LED marker lights

I want to change the side marker lights on my trailer from bulbs to LED as I’m sick off the lights filling up with water and corroding the terminals. No matter how much I seal then with tape and silicone they always seem to let water in somewhere! Is it simply a case of wiring the LED ones up to the existing wires used by the bulb lights or are more major changes required? Cheers c

Straight swop wire to wire !!!, on some units mind they will not power up a" full led trailer" trick is you have to have 1 single bulb per side “rear” and it will allow the unit to power the trailer volvos esp … :wink: Ps LEDS dont like water a lot either. but you only doing the sides anyway

globby 480:
Straight swop wire to wire !!!, on some units mind they will not power up a full led trailer trick is you have to have 1 single bulb per side “rear” and it will allow the unit to power the trailer volvos esp … :wink: Ps LEDS dont like water a lot either

I thought most LEDs would be a sealed unit so it is wired up outside the light casing and plenty of leccy tape would solve the problem of water getting in? Also how do you feed onto the next light with LEDs? I don’t know if all trailers are same but mine is wired from back so each light working forward from the back is powered by the previous marker. Does that make sense?

Sorry if I’m being dumb, I would usually let the fitter do it for me but if its easy enough to do it myself ill have a go with them!

Cheers,
Matt

LED’s can be sensitive to which wire is positive, they’ll work wired one way but not the other, unlike conventional bulb fittings.

instead of ripping all the wiring out, just cut the wire where it comes out of the existing lamp unit, and connect the LED lamp to it

as has been said, make sure you wire it up the correct polarity, most LED’s have a positive and a negative and are not reversible the same as a normal bulb

Look at this on eBay:

8 AMBER MARKER SIDE LED LIGHT INDICATOR VAN 24v 24 VOLT

bit.ly/YnDbqC

These are the ones I’ve been looking at. Anyone else think they’re a bit too cheap?!

looking at the pic of the rear of one of them, it looks like they are not sealed where the wires come out

if i were you, i would look for some better quality ones, preferably from a UK based seller

I use rubberlite model 620 side markers which is a direct replacement for the model 333, and have had very good results over the past 10 years. The mounts are the same and the wiring goes in the same place.

The trick I use to prevent corrosion in any light fitting is to make sure you leave an escape path for any water that gets in. Most lights are marked “TOP” on them so make sure you put them the correct way round as there is generally a small drain hole in the bottom to let out any water that gets in.

Slightly off topic BUT

Where can you get the side marker combined with indicators? They have them on whitbread trucks. I’ve looked through eBay but can’t find them.

xfmatt:
Look at this on eBay:

bit.ly/YnDbqC

These are the ones I’ve been looking at. Anyone else think they’re a bit too cheap?!

I think they’ll be junk but having said that there are top-money ones out there that aren’t wort’h it at the other end of the spectrum. I would be looking around a £5/piece type money from a proper commercial parts factor.

Fitting professionally I’d solder and heat shrink on to the existing wiring but for a quick diy job you could use scotch clips and wrap them well in self-amalgamating tape to keep the water and road salt out.

I’d be very surprised if they’re wired the way you’re suggesting (series) they would usually be wired in parallel so one bulb going out would not cause you to lose all the other lights. It will be a straight wire for wire swap allowing for correct polarity already mentioned.

If you get bulb out errors on the dash and find them annoying you will need to fit load resistors that will trick it into thinking there’s more current draw like a traditional filament bulb.

Often the LED design will have a back plate the LED main body snaps into. Bascially the best way to mount is to drill two holes through into the bracket and then either rivet or probably better for diy use self-tapping screws.

mucker85:
Slightly off topic BUT

Where can you get the side marker combined with indicators? They have them on whitbread trucks. I’ve looked through eBay but can’t find them.

Can you describe it a bit more exactly?

Own Account Driver:

mucker85:
Slightly off topic BUT

I think he means the marker lights which flash and act as indicators when the indicators are being used. For example when indicating left all if the marker lights down the left side will be acting as indicators too.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Will keep looking for a better quality unit I think.

Cheers
Matt

xfmatt:

Own Account Driver:

mucker85:
Slightly off topic BUT

I think he means the marker lights which flash and act as indicators when the indicators are being used. For example when indicating left all if the marker lights down the left side will be acting as indicators too.

That’s it, the side markers have extra LEDs that are the indicators. You would probably still get some idiot that “didn’t see you indicating”!

The ebay ones are fine fitted some of these about 4 years ago and there still working with no water getting into them.
for the money you wont go to far wrong.

mucker85:
Slightly off topic BUT

Rubbolite M626’s

ukautomotive.co.uk/stock.asp?id=240

One of the best ideas I’ve seen.

HTH

Own Account Driver:

xfmatt:
Look at this on eBay:

bit.ly/YnDbqC

Fitting professionally I’d solder and heat shrink on to the existing wiring but for a quick diy job you could use scotch clips and wrap them well in self-amalgamating tape to keep the water and road salt out.

I use heat shrink crimp connectors

Like these bit.ly/U2Bckj

Probably not as good as soldering but quicker & easier :wink:

Agree soldering is by far the best method ive had 4 years with mine so far and no problems.

mucker85:

xfmatt:

Own Account Driver:

mucker85:
Slightly off topic BUT

That’s it, the side markers have extra LEDs that are the indicators. You would probably still get some idiot that “didn’t see you indicating”!

I have fitted indicator repeaters to a customers trailers about where the wheels are, just a single LED repeater. I didn’t realise you could get a two in one unit, as someone else has posted, I just fitted another marker light immediately above the original. Useful if blocking the road sideways at night I thought.

Another tip on keeping watertight if a screw on reflector type is to fill the screw hole in with mastic/silicone.