New Year, and new start... here goes

Hiya, new year and new start and all that, so this morning, i’ve finally called up and booked my home study pack for my CPC, £145.00 for the pack, then test centre and examination fees on top. I’ve had the david lowe book for sometime, and i’m pretty sure i can do this. It’s leading me a little more closer to my dream. I’ll let you know how i get on with it.

Tiggz

Good Luck

Tiggz if you do decide to go O/D dont make the mistake I did and start in January leave it 'til later in the year because you will have your insurance & road tax & vat returns all coming in the worst montrh for payment workwise (I’m paid weekly 4 weeks in arears) because of the xmas hols :unamused:

good luck in the exams :laughing:

good luck with your cpc. ive just enrolled with learn direct to do mine. its £50 for full international with tuition and exams! but i need all the help i can get. let me know how you get on. i’m chasins my dream to have my own wagon aswell. :smiley: :smiley:

Here’s wishing the both of you the best of luck.

just an update for you all, had me folder come through last tuesday been cramming like a gooden while i’ve been off work. Quite easy so far. pound of sugar it won’t stay that way though.

hows the cpc goings tiggz?
i’ve just got to the end of module 1 and oh my god how hard? i think my brain has turned to mush!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

good luck

Pay attention to Module 1, its the only one I failed last time. Everyone told me that Module 4 was the killer but …

Must pay more attention to everything next time… :smiley:

hiya, got a bit of advantage with module one, well all the law side of it, due to studying it all years ago, just getting to the health and safety part. It’s just remembering it all i guess. I heading for the march exam, hopefully, but i’ll just have to keep banging at it.

How youz getting on?

Tiggz,

Sounds like you’ve got a head start with your past experience. I was trying to get the National and International at the same time, so I think it was too much to take in, certainly in one go - and especially for me!

I have contracted out the CPC to another company at the moment, at least until I can take the exam again. But I must say, although the information contained in the course is, and will be of use in the future, having an experienced manager to talk to and having someone there who is responsible for helping you run your business, is, for me at least, worth an extra £200 per month.

I have however thrown myself into the deep end, going from car licence to International operator in 12 months, so everything has been a steep learning curve. I did however know about the business side of things, as I’ve been self-employed for the past 5 years, but the necessary regulation has surprised me, and the set-up has cost alot more than I had anticipated.

As I’m only in Oxford, let me know if I can be of any help and if your interested I am quite happy to share some of the cost models I have developed. Some members on here - I won’t name them just in case they get calls from all over - have been very helpful with regards the real cost of operating, something which, for me, has been difficult to ascertain, but, as I said I am more than happy to pass that information on.

Regards

Paul

cheers babe,… thank god i’m only doing the national.!!! i will of course do the international but not yet. If you can save yourself brain ache and have someone look after you transport wise for £200pm then sweet. Whose doing it for you■■? I’ve looked into using the cpc in this way, another way of making innit.

I’ve seriously got my head in it though, so fingers crossed i’ll be ok.

Tiggz,

The company I am using is Transconsult, who are in Weston-Super-Mare; well someone has to!

They find a local CPC holder who will advise on business things and hopefully start you off on a good basis. I’ll also do the CPC when it comes around in March, but being new to this game, I am now glad I opted to contract out.

Transconsult also offer to help out with the O licence, which I had pretty much sorted anyway, but someone who knows the people in the Bristol traffic office (the office covering you and me) can only be a benefit. But they, Bristol, seem to be on the ball, I got my interim within 10 days and full within 30.

Let me know if I can be of any further help. And good luck in finding a job.

Paul

Plambert:
Tiggz,

The company I am using is Transconsult, who are in Weston-Super-Mare; well someone has to!

They find a local CPC holder who will advise on business things and hopefully start you off on a good basis. I

how often does the CPC holder visit your premises to check Tacho disks and maintenance records ?

If the answer is never or not very often then expect visits from VOSA and the TC - they don’t like agency CPC holders much :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I know what you’re saying Denis, but it will be up to me to ensure things run smoothly, and up to Transconsult to ensure that the business services they are offering have a future market - but we’ll see how things go.

Paul

ay up am doing my cpc at the mo got it from Graham Lewsey found mod 1 a bit tricky mod 2 not so bad not got to mod 4 yet got exam in march, was thinking of becoming an O/D read a few forum’s put me off a bit looks like more -'s than +'s must’nt grumble.

Welcome to Trucknet UK soapy and good luck to
soapy, tiggz and amblezard with your CPC :slight_smile: ,

Soapy
I used the notes from Graham Lewsey also, and think the information needed for module 1 is not as clear as the other modules. When I sat the exam many of the questions on the sheet were not directly obvious from reading Grahams’ notes - but it may be me. But now I’ve seen some real questions I can see the information required for the exam IS there, but just not obvious - if that makes any sense.

Good luck

Paul

oh forgot to tell you, i’m also using “A study manual of professional comeptance in road Haulage” by David Lowe, it’s written in plain english, and when i’ve wanted to question something of what i’ve done so far, it’s put things quite clearly. I would say a must for studying and for future reference. I got mine of off Amazon.

Hope this helps ■■