HELP! How do I get haulage contracts? etc

Hi,

My name is Kal, im a bit new to all of this but ever since I was a kid ive loved trucks…I mean I can be sitting in the back of a car and point out different companies and trucks like others point out cars…

Well now ive grown up…I like to think :smiley: and it was time to start thinking about what I wanted to study at uni etc, well for me it had to be Logistics, im finding the course really to my liking and ive got a year left before I graduate… wish me luck people :exclamation:

Now I need help in deciding what I want to do after my degree, ive always wanted to own a fleet of trucks so my ambition is to start with one truck as big as possible…hehehe and a good solid driver these I can get with not too much problem as funding will be provided by very generous parents and banks, however I havent got the first idea about what im to do next…ie how do I get contracts to move other peoples goods around, where do i start, what do I do? I would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice, and help to me…

I look forward to your replys, thank you for taking the time to help me,

Kal

Kal6383:
however I havent got the first idea about what im to do next…i

get your licence and get some on the road experience :wink:

Like Dennis said, Learn the industry from the ground up. :smiley: :smiley:

smcaul:
Like Dennis said, Learn the industry from the ground up. :smiley: :smiley:

By which time you’ll be due to retire :slight_smile:

If you can spend a bit less time in the Uni Bar ( :wink: ) and some more time studying, why not sit your CPC course/exam? You might have to play ‘catch-up’ for a bit to make up for the lack of basic knowledge/experience,however, the end result will give you a much better insight to the whole set-up and concept of having

kal6383:
one truck as big as possible

You may have noticed there is often an element of resentment for Tpt Managers & planners who have never actually done the job themselves yet try to dictate to drivers with years of experience, how to actually do the job. The only option in this case is, as others have already said, get your licence and get some experience!!

Good luck :exclamation:

Hi with regards to what everyone has said…I can only get some experience once my degree is complete, however I feel that my initial posting has been mis-interpretated.

I do not intend on sitting in an office giving orders to ANY person, especially truck drivers, I feel a bit hurt by that as I accept that im not ‘one of you’ as yet however, im one of the few that realise just how important drivers are, this is helped by having 3 of my 4 uncles who are haulage drivers however they live and work in Holland.

It wouldnt take long for the country to come to a standstill if drivers decided to stop working, this is how important drivers really are, and i also realise that drivers are the least respected and well treated members of transport companies, this is certainly not going to be the case if I manage to get a transport company of the ground.

Ive always been a very hands on person and would jump at the opportunity to drive one of my own vehicles, thats the fun part… what I was after was some help with regards to how haulage contracts are obtained, the reason I want to know this is, at the moment my family is willing to set me up in whatever bussiness I choose to do.

I want a transport firm, however they are not about to throw a very large amount of cash my way if I havent even thought about what I want to do, ive got a bussiness plan that im working on, I also have some family members that are giving me good info, however I need some more help, and thats hopefully where you all come in.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my posting,

Have a great day.

Kal

If you’ve got the funding for a haulage business, come and buy mine! All ready to go, you can start wasting your parents money straight away!

Kal,

To get the type of contracts you would want, you have to go knocking on doors. Logistics sales is no easy business ( I have done it for a number of years), You need to target your customers. What type of work do you want? Traction only? or full logistics contracts? Most companies have started from small beginnings, You would be unlikely to get a nice big contract with one truck? You might however be able to subbie for someone who has that contract.

Failing that look for niche markets, I know of one or two that i think would be growing in time, these tend to pay better but the risks are higher.

Also look at what the market is doing, a few years ago many companies outsourced all the transport, now alot of them have brought it back in house. Transport is like everthing else, it is cyclical. You just have to be at the right place in the cycle.

So it looks very much like you will need to go knocking on doors and sell your wears to get that first contract i’m afraid.

Hope the above helps.

Just read in the CM that OLIVERS Transport is going to be sold. So there is a good starting point. It is an established business with contracts. Might not have a very good name at present though.

Regards
Westie

It’s not what you know - it’s who you know.

best thing kal is to employ me as a transport manager…£40 grand a year and problem solved…seriously…it depends on how many trucks you want to start with…theres the operating centre to start with…buy it…or rent it…?
licences to apply for…trailers or units only…really you need trailers…national or international…maintenance…fitters…offices…then the fun begins…hopefully your parents are super rich…start by working as a sub contractor…its only the big boys who get contracts…normally…and the smaller hauliers work for them…however it is possible to get work…on your own merit…but as i said very rarely a contract…there are many companies who operate on a gentlemens agreement…and as was said earlier…it means knocking on doors…but a lot of companies would rather keep their present haulier than one they dont know…good luck…

Post removed as found to be in contravention of advertising rules.L.