Insurance problems

I’m having trouble with insurance - nothing new in that I guess.

I have my O license application in with the traffic commissioner at the moment and its expected to come through in the next 4 weeks. In the mean time I have bought a tractor unit and is now sat in my operating centre.

However, Truckinsure, who have been quoting me for insurance, now say they can’t cover me because I haven’t got an O license. But to get an O license I need a unit, now I have I can’t get insurance before the license come through because I don’t have an O license.

Am I missing something here? Obvioulsy I’m nervous about having a unit sat in anywhere without insurance, its not going to be used, and indeed it can’t be before I get the O license but I just need it covered.

Has anyone else experienced this? I had been hoping to insure it as a private HGV for a couple of months, but no one seems willing to do this.

Any pointers would be appreciated, as I’m sure I’m not the only new OD to have this problem - or am I?

hmm,tricky,there are actually one or two insurance companies that will insure the wagon without an o’license on it even though you can’t legally run it without one but how the premiums would compare to what you’ve already been quoted i don’t know,perhaps just insuring it as an asset rather than a road going vehicle would be the answer.
take it you’ve not applied for an interim license? if not four weeks maybe optimistic my full license took three months and a fair bit of two and frowing to suit it all out.
sorry i can’t be of anymore help.
paul

forgot to mention you don’t actually need to own a vehicle to get an o’license you only need to add the vehicle to license before you operate it.

Paul, Thanks for your comments, I don’t seem to be getting anywhere with the brokers, or indeed the insurance companies themselves. I don’t want to use the vehicle until I get my O license, but no one I talk to seems to understand the issue, namely, need vehicle to get license, but can’t get insurance until I get license.

One thing I have tried is to insure it as a private HGV - if it were for towing race cars around, but as soon as I mention HGV they come back with the same answer.

Thanks anyway for your comments. As you may able to tell I’m quite frustrated at the situation at the moment.

Cheers

You do not need to own a vehicle to get a license. Nor do you need to have a CPC as so many on this forum seem to think.

Although I did have my unit at the time of my application, I have not owned an LGV for over 4 years now, & have just renewed my license!

Our TN member “Toytown” might be the man to throw some light on the subject of non-commercial use insurance.

Driveroneuk, Thanks for your comments, but I don’t see how you can apply for an initial license without owning a vehicle. One form you need to fill in asks for the details of the vehicle and the license application canot be processed without a valid maintenance contract. But once you have a license I am sure owning a vehicle doesn’t become so critical.

With regards the CPC, I agree you don’t need one and can contract out, as I have done for now.

I’ve sent Toytown a pm,

Regards

Paul

There is no requirement to own any vehicle to be granted a O’ licence (note the SPELLING! :laughing: ) The form to which you refer should be filled out “Details to follow”. In fact, everthing I have ever read concerning O’licence application warns that buying a vehicle before even an interim licence has been granted is folly. But as you have bought the vehicle, talk to Steve Blackmore at Anthony Jones Insurance on 0208 2904560. Explain you situation to him, I’m sure he’ll be able to help. Meanwhile have you applied for an Interim? Oh, and by the way, any comercial garage worth is salt will be able to supply you with the relivent information to comply with the need for a maintainace contract.

Tramper,

Thanks for the info - and spelling lesson :smiley: . I stand corrected about the O application, lack of understanding on my part - and not talking to the ‘right’ garages!

I agree with you that it now doesn’t look like the best call I’ve made - folly, probably a good phrase, and I’m sure one my wife would agree with and perhaps the whole OD venture could be put down to a folly very soon!

My wife has already suggested I call the tractor unit ‘Jinny’s New Kitchen’!

I’ve applied for an interim, so we’ll see how things go. But we live and learn!

Regards

Paul

Driveroneuk:
Our TN member “Toytown” might be the man to throw some light on the subject of non-commercial use insurance.

you can get private use insurance lots of places - especially if you call it a horsebox :wink:

try http://www.nfumutual.co.uk/you/motor-insurance/horsebox/product-detail/

i wouldn’t actually call it folly to buy a wagon before you get an o’license,after all you can either meet the criteria set out on the application or you can’t if you can then there is noway they can refuse you,it’s as simple as that.
my interim took five weeks to actually arrive but i got an o’license number after about three so was able to insure the wagon with that.

Paul B - I have been given a number which will be my licence number, if granted, is that the one you used even though the licence had not been given?

Denis - thanks for the tip, I have just been quoted £234 per year insuring the unit as a tractor unit for a horsebox, i.e. as a private vehicle from our local NFU office.

yes mate thats all you need for insurance,you can also legally operate the wagon from the date the interim is granted even though they don’t send the disc out for another week or so.
if you ring you t.c office they will give you a date when you application is to be considered,you can then ring the next day and if granted you can start running the wagon from that day.
this is excactly how i started with my first wagon.