Who much do you take home per week?

Just out of noseyness, and more to completely put me off the idea of perhaps becoming and o/d in the future, what sort of money are you guys on UK work on topline per week after fuel, maint, r/f/l, insurance, o/l, cost etc?

Particularly interested in those of you who do boxes.

When I worked for small box companies up here we were on distance work up and down to Felix, Thamesport and Tilbury Monday-late Friday night, possibly a Sat morning run-in and were making about £1900/week on Zim work. After all the above deductions, how much should I expect topline per week running legal?

I understand that if you get your yard vetted by Maersk for security you can pull for them on very good rates so I’m told.

Rob K:

Not thinking about coming into the Livestock sector then Rob :question: :wink: :open_mouth:

Rob, as an owner driver you are not going to get a weekly wage. The drawings you take come out of profits. Dont forget replacement vehicles, depreciation and tyre damage and breakdowns. as well as Accidental damage which cant be claimed on insurance without paying a big excess.

You have to work hard to pay the tax bill before you get anything substantial.

Also dont forget you may have to stand the company credit for 90 days or more and still pay all your bills.

Good luck in your decision :confused:

So come on, what sort of figures are we talking roughly :question: £100 profit per week, £500?, £1000?, £2000, what ?

i would imagine you wouldn’t see a profit in the first 6-12 months, not unless you were running 24/7 and even then you’d struggle. That is of course a novice guess, but upon the research i’ve done a good one.

:laughing:

Rob K:
, £500?, £1000?, £2000, what ?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just a rough idea for your own operating costs which include ins,tax,maint,phone,etc. you would expect to allow £1000.00 at least a week before you make any profit and then hope no breakdowns or tyres blown.

Rob

This year I paid I paid nothing in income tax :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Which means on paper I earnt nothing :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

but if I had really earnt nothing I wouldnt be a lard arse as I would have starved by now.

laying my cards on the table I would say
If I had no finance payments &
if I did a minimum week of 1500 miles(guaranteed) and turned over £1620 (1500 x £1.08]

my expenses would amount to somthing in the region of £850

so I would “earn” £770

But if I go over this figure I earn about 2 thirds and about 1 third goes in the tank

So supposing I did 2000 miles @ £1.08 that would mean
£770 out of the first 1500 miles then
£356 out of the next 500 miles so in total adding up to £1126

But this is very simplistic as life has a way of surprising you with the odd repair bill tyre etc etc every now & then

but I do have finance payments and I’ve only been an o/d for 18 months

so the above figures are only a best case scenario ie when I’m paid off my finance and owe nothing out any more which should be in about 4.5 years (would be 18 months but I’m about to buy a new vehicle over 3 years)

thanks for the honest reply north surrey haulage, its something i`ve thought about quite a bit lately too and your figures are a good guideline.
rgds jon

Denis F:

Rob K:

Not thinking about coming into the Livestock sector then Rob :question: :wink: :open_mouth:

i reckon he’d be good at that - he’s a bit of a bull shipper already :wink: :laughing:

jj72:

Denis F:

Rob K:

i reckon he’d be good at that - he’s a bit of a bull shipper already :wink: :laughing:

:open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :cry:

north surrey haulage:
Rob

This year I paid I paid nothing in income tax :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Which means on paper I earnt nothing :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

but if I had really earnt nothing I wouldnt be a lard arse as I would have starved by now.

laying my cards on the table I would say
If I had no finance payments &
if I did a minimum week of 1500 miles(guaranteed) and turned over £1620 (1500 x £1.08]

my expenses would amount to somthing in the region of £850

so I would “earn” £770

But if I go over this figure I earn about 2 thirds and about 1 third goes in the tank

So supposing I did 2000 miles @ £1.08 that would mean
£770 out of the first 1500 miles then
£356 out of the next 500 miles so in total adding up to £1126

But this is very simplistic as life has a way of surprising you with the odd repair bill tyre etc etc every now & then

but I do have finance payments and I’ve only been an o/d for 18 months

so the above figures are only a best case scenario ie when I’m paid off my finance and owe nothing out any more which should be in about 4.5 years (would be 18 months but I’m about to buy a new vehicle over 3 years)

Thanks for the Sean, and I echo Jonboy’s comments too.

I was having a good talk with Mal on the bell last night about it when he was at The Grain and I’ve decided it’s not for me. My heart’s in it, but I get stressed easily when I have to chase my arse when on an hourly rate and the tackle is someone elses so I hate to think how I’d end up when I find myself marooned at Felixstowe on a Friday night in a 3 mile long queue 'cos the winds picked up and they’ve closed or something like that.

Too much like hard work for me if I’m really honest :grimacing:

"Rob K:

My heart’s in it, but I get stressed easily

If you get stressed easily then your will probably attack you within the first year :confused: :confused: :wink:

north surrey haulage:

"Rob K:

My heart’s in it, but I get stressed easily

If you get stressed easily then your will probably attack you within the first year :confused: :confused: :wink:

thats right, I reckon thats one of the biggest things to consider if buying a truck. If you freak out at the problems that come along, all you needs after is a length of rope :laughing: Seriously tho, fair play, it is not for the faint hearted, how you got tthe balls to buy a new motor Sean is beyoned me n all! :open_mouth: :smiley:

By the way Rob, I always had a wage lets face it, i couldnt have survived with mortgage kids, stay home wife ect for 5 years on nowt, but a bit like Sean, had the accountant asking how we lived! If I do get another motor Im hoping to get just a living, but at me own pace (slow) not the race and tear needed to pay me, a gaffer, and a expensive motor! :laughing:

I have always wanted to be an O/D … but the thought of blow outs etc has put me off. Thanx for the honest answer, NSH… I know I could ask wifey to bankroll me but I ain’t got the balls to do that lol.
Would I be right in saying you need a fairly substantsial amount in the bank to see you over the first year?

You do need a fair chunk of wedge to see you over 'til you recieve your first lot of payments.
I went on for Hanbury Davies mainly because they pay weekly but 4 weeks in arrears ie week 1 is paid in week 5.
Also they give you a guarantee of 1500 miles per week so as of 6/09/04 when the rate goes up I will be getting £1620 guaranteed which means I know my overheads are covered so it takes a bit of pressure off.

Having said all that after buying/leasing a motor I would say you will need £5,000 to see you through the first month more if you go for longer payment terms (Unless like me you have a major breakdown in the first 3 days then you will need more :cry: )

I’m reminded of a couple of old sayings about road haulage

If you want to be a millionaire in haulage you have to start with a billion

and

A road haulier dies and arrives at the Purley (just up the road from me :wink: ) gates.

Peter says
“Welcome my son pray tell me what have you done in life to deserve to enter hear?”
Haulier replies
“My job was as a road haulier…”
Peter interupts & says
“Say no more,My son come in there is a row of harps over there take your pick,for my son You’ve had your taste of hell:wink: :laughing:

TheBear:
Would I be right in saying you need a fairly substantsial amount in the bank to see you over the first year?

You need a good amount in the bank just to get the O Licence before anything else.

Just got hold of the rate sheet for P+O Ferrymasters for traction work on job rate around Northern Ireland/Southern Ireland, this would suit me as there are very few nights out which is what I want. I “think” I’ve worked it out at approx 80p/km(approx £1.20/mile) forward delivery and 55p/km(approx 80p/mile) for return loads with no trailer hire!!.I don’t think this looks too bad considering I can get diesel over the border for around 60/65p/litre.Unfortunately there is no guarantee weekly minimum but I think I’ll bell up the TM on Monday as I’ve been told quite a few drivers are nearing retirement to see if there would be any interest in a new start as the nice shiny new “O” licence is gathering dust in the kitchen drawer :exclamation: :wink: .