the criteria publicised. We train on a continual basis for DWP so there’s probably a lot more of this going on than is realised.

In our case, DWP are funding medical, cpc and also a practical drive retest if required.

If used properly, I have no problem with anyone following this route (I speak as a tax-payer). But I get extremely irritated by the few who use the system to pacify their advisor and have no intention of ever working - let alone drive. It’s also an unfortunate fact that our fails tend to come from DWP candidates.

I once had someone come in with DWP funding to arrange their medical. He made it clear that he wasn’t going to use the licence even if he passed. I called his advisor and the job stopped there. Thankfully we’re busy enough that we dont have to take all comers. Remember, I am a tax payer and I dont want to subsidise wasters. Ethically I cant just take the money and look the other way.

But to anyone seeking DWP funding who are genuine and fully intend making a career out of it, I’m behind you all the way and wish you well.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I know a man who trains forklift drivers and he says about 7 out of 10 that the DWP send to him say they will never use it and are only there to keep there benefits.

Hi there DWYNE!

Welcome onto the forum.

It’s such a shame that the system allows people such as Peter & Mac mentioned where they only take up this offer of training in order to keep their benefits. As a taxpayer too, I have no problem with anyone getting funding (especially in these hard times), but I do think the system needs looking at.

I reckon the best thing to do, (which wouldn’t cost the taxpayer anything overall, and would only see genuine people apply) was if the potential trainee was just loaned the money for the training, then had it paid back to DWP out of their earnings once they got a job out of it.

totally agree. I offered to repay the whole lot on appeal but was told this is not possible. There are alot of people doing it for the wrong reasons making it hard for genuine people. Deffo needs looking at.

DWYNE:
Do not let anybody tell you that the job centre does NOT pay for hgv / lgv training. I am currently doing my class 2 paid for by the job centre. Its not easy to get and you have to qualify. Here are a few examples that are fact.

DO NOT READ ON IF YOU HAVE NOT CLAIMED JSA FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS

Be unemployed for 6 months
PROVE that you have been looking for work
PROVE that you can get a job once you have the license straight away (very hard to prove)
You must not have savings or be able to borrow the money.

You will not get the training on your first request. You will have to appeal at least once in writing detailing why you think you should get free training. My advisor told me that only 8 out of 100 people get the training.

You must also prove that you have been applying for jobs
show jobs that are available that you would be eligible for. Remember 2yrs exp does not count
You must also continue to look for work throughout and take a job if one is offered.

once you have been given the training (if you are successful ) then the training goes out to tender. You must however pay for your own medical, cpc training (in some cases) digital tacho, travelling, work clothes. For some like myself this is the only way you can get into the hgv world. There is more to it than i have stated but this is the true basics. I wont give too much away as if you are serious about this work then you will figure it out for yourself. YOU MAY NOT EVEN GET THE TRAINING as the training is down to your advisor but as i have said this is how i got my training.

I have not posted this info to offend anybody. I have never had any funding from anywhere and was told to apply as i have a friend who works for dwp. Hope this helps someone

I had my training paid for by the DWP, pretty much the same as you’ve posted above, but I only had to show proof that there was work out there once I had passed. I only asked for funding for class 2, I obtained quotes for the course and it was all ignored, instead they approached Advantage (brokers) and paid for both class 1 and 2, along with a practical retest. It took 8 months for me to get a decision as to if I could have the funding, then a further 4 months for the course to start, so its not a quick and easy process, and as you have to be available and looking for work during that time, a job may come along and you’d lose the funding. Saying that, I was told that once funding had been granted and the course paid for, if I had found a job then I wouldn’t lose the course.

As said above, funding is not guaranteed, I know that having applied before many years ago, and I had to basically ‘sell’ myself to those who make the decisions as to why it was me they should be helping. And I am 100% grateful that I was given the opportunity and funding, and I sit here now with my class 1 on my licence, in regular work (albeit agency but hopefully leading to a full time job) driving class 2.

When i was on Jsa i asked for Adr training to be paid to secure a job that required Adr.No go on that.
Work clothing and boots i tried for.Only get it if secure a job.
Travel expenses only paid back if got the job applied for.
You must be in the area all the time to be available if a job is offered.
I told them i took a bus to London for the day and had to fill in a form to say what was the service number of the bus.
Who met met there and why and what times.If fail the questionaire they would stop my benefits.
You are not allowed to leave the UK but lots did.

I’m a 36 year old time served toolmaker I was made redundant @ Christmas 2013 signed on the dole 14 February 2014,1 day later got a phone call from a guy in Portsmouth who works for the dwp he asked what my next step was looking for work.I explained to him I wanted to do my hgv C+E as I had been offered a job with a local haulage company when and if I got my hgv cat C+E license, I have wanted to change career for a while so I phoned a few local haulage firms explained my situation just basically put some feelers out,to find out if there was work available for inexperienced drivers.A number of firms came back offered me a job if I was prepared to team up with an old timer for a week or 2 to get some experience, before I was sent out alone I said no problem they put the job offer in writing. I gave the proof of the job offer a letter the company sent me to the guy@ the DWP within 24hours I had confirmation that I will be funded to do my C+E LICENSES. So I have managed to find a job and get all my training practical lessons and theory test funded by the DWP I START MARCH 10th, So it is possible it just takes a bit effort. And I little bit of planning.This is the first time I have ever needed to sign on or been out of work I found the guy @ dwp JCP paul he was called to be a great help nothing was to much trouble from what I have heard he is the exception not the rule when dealing with people from the DWP

If it’s useful, I’m currently getting my class D through a job-centre referral to the ‘Employability Fund’ - might be a Scotland only thing, unsure of that… but I was offered the option of Cat C or Cat D… had already booked my C, so snatched (and I mean SNATCHED ! :laughing: ) the ‘D’ from them. Supposedly it comes with a guaranteed job/work placement afterwards… but, these courses do seem to be like gold-dust.

The eligibility requirements are a bit less stringent, there are over and under 25 versions, and you can get on it after >3 months of unemployment. Alternatively, if you’ve been made/taken redundancy, you can get on it immediately.

With that said, my JCP advisor told me that I am the first person shes ever seen actually get onto the course, despite having referred many others previously.

they give you a placement after your training in which your wages are partly funded by gov funding. It’s why the unemployment figures have fallen so much in the last few years. I work for the local council and the div I work in takes on these gauranteed new starts.

Hi All

I know this is a old post but after reading comments found it interesting. I am currently looking for funding I have passed my medical,theory,hazard my problem is I’m now stuck as I have a full time job but not enough money to do my next step this is a long dream to do my class 2.

It does make me sick knowing there are people out there who get it for free by been on job seekers dwp etc and don’t follow it up and get a job. I am all for people using the system to benefit them by getting off benefits. I am lucky that iv never been in that boat and worked since leaving school.

It’s a real shame companies don’t offer free training while you work for them I would be happy with that knowing my dream is in sight. I also believe if you do get free training from job seekers dwp you should be working even if it’s cleaning a yard maybe that way it shows you actually want this.

My hat goes off to peter as he has some amazing offers and is always happy to help. If had money would be first choice.

You can get a £200 grant if you are on an income less than £24k. It doesn’t touch much of the bill but every pound certainly helps.
Google Individual Training Account (ITA)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for sending link hope it helps someone.

Rules
Aged 16 or over
Not in education or involved in any other SDS funded programme
Unemployed and looking to get back into work
Employed and earning less than £22,000 per year
Resident in Scotland

I’m employed and live in Nottinghamshire

Thank you

You can be employed, just as long as your income is less than the threshold. That’s also your income, they don’t take into account your partners…they didn’t with mine anyway.