How do you change utc time on a digi tacho?

As above we have only had these digi tachos 4 weeks one of the motors is right but the other is an hour behind the local time setting so when we swap between motors the cards are overlapping I’ve gone into the menu to try and change the time but it says utc correct and when I push the button it says impossible…is there a way of me changing it or is it a job for Volvo?

Cheers

On a digi tacho UTC is fixed and set when the machine is calibrated. You can change the local time displayed.

#scotty#:
As above we have only had these digi tachos 4 weeks one of the motors is right but the other is an hour behind the local time setting so when we swap between motors the cards are overlapping I’ve gone into the menu to try and change the time but it says utc correct and when I push the button it says impossible…is there a way of me changing it or is it a job for Volvo?

Cheers

you can’t change UTC ,except for 1 minute every so often , you can change the display time into local time ( ie: British Summer Time) but the tacho will still record in UTC . If UTC is wrong it’s a job for a calibration centre

#scotty#:

Cheers

If the UTC time is more than 20 minutes out the vehicle should be taken to a tachograph centre for correction, you can only change the UTC time by +/- 1 minute per week.
The reason you’re getting the “Impossible” message is because the time has already been changed by 1 minute in the current week.

FYI to change the UTC time by 1 minute on a Siemens digital tachograph go into the menu and:

• Scroll down to “Entry Vehicle” then press “OK”
  • Scroll down to “UTC Time Correct” then press “OK”
  • Use the up/down arrows to adjust the time by +/- 1 minute and press “OK”
  • Leave the main menu

None of this aplies to you because you need to take the vehicle to a tachograph centre :wink:

If its the time on the main display that is out, that is the local time, it can easily be changed in settings, local time. It goes in 30min blocks when you change it.
When you do a printout it will be on utc time which is an hr ahead, dont worry about this, as utc time is 1 hr ahead.

When time is correct and print out is an hour behind …means

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Virgin c+e:

We’re currently in BST, so it probably means you’re looking at the local time on the tachograph display while the printout is in UTC time.

Virgin c+e:

It means it’s working normally. When the clocks go back in October the display and printout times will be the same.

Newer digital tachos give you the option of producing printouts in local time rather than UTC, but such printouts are not acceptable for official purposes (and so they helpfully have words along the lines of “NOT A LEGAL PRINTOUT” at the top).

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The Tacho always records in UTC. This is the same as GMT. We’re currently in BST. The display has probably been altered to show BST. The print out is always in UTC. Drivers can reset the display. Only a tacho centre can reset the UTC time, except by one minute per week.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

So im legal

Its ive never time to check these things im in about 15 vehicles a day driving and servicing

As previously said if more than 20 mins its a recal ,but when you say an hour out ,are the other maybe showing local time ■■?

If you scroll down to vehicle entry ok it then scroll to local time and ok it …It will display UTC on the left and local time on the right …You can change local in 30 min goes ,Obviously UTC is an hour behind uk time at the moment

I currently have two lorries showing B.S.T on their Digital VU display, but when a printout is made the times show U.T.C. which is an hour behind. The problem i have is that i have an analogue VU in another lorry the drivers sometimes use, which will give me a BST chart? The potential for overlapping time is real. I understand that UTC on a digital tachograph is set at calibration centre and we can manually only change in one minute increments. Any comments/advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Also if the unit is showing Local time it will have a black dot / circle next to it .

kevthrev:
I currently have two lorries showing B.S.T on their Digital VU display, but when a printout is made the times show U.T.C. which is an hour behind. The problem i have is that i have an analogue VU in another lorry the drivers sometimes use, which will give me a BST chart? The potential for overlapping time is real. I understand that UTC on a digital tachograph is set at calibration centre and we can manually only change in one minute increments. Any comments/advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

To be honest I don’t understand what the problem is, UTC time is currently 1 hour behind UK local time so your digital tachographs appear to be recording the correct times.

There is no overlap of times because any analysis software should allow for the difference between UTC time and UK local time shown on the charts.

Thanks for the feedback.

I was just thinking of a driver (this has happened now and again with our drivers) who has driven both Digital and Analogue vehicles on the same shift, whether there would be a problem with the fact that (for example) his analogue chart showed him finishing driving at 11.00AM. He is then asked to drive another vehicle with a Digital Tachograph 10 minutes later, which when downloaded will show his card went in at 10.10 UTC. I’m sure you are right with Analysis software working that one out and appreciate he cannot be in two places at once (hell we’ve tried) but interested what VOSA would say if these details were found at a roadside check.

kevthrev:
Thanks for the feedback.

I was just thinking of a driver (this has happened now and again with our drivers) who has driven both Digital and Analogue vehicles on the same shift, whether there would be a problem with the fact that (for example) his analogue chart showed him finishing driving at 11.00AM. He is then asked to drive another vehicle with a Digital Tachograph 10 minutes later, which when downloaded will show his card went in at 10.10 UTC. I’m sure you are right with Analysis software working that one out and appreciate he cannot be in two places at once (hell we’ve tried) but interested what VOSA would say if these details were found at a roadside check.

The DVSA wouldn’t have a problem with it, they’re aware that charts are completed in local time while the digital tachograph uses UTC time, even if a DVSA bod overlooked the fact, which I think is probably unlikely, he’d be beating himself up when it was pointed out to him :slight_smile:

At the end of the day as long as everything is legal you have nothing to worry about :wink:

Outstanding work Sir !

A colleague in my office has just said, what about when a driver drives through the 2.00 AM period between the clocks changing :open_mouth:

Is it 5.00 yet?

UTC does not recognise summer /winter time with the clocks moving ,so UTC never changes …Local time will ,so you will change local time when the clocks go back ,and UTC and local time will now be the same till next summer when you move local time forward …UTC is set in stone and won’t change

Do I do a manual entry through local time or utc time as my tacho is 1hr in front