Can i drive now or wait?

the phone has allready started to ring for work but it would be wrong for me to accept work at this point as i do not have my licence back from DVLA yet…and the test cert does say that it is not a licence to drive…although the urge is there to pack in my full time job now i could be getting myself into bother could i not…

As it is a vocational licence, you have to w3ait untill you have the actual licence to hand before you can drive. Your prospective employer should have a photocopy of it before he allows you to drive his vehicle. This is mainly for insurance purposes I believe.

Spot on Pecall.

I would also add that the Licencing Authority would take an EXTREMELY dim view of an operator who employed a driver without demanding to see proof of entitlement.

And quite right too.

Vince

thanks for that then the agency is putting me and my new licence at risk for the benefit of making a few quid out of me…

I am unsure of the exact legal position, but Licensing Authorities work on a “common-sense” basis, and have leeway.

If a potential employer has seen and photocopied both your provisional licence and your test pass certificate, they would probably be justified in employing you. Probably.

Otherwise, I would wait for the full licence to come through.

Vince

In the absence of any ‘Case Law’ on this subject (that I know of) the position is that Insurance requires the person to ‘hold, have held, and is not disqualified from holding a licence (for that class of vehicle)’.

Notice here that the requirement is not for a FULL Licence. Merely a Licence for the class of vehicle. - Therefore any offences would only relate to the displaying of L plates and being accompanied by a qualified driver. - But you are a qualified driver, so you don’t need to display L plates. The Pass Certificate tells you that you are qualified. The only restriction imposed by that document is that you cannot accompany another L driver.

Going back to my distant learning of English Law, then once your application enters the Postal system, i.e. putting the envelope in the post box with the required fee, then the DVLA are contractually obliged to issue a FULL Licence. Offer, Acceptance and Consideration are the key works. They ‘Offer’ to issue the Licence for a set fee. You ‘Accept’ their ‘Offer’ by enclosing a cheque (Consideration) - A Legal Contract has been entered into.

I would have no qualms in employing a person producing a valid LGV provisional together with a Pass Certificate for that class of vehicle - provided it was less than 2 years old.