Any concrete mixer drivers ( owner drivers) on here?

This thread was twelve months ago - have things gotton worse since or is everyone holding on for the good times?
What happens if you only do one load a day and can’t pay for your truck? does it come out of the retention?

Thought i would revive this thread.
Has work picked up for everybody.
Ive been very busy.
had a new truck last November and havn`t stopped. pic below

What do you think of the truck I was thinking of having a Renault 8w tipper if I am ever daft enough to buy another. Mark

First impressions are very good.
You can`t really go wrong as its a well proven engine,gearbox and chassis from a Volvo FM.
430 is plenty of power for 32 ton
The only parts Renault are the cab and engine management.

pursy:
What do you think of the truck I was thinking of having a Renault 8w tipper if I am ever daft enough to buy another. Mark

Renault Tippers look good in Tarmac Livery. This is a Contract Hauliers from down south

STEVENS%20TRANSPORT%20008.jpg

STEVENS%20TRANSPORT%20009.jpg

What would that Renault 8wheeler tipper cost new specced up the way Tarmac wants it :question:

Big Truck:
What would that Renault 8wheeler tipper cost new specced up the way Tarmac wants it :question:

That particular model is full spec,
460 engine, alloys etc,
I believe the cab chassis is £70k or very near.
Depending on body price, about £15k
Livery £3k

roadhog69:
This thread was twelve months ago - have things gotton worse since or is everyone holding on for the good times?
What happens if you only do one load a day and can’t pay for your truck? does it come out of the retention?

It’s getting bad again.

My advice is to stay well clear of Tarmac, by far the worst of a bad bunch. They will thi I nothing of letting you sit there there all day, every day with no work and just sit back and watch people go bust.

They don’t look after drivers and only interested in selling trucks! When your name is on that dotted line they don’t want to know you.

Avoid Tarmac at all cost!!!

mixer driver too:
Ive been very busy.

Looks very clean for such a busy truck

mixer driver:

mixer driver too:
Ive been very busy.

LOL! Pics were taken on a showday at Stowfield Quarry. It had to be at its best for management :laughing:

It’s getting bad again.

My advice is to stay well clear of Tarmac, by far the worst of a bad bunch. They will thi I nothing of letting you sit there there all day, every day with no work and just sit back and watch people go bust.

They don’t look after drivers and only interested in selling trucks! When your name is on that dotted line they don’t want to know you.

Ive had my busiest six months in 13 years, even Jan and feb

Mixer Driver, Where are are you? Central or Northern.?

Tarmac West for concrete is flat out. Hire trucks on constant hire( Haslems ). There are 10 everyday in Oxford and Reading.
Some big jobs going on in that area.
If you want work I suggest you ring West distribution at Stancombe and work away a week at a time. They`ll pay your digs

mixer driver:

roadhog69:

It’s getting bad again.

why do folk sign up on the dotted line for a new truck without thinking about what they can do when the work drops quiet ?

mixer driver too:

It’s getting bad again.

Tarmac West for concrete is flat out. Hire trucks on constant hire( Haslems ). There are 10 everyday in Oxford and Reading.
If you want work I suggest you ring West distribution at Stancombe and work away a week at a time. They`ll pay your digs

Thats because Tarmac are some of the worst companies for cutting the prices to get jobs,it just drives the industry down and it will take years to recover.
Our Asphalt rep told me that Tarmac under cut him on coated by £7 per tonne now the way I see it 50p would have probably won the job so tarmac lost £6.50 a tonne.

mixer driver too:

It’s getting bad again.

I’ve been busy at my plant for past 7 years, we’ve been flat out doing anything from 150+ loads every month with call outs, weekends, nights, bank holidays but I’ve seen how they treat the not so lucky drivers.

We are Tarmac central mate.

Worst management I’ve ever come across, no I care at all for drivers, just interested in selling trucks.

why do folk sign up on the dotted line for a new truck without thinking about what they can do when the work drops quiet ?
> [/i]
>
> Moose, i understand what your saying but this is my eighth new mixer. It goes quiet now and again but a contract is for 5 years.
> I had 4 on the road at one time.
> The reason for sleeper cabs now is when its quiet at your plant travel to another area for work.
> Doesnt have to be all the time. Just when required.* *> Tarmac are always hiring mixers somewhere.* *> Well get first shout for work before hire trucks.
> They pay transfer payments and £50 a night out

> I’ve been busy at my plant for past 7 years, we’ve been flat out doing anything from 150+ loads every month with call outs, weekends, nights, bank holidays but I’ve seen how they treat the not so lucky drivers.

Mixer Driver
Which plant are you based at?
There are 3 of us with new Renault sleepers. You might see us up your way if it goes quiet :smiley:

I`ve met a couple of drivers from Central recently.They were in West Midlands helping out on the M5 central reservation with Extrudakerb.
Think they were from Stafford

i myself drive a tarmac contract tipper truck for a local haulier on nights when i’ve not been to buisy during the day doing welding and fabrication work along with fitting/repair work on other haulier’s trucks, i also have my own truck which was a contract tarmac truck on blocks till 2 years ago, it was bought and paid for long before it went onto contract with tarmac, so no finance, has a seasonal job now as the rates on the blocks were crap!
this became more evident as the price of fuel rose far faster than any rate increase given!
i dont know owt about mixer rates but i do know round these parts putting your name on the dotted line for a new truck whilst doing no repirs,maintainance yourself on said truck is a sure way to make no more money than an employed driver, and far less in some cases!

Moose:
i myself drive a tarmac contract tipper truck for a local haulier on nights when i’ve not been to buisy during the day doing welding and fabrication work along with fitting/repair work on other haulier’s trucks, i also have my own truck which was a contract tarmac truck on blocks till 2 years ago, it was bought and paid for long before it went onto contract with tarmac, so no finance, has a seasonal job now as the rates on the blocks were crap!
this became more evident as the price of fuel rose far faster than any rate increase given!

i]i dont know owt about mixer rates but i do know round these parts putting your name on the dotted line for a new truck whilst doing no repirs,maintainance yourself on said truck is a sure way to make no more money than an employed driver, and far less in some cases

Hi Moose,
I know Mixer rates are way above Tippers. Probably 25%. My mate has 3 mixers and 1 tipper with Tarmac.
We have whats called a terminal/mixing rate for mixing which is paid before we drive outside the gate.
Then radial miles not road miles for delivery.
We now have a fuel escalator on rates. Diesel goes up, rates go up (+/-3p/p/litre= 1.2% rate rise)

I realise if you have a troublesome truck it can break you, as with all Haulage. A mixer wont see much more than 5/6 years before you start getting big maintenance bills. i decided on new as my merc was 7 year old and starting to cost a lot to maintain. Now Ive got new again with warranty, no maintenance costs

the tippers have a fuel escalator also, the last time i looked it still wont keep up with the price of fuel
the tippers work on road miles, i used to have the truck in tarmac topfloor on beams and they paid radials, which i was never v keen as south london and east coast areas were crap from the derby area!
i understand that some quarry operators are moving away from radials to road miles and the hauliers are up in arms!

mixer driver too:

Moose:

i]i dont know owt about mixer rates but i do know round these parts putting your name on the dotted line for a new truck whilst doing no repirs,maintainance yourself on said truck is a sure way to make no more money than an employed driver, and far less in some casesH

Hi Moose,
I know Mixer rates are way above Tippers. Probably 25%. My mate has 3 mixers and 1 tipper with Tarmac.
We have whats called a terminal/mixing rate for mixing which is paid before we drive outside the gate.
Then radial miles not road miles for delivery.
We now have a fuel escalator on rates. Diesel goes up, rates go up (+/-3p/p/litre= 1.2% rate rise)

I realise if you have a troublesome truck it can break you, as with all Haulage. A mixer wont see much more than 5/6 years before you start getting big maintenance bills. i decided on new as my merc was 7 year old and starting to cost a lot to maintain. Now Ive got new again with warranty, no maintenance costs

The rates rarely go up inline with the fuel increase, they keep it just under the line for a increase in rates.

The rates at Tarmac are worst out of all the other concrete firms, we had a meeting in ettingshall last year where they admitted to us our rates are lowest.

I’m based in Liverpool area. Don’t know anyone from Stafford.

You seem brain washed by the Tarmac bully boys. Ive seen them stand there and watch drivers go bust, they put rates down in the middle of the recession, they don’t drop there prices in order to get more work, they rip us off with the verifi!

They are total ■■■■■■■■