price sought

Wonder if someone could help me. A ‘T’ reg FH12 Globetrotter XL CD trim 460bhp, 6x2 midlift, good condition and very clean and tidy. Never checked the KMs but I believe they are around the 700k mark. What sort of money would I be looking at to pay for this vehicle. It is from a Volvo dealer as well, so I know it would be a little higher than a private deal.

Many thanks.

I wouldn’t be suyprised at £28-30K to be honest. Volvo are particulary expensive new or used, for the spec you get. Saying that, there are very few to be found secondhand at present. I have just bought a used Mercedes Actros Megaspace, the driver wanted a FH XL but the few that were available were too much money.

I got quoted £27,000. A bit pricey I thought, about 3-4k over the top. He did offer a 12 month driveline warranty with it. Willhave a chat with him today and see if he will drop the price a bit.
Thanks Tramper

When I opened this thread and read your first post and before I scrolled the page down to see your reply i thought to myself £25 - 26,000. £27,000 still wouldn’t be bad with the 12 month warranty he is offering. Hopefully he will come down a little though. Good luck.

Pecall:
I got quoted £27,000. A bit pricey I thought, about 3-4k over the top. He did offer a 12 month driveline warranty with it. Willhave a chat with him today and see if he will drop the price a bit.
Thanks Tramper

my Daf 85CF was X reg, similar mileage and £15000 when I bought it 12 months ago - Is a older but higher spec Volvo really worth that much more :question: :question: :question:

Denis F:

Pecall:
Thanks Tramper

my Daf 85CF was X reg, similar mileage and £15000 when I bought it 12 months ago - Is a older but higher spec Volvo really worth that much more :question: :question: :question:

Not IMHO but there again I do have two CF’s at the moment and can’t fault them :laughing:

Denis F:

Pecall:
Thanks Tramper

Well, from my point of veiw, no, it’s not. In fact on Saturday I was driving a T reg 85CF basic sleeper 430 with 790000 on the clock, it went well, and it was a lot more comfy than the FH Globe I was driving in my last job! That motor in its rough looking condition might fetch about 9-10 grand? I was that pleased with the ride and comfort I’d say I’d buy one meself. Personally tho, I wouldnt want to pay 27 grand for a motor with 700000 on the clock whatever it was.

slightly off topic but weve got foden alphas at the co-op. its the cf cab, although i dont do any nights out in them i find its the comfiest cab ive been in. and ive driven most if not all makes of motor.

I drove a 65CF 18 tonner yesterday, even that had a nice big bunk. Are the cabs all the same?

Denis F:

No, not worth that much more as such but that is what they go for. Good news if you are selling one rather than buying mind you. :smiley: :wink:

A new start would be better going for another make and seeing how it goes and then if they have their heart set on a Volvo going for it in my opinion.

Coffeeholic:
A new start would be better going for another make and seeing how it goes and then if they have their heart set on a Volvo going for it in my opinion.

I went from a Volvo to a Daf :wink:

ok the volvo was an E reg F10 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: that the previous owner of the business had when I took over :blush:

I think you’re right actually - start with something cheap, cheerful and reliable and go for the top spec stuff after you’ve been going a few years

Believe it or not,
I’ve recently been offered by a local Foden dealer (who is hoping to clench a deal for a new “Special” Foden Alpha with a large mounted crane) the following trade: 2004 Daf CF 430 space cab, 6x2 approx 115k, small wheels on mid axle, PTO, for an unbelieveable £31000 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :smiley:
This is way over my predicted budget for a new start but its a monster deal that I’m finding hard to ignore :exclamation: :exclamation:

27 grand for a t reg volvo the guy obviously doesnt want to sell it then id say 15grand tops volvo are good trucks but not that good my mate bought a 1 owner and 1 driver from new s reg ERF olympic with ally wheels in mint condition for 9grand which i will have the pleasure of driving soon :laughing:

I’ve got a “T” reg volvo FH12 420 6x2 globetrotter

I’ve ordered a new one as you all know and I’ve just recieved written confirmation of an offer of £19,000 as a part ex price.

They also said it could quite possibly be more depending on the market come April next year.

The point of this post is you may think it is more expensive than other makes of the same year, But you will get more for it when YOU come to sell it.

As with most things in life you get what you pay for.

I could have bought a Mercedes/MAN?Renault etc etc for a lot less money but when I want to trade it in it will be worth a lot less also.

My own advice if you are a new start would be to buy the best motor you can afford outright if you have to get finance then you might as well get a new motor then you will have 3 years motoring without the worry of a breakdown (or paying for it at least)

From conversations I’ve had with other O/d’s the biggest cause for going down the pan seems to be a major breakdown in the first year or two

north surrey haulage:

I’ve ordered a new one as you all know and I’ve just recieved written confirmation of an offer of £19,000 as a part ex price.

They also said it could quite possibly be more depending on the market come April next year.

:laughing: Truck salesmen, they never go to heaven.

north surrey haulage:
My own advice if you are a new start would be to buy the best motor you can afford outright if you have to get finance then you might as well get a new motor then you will have 3 years motoring without the worry of a breakdown (or paying for it at least)

From conversations I’ve had with other O/d’s the biggest cause for going down the pan seems to be a major breakdown in the first year or two

The main reason for going down the pan is overstreching one’s finances,and having no margin to cope with work lulls or other big costs (A truck warranty does not cover accidents, tyres, or theft, or the hike in premiums after a big claim for such)
Running on a tight budget while you are spending £300+ per week on HP or Contract hire is asking for trouble.
A 10 grand motor on HP is going to cost around £50-£75 per week, most people can cope with that if the job goes quiet, and if a 10k motor has a major failure, there’s plenty of other 10k jobs around to replace it, and if you can get 12 months out of such a motor and it does croak, then you’ve lost less than the depreciation on a new one.
Get established before spending the £’s, especially if they are not your £’s.

Manwell:

north surrey haulage:

:laughing: Truck salesmen, they never go to heaven.

north surrey haulage:

The main reason for going down the pan is overstreching one’s finances,and having no margin to cope with work lulls or other big costs (A truck warranty does not cover accidents, tyres, or theft, or the hike in premiums after a big claim for such)
Running on a tight budget while you are spending £300+ per week on HP or Contract hire is asking for trouble.
A 10 grand motor on HP is going to cost around £50-£75 per week, most people can cope with that if the job goes quiet, and if a 10k motor has a major failure, there’s plenty of other 10k jobs around to replace it, and if you can get 12 months out of such a motor and it does croak, then you’ve lost less than the depreciation on a new one.
Get established before spending the £’s, especially if they are not your £’s.

I dont disagree with that theory totally there are pluses & minuses with both ways of doing things my personal view is you have less chance of somthing hgoing wrong in a new motor than in a 10k motor so you are buying peace of mind as well.

Like I say you pays your money you meles your choices

north surrey haulage:
my personal view is you have less chance of somthing hgoing wrong in a new motor than in a 10k motor so you are buying peace of mind as well.

Speaking from experience I can only agree with you. I’m on my third new vehicle, I keep each one for 3 years and I’ve had the current one for coming up to 21 months. between all three vehicles I’ve only had three occasions when they have had to go into Volvo other than for servicing or inspections and none of the three occasions was for anything major and they were all covered by the R & M. Tyres and damage aren’t covered by the R & M but second hand or new you still need tyres. I’ve only had to by 4 tyres in the last 8 years and damage has consisted of one smashed headlight, caused by a stone flying up from the road, and a mirror cover those costs have been very small.

I did start with a second hand truck until I was established but wouldn’t go back to second hand now.

Tell him to forget the drive line and get the price dropped. You can buy your own warranty , that truck is only worth about 19 Grand!!! I bought a 144 Topline from a wel known Midlands SCANIA dealer, paid £29000, for it, with only a 3 month driveline on a 1998 yr, went to sell it back to them 8 months later, they offered me £17000, it was in better nick then than when I bought it. Dont be silly an dthro yer money away. Dealers make £4000 upwards profit per truck on every sale, will offer you rock bottom when you come to sell with all the spiel when they are trying to get it of you. You can get the warrant, for 6 or 12 months fully comp , not driveline for approx £1000/£1600, your covered for everythin from then on for that period.Dealersare such a rip off.

A driveline warranty is rubbish, you buy the truck, cluctch goes, your brakes go, your exhaust goes, your electrics go, your AirDryer goes, your compressor goes, a cog goes in your gears, YOU AINT COVERED!!! NOT WITH DRIVELINE, ITS ENGINE AXLE, GEARBOX ( NOT A COG).
Buy a decent second hand truck private, take it to a dealer and get a warranty put on it, save you money