Artic variations?

probably a stupid question but what benefit is there in a 6x2 as appossed to 4x2? as i understand it a 4x2 to can gvw at 40t so does the extra 4t make that much difference?
further to this, is a 6x2 a must for containers? or more to the point what would a 4x2 + skelly tare at?
cheers
paul

It all comes down to what work you want the vehicle for, and how much VED you wish to pay.

4x2 can indeed go to 40 ton, but the VED costs £1850.00 at that weight for vehicles without an RPC (reduced polution certificate)
VED for 6x2 is £1200 without RPC, £700 with.

does the extra 4t make that much difference?
Well. that all depends on what your carrying, and how much your getting to do it, don’t it.

is a 6x2 a must for containers?
No, only if you want to pull more than 40 ton.

what would a 4x2 + skelly tare at?
Really all depends on what vehicle and what trailer, doesn’t help much does it, my ERF olympic and denison slider come in at around 13 ton.

cheers

Simon.

so in that case why would anyone buy a 4x2? or is that another stupid question?

i drive a 4x2, it’s plated at 40 tonnes but i very rarely run that heavy, usually between 33 and 38 ton.
the advantage is a lighter unit and bigger fuel tanks.
some 6x2 units will not be plated for 44 tonnes but for 41.
road tax is cheaper for 6x2 but the extra axle will weigh around 700 kgs and takes up space that could be used for bigger fuel tanks (important if doing european work).
some operators won’t run their trucks at 44 tonnes because they have not been able to establish a higher rate to cover the extra fuel costs.
if your thinking about buying or leasing a truck for a business venture you need to look at the type of work you want to carry out, perhaps talk to the customer you intend to work for.

more info on ved bands here

dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/taxatio … 20Vehicles

i,m toying with the idea of putting a unit on boxes in the new year,just trying to weigh things up a bit,am i right in thinking the heaviest containers are around 28t ?

paul for that youll need a 6x2 if you want to pull 28 tonne boxes my scanny topline and rigid skelley with an empty 45 foot box tare off at 18 t

Yes, and you will probably pick up more containers with 18 tonne against the headboard and empty towards the back. A 4 x 2 will be overloaded immediately

ok,so it’s needs a 6x2, my next question is do all the firms that offer continouse work operate on minimum millage x amount a mile or is there different ways of doing it?
also are containers the only way of finding gauranteed work for a unit or is there other types of contract work worth looking at?
at the moment i’m thinking maybe put one wagon on to test the water and see how it stacks up against the hiab work i do now then maybe later in the year put another on the same work if it’s panning out ok and possibly drop the hiab stuff if the units look a better earner in the long run, question is,is it possible to get on with just one wagon or are most of the firms looking for two plus?
i’ve a mate who i’ve yet to go and see who up until last year ran two out of immingham but went down the two brand new units on three year lease with r&m route and strugled to make it pay,having read the pros and cons of new v’s old elsewhere on the forum would it be to much of a gamble to start with an oldish unit? and do the firms offering the work stipulate a maximum age for the wagons before they’ll take you on?
thanks in advance
paul

Paul, 6x2 is the way to go really, it gives you maximum versitility, but be aware that only vehicles with road freindly suspension (on Air or Parabolics) and with a Euro 2 or above engine will be plated at 44 ton, otherwise as has been said before, you’ll be paying more for hauling around an extra axle at 41 ton with little capacity benifit due to the actual weight of the extra axle. And look for a unit with an RPC as that will save you £500 a year on your VED. Some box companies will pay a gaurantee,which comes in very handy as a safety net, but there is other work out there. As you know, I’ve got 2 of mine out for a big independent box company and they both makea living. Its also worth contacting companies such as P&O Ferrie masters, or Cobelfret, neither of which offer any sort of gaurantee, although both will keep you running, at a reasonable rate. If you want there contact details, drop me a PM.
Simon.

thanx mate,
just a question on the rpc,are these wagon a particular type of exhaust etc etc or can any wagon get a certificate if you go and get it tested?
as for the firms that don’t offer a written gauranteed milage,is it as case that they’ll only take you on if they can give you continual work or will they expect you to be on the end of a phone waiting for a job?

I sent you a pm with some useless ideas on too :stuck_out_tongue:

you could look at fridge work, i heard mcburneys are screaming out for subbies.
dhl have also been advertising for sub contractors and small hauliers to pull for them.
mat from hull are also looking for subbies for uk only work, possibly from a new depot at doncaster area.
currie european may still require subbies but thats a long way to go for the work however they do have a regular run from ferrybridge area to france and back that could work for you.
you may want to look at leasing a truck to begin with, that way if you try a job and cannot make it worthwhile you can always either send the truck back or try another job with a different tractor configuration, in other words it doesn’t matter if you pick the wrong spec to begin with, as your work changes you can change the truck too.

Thr Reduced Pollution Certificate has, I believe, been discontinued. It was an Idea which was the author of it’s own downfall by the virtue of it’s own sucsess.
You cannot retro fit an RPC to a vehicle which was not issued one at first registration, as the amount of vehicles that qualified far outweighed that which was expected, and hence lost the Tax man too much revenue (Synical? Me?)
Having said that, if you have a vehicle with an RPC, you save a lot on VED, and as long as it passes the emissions test, at the MOT, every year, it will be re-issued every time.So worth finding a tractor with an RPC, ain’t it.

Currie European have a depot at Blythe Bridge in Stoke-On-Trent, you could try them.

that depot at stoke will be closing very soon due to complaints by residents over the trucks entering and leaving the depot, a restriction was put in place shortly after curries took it over which didn’t go down too well with george and the old man.

Curries pull a load of trailers in and out of Proctor and Gamble at Thurrock. Just down the road from Truckworld.