Maritime transport professional driver scheme

jbaz73:
That is for aldi

Sorry I mistakenly thought you were doing 4 on off for Maritime.

Hope it goes well be interested to here your experiences/thoughts in a week or two.

Reply I got from them

Many thanks for your enquiry, apologies for the delay in responding.

Our scheme is designed to help newly qualified C+E drivers or drivers with minimal experience the opportunity learn the job in a professional structured atmosphere. It covers a period of 1 year and you would be a full time employee of the company if successful.

Unfortunately, we do not offer licence acquisition as part of our scheme. We also do not operate class C vehicles

We recommend that if you do not have your C+E licence you contact Scania UK through maritime@scania.com to discuss licence acquisition.

However, you can also apply direct if you gain your C+E licence through any training provider via maritimetransport.com/join-u … r%20scheme

edd1974:
Reply I got from them

Many thanks for your enquiry, apologies for the delay in responding.

Our scheme is designed to help newly qualified C+E drivers or drivers with minimal experience the opportunity learn the job in a professional structured atmosphere. It covers a period of 1 year and you would be a full time employee of the company if successful.

Unfortunately, we do not offer licence acquisition as part of our scheme. We also do not operate class C vehicles

We recommend that if you do not have your C+E licence you contact Scania UK through maritime@scania.com to discuss licence acquisition.

However, you can also apply direct if you gain your C+E licence through any training provider via maritimetransport.com/join-u … r%20scheme

Exact same reply i got yesterday. i will go for my class C with someone else than see if i can get anymore information about the scheme and if needs must do my C+E with scania. even tho i think it will be more expensive than else where.

Got my class 2 booked with Scania, be interested in anymore details about Maritime.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Jimmy McNulty:

jbaz73:
That is for aldi

Hope it goes well be interested to here your experiences/thoughts in a week or two.

Oddly enough I had a phone call from maritime today asking for me to come in for an interview and assessment drive. Normally I wouldn’t consider it having just started a new job… but it’s more money than Aldi and only 5 mins from home instead of 30 miles. So I’m going to give it a go and see what they say.

I also had bibby ring me today, I checked my application history and I’ve never applied to either maritime or bibby? Where are they getting my phone number from? I have to admit I’m a tad worried

Be interested to hear what maritime have to say.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

jbaz73:

Jimmy McNulty:

jbaz73:
That is for aldi

Oddly enough I had a phone call from maritime today asking for me to come in for an interview and assessment drive. Normally I wouldn’t consider it having just started a new job… but it’s more money than Aldi and only 5 mins from home instead of 30 miles. So I’m going to give it a go and see what they say.

I also had bibby ring me today, I checked my application history and I’ve never applied to either maritime or bibby? Where are they getting my phone number from? I have to admit I’m a tad worried

Is your CV up on a job board? The likes of indeed and totaljobs after applying for a job your CV can be left up to be found by employers, usually agencies

Just wondering if anyone actually was able to join maritime with their professional scheme.

I did send them email but obviously there is no answer for last 5/7 and not sure what way to look at it.

Learner driver…

A manager says “Go,” a leader says “Let’s Go” - John Maxwell

I passed with Scania driver training class 1 on the 4th July. I sent an email to Scania with my CV on about the 10th and I still haven’t heard anything back so I’ve given up on maritime I was told if you train with Scania you jump the queue and get on the training really quickly.
I went with someone else now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jaylee:
I passed with Scania driver training class 1 on the 4th July. I sent an email to Scania with my CV on about the 10th and I still haven’t heard anything back so I’ve given up on maritime I was told if you train with Scania you jump the queue and get on the training really quickly.

I must say I did not know that I should send email to Scania. I did send it directly to maritime email for professional scheme. Just got some usual auto respond email.

Learner driver…

kalim:

Jaylee:

I must say I did not know that I should send email to Scania. I did send it directly to maritime email for professional scheme. Just got some usual auto respond email.

Learner driver…

Just try to chase it up via a phone call to Maritime Headquarters in Felixstowe.

I probably could but is not like I am desperate for job. As I have one just in deferent “department”. I was wondering rather what will they expect from new driver also what contracts they actually give, is it permanent ? Will they actually teach me something or that will be like one day of driving forward and then “here is the keys” . I did read other posts about maritime here but it seems like it is rather hit and miss as everyone has completely softening knowledge about or experience. Hence the question is actually someone done their professional driver scheme.

Learner driver…

If you’re desperate for a job, do it. If not, avoid like the plague. Whilst the 4/4 is a good job, the scheme is not so. They pair you up with another driver for a while and there is structured training to learn the job. If you need to learn the job, right from the beginning it may be a good thing. If you have experience, initiative or confidence then you probably won’t last.

A final word of warning about the bardon depot. Avoid this one! Martin, the manager, is just plain bonkers! I went for an interview for the 4/4 job, did an assessment drive and the usual. It took over a week for them to offer me the job, in the meantime I had found something else. Martin accused me of wasting company time and money. He hurled insults and challenged me to a duel (well, a fistfight) I had to laugh, he is half my size and twice my age!

jbaz73:
If you’re desperate for a job, do it. If not, avoid like the plague. Whilst the 4/4 is a good job, the scheme is not so. They pair you up with another driver for a while and there is structured training to learn the job. If you need to learn the job, right from the beginning it may be a good thing. If you have experience, initiative or confidence then you probably won’t last.

A final word of warning about the bardon depot. Avoid this one! Martin, the manager, is just plain bonkers! I went for an interview for the 4/4 job, did an assessment drive and the usual. It took over a week for them to offer me the job, in the meantime I had found something else. Martin accused me of wasting company time and money. He hurled insults and challenged me to a duel (well, a fistfight) I had to laugh, he is half my size and twice my age!

That is the thing. I do need learn the job from the beginning. Despite your bad experience with them. Would you kindly tell me how the assessment looks with them ? You can spare the details of fistfight :slight_smile:

Learner driver…

It’s pretty standard stuff. I did a drive round the yard in a unit, hitch up a trailer, quick half hour road drive, reverse between two trailers, uncouple, park the unit up.

Same tired old crap that they make you do everywhere now.

jbaz73:
It’s pretty standard stuff. I did a drive round the yard in a unit, hitch up a trailer, quick half hour road drive, reverse between two trailers, uncouple, park the unit up.

Any info is good info as I have not much idea about assessments as yet.
Thank you for that.

Learner driver…

kalim:

jbaz73:

Thank you for that.

Learner driver…

You rock up.
You have a chat.
You will in some forms.
You do some basic tests. Like ticking on which road sign is no entry etc…
You do some more basic test - usually around driving hours.
You then wee in a pot for a drugs and alcohol test.
You then go out and do a walkaround check.
Have a little drive. Don’t speed, don’t mount kerbs. Try and drive like you did on your test. Go a bit slower than usual.
You go back and reverse into a parking space.
You might be asked to another reverse - but not usually.

You can change the order around - but that’s general assessment. Worrying if you are new - annoying if you have experience. I still find it worrying. Especially reversing.

sammym:

kalim:

jbaz73:

Thank you for that.

Learner driver…

You rock up.
You have a chat.
You will in some forms.
You do some basic tests. Like ticking on which road sign is no entry etc…
You do some more basic test - usually around driving hours.
You then wee in a pot for a drugs and alcohol test.
You then go out and do a walkaround check.
Have a little drive. Don’t speed, don’t mount kerbs. Try and drive like you did on your test. Go a bit slower than usual.
You go back and reverse into a parking space.
You might be asked to another reverse - but not usually.

You can change the order around - but that’s general assessment. Worrying if you are new - annoying if you have experience. I still find it worrying. Especially reversing.

That’s it in a nutshell, usually. Tbh maritime didn’t do the d&a p test (I don’t think they really care if you’re on drugs, it will perhaps help your chances) one important point I did miss, DONT FORGET YOUR WALKROUND CHECKS. Tbh, I had just got up and forgot to mention that point, d’oh!

After completing my HGV training with Scania and with no experience in the haulage industry, I applied to Maritime for a place on their Professional Driver Scheme. As mentioned in previous posts, the assessment afternoon consisted of testing on driver hours, coupling to a trailer with empty container, a 30 minute drive, reverse between two other containers and an uncouple.

I was fortunate to be offered a job and was mentored for the first couple of weeks, spending time with a couple of the other drivers on various runs and learning about the business. I found Maritime to be a good and supportive employer who helped me learn the ropes of the industry. For the duration of my 6 week probation I was paid as much as the other drivers, provided with a uniform and at the end of that period I was offered the opportunity of a 4 on/4 off shift pattern. However, because of personal circumstances I was unable to take the job any further which, even now, 12months on, is a source of great regret to me.

I would certainly recommend this scheme to anyone else who, like me, went from car driver to class 1 driver with no prior knowledge of trucking - it has stood me in very good stead. I am back driving now and still have to resist the urge to wave to my erstwhile Maritime colleagues whilst passing on A14.

Thank you all for opinions.

I did not go with Scania as I have found this to expensive.

I am Still waiting for Maritime to get back to me.

Will see how it goes.

Learner driver…