HGV driving 6 months in - Myth VS. Reality

KTMrider:

albion:

KTMrider:
There’s definitely a common theme to a fair few of the opnions expressed in the main forum which boils down to “trucking was better in the 70s / 80s / 90s”

That may well be true, however when you start looking for work you will find 80s style trucking is no longer available. .

Oi, here at Albion trucking we’ve barely crawled out of the 70s into the 80s :wink: If it wasn’t for these new fangled digital tachograph things, you wouldn’t know :laughing:

Maybe it is an age thing and you’ll don rose tinted glasses in a few decades, but I am pretty confident that pre mobile phones and tablets, drivers did talk to each other more and the volume of traffic makes the actual driving infinitely less pleasurable - everyone is more stressed. And there was more freedom and control when you weren’t tracked and monitored.

Here endeth the lesson!

Good post OP.

In simple terms I don’t compare modern trucking, to trucking in the past, because I wasn’t there. What I do compare it to is the modern workplace in general and I think it compares very favourably.

I did say it beats being at a desk! Most of my lads wouldn’t do anything else and if it wasn’t for having dogs, I’d be happy driving again.