Resttricted operators licence

Hi !

Please excuse the long post.

I work for a small engineering company and we send all our daily deliveries out using various national courier companies.

From time to time we have larger consignments to send out - usually when we are doing a site installation and need to transport maybe a couple of big compressors and lengths of pipe work. This is always a problem because the site might be awkward to get in to (permits required etc), or we need to keep the wagon on site for a few days etc. We always struggle to find suitable local hauliers as each job is different - and usually a pain in the arse !

I was wondering if it was possible or feasable for us to apply for a resticted operators licence so that we can hire in vehicles as and when required. We might only need to do this half a dozen times a year and we have 2 truck rental companies within a couple of miles. We have an employee with a C + E licence (although we’d only really need a big rigid) and our insurers don’t forsee a problem.

Do you think this is a worthwhile idea - or a non starter ?

I have a few questions assuming it is possible -

Would we need to have a transport manager / CPC holder ?
Is it possible to have an “O” licence and no vehicles ?
If so how do you go about getting the tax disk type licence when you hire something ?

I would really value your thoughts. We’re not tyring to do the transport industry out of any real work - just to make my life easier as I’m the poor sod that has to try and arrange these jobs.

Thanks !

Garreth.

Im sure you could get a restriced licence for what you want to do,

you will need a cpc holder, as for the o licence somebody should be along who knows what they are talking about

Taken from another thread where someone was asking about own account large vehicle.
I had listed roughly the o licence requirements for normal with the following statement, to which mrpj clarified.

mrpj:

Semtex:
Because you are only transporting your own goods, some of these may be relaxed but I am not sure what.

There would be no requirement to have or employ someone with a cpc. The other rules would be the same though

If this makes sense

gogzy:

you will need a cpc holder, as for the o licence somebody should be along who knows what they are talking about

there is no need for a CPC holder on a restricted licence :exclamation:

yorkshire rover:
Hi !

I have a few questions assuming it is possible -

Would we need to have a transport manager / CPC holder ?
Is it possible to have an “O” licence and no vehicles ?
If so how do you go about getting the tax disk type licence when you hire something ?

Garreth.

You wouldn’t need a CPC holder as it’s your own freight.

Yes you can have an O Licence with no vehicles

You have 28 days to tell the TC about the vehicle, so for short term hire you wouldn’t have a O licence disc anyway.

In practice your plan would work but it might not be the cheapest way of doing things :wink:

gogzy:

Hi gogzy, 'Fraid not mate… :frowning:

A CPC holder isn’t required for a restricted ( = ‘own-account’ ) ‘O’ licence. Strange, but true!! :grimacing:

I agree with Denis F on this one, cos it might not always be the cheapest way of doing things.

However, it would give more direct control over certain jobs, which might sometimes outweigh the cheapness in terms of the firm’s reputation with the client. :wink:

Thanks for your answers guys.

I appreciate that it might not be cost effective - but on these jobs its more about giving a certain level of service than the cost.

I assume the next step is to download all the info from the VOSA website and put in the application ?

Cheers !

Garreth

dieseldave:

gogzy:

Hi gogzy, 'Fraid not mate… :frowning:

A CPC holder isn’t required for a restricted ( = ‘own-account’ ) ‘O’ licence. Strange, but true!! :grimacing:

I agree with Denis F on this one, cos it might not always be the cheapest way of doing things.

However, it would give more direct control over certain jobs, which might sometimes outweigh the cheapness in terms of the firm’s reputation with the client. :wink:

well you learn something new everyday :smiley:

yorkshire rover:
Thanks for your answers guys.

I appreciate that it might not be cost effective - but on these jobs its more about giving a certain level of service than the cost.

Hi Garreth, I thought that the degree of control you have over a particular job may sometimes be of use to you. :smiley:

yorkshire rover:
I assume the next step is to download all the info from the VOSA website and put in the application ?

Yes Garreth, that’s about the size of it mate, but the process is far from cheap, quick or easy. :wink:

I suggest that you study the download info very carefully indeed, followed by a proper cost Vs. benefit analysis, because Denis F has a very valid point. :smiley:

Good luck mate. :smiley:

Thanks for all your help.

I’ll study all the info then let my boss make the call - at least I’ve done my bit by finding out whats involved.

Cheers !

Garreth.

Your main costs are applying for the licence in the first place and then renewal for each vehicle. Assuming you will only have one vehicle at a time. Its not going to be a problem.

You will need to be able to provide financial evidence that you can get £8500 together for your first vehicle (goes down for subsequent ones). But again with a company your size that shouldn’t be a problem.

mikeyb:
Your main costs are applying for the licence in the first place and then renewal for each vehicle. Assuming you will only have one vehicle at a time. Its not going to be a problem.

You will need to be able to provide financial evidence that you can get £8500 together for your first vehicle (goes down for subsequent ones). But again with a company your size that shouldn’t be a problem.

The costs are £250 for the application and £391 for a 5 year licence. From March 2010 there is no fees for vehicles on licence, so apply for more vehicles that you are ever likely to need or you’ll end up having to go through the application process again in a few years when you realise you needed more. With all the costs and time that takes. I speak from experience. :frowning:

The finacial evidence you need for a restricted licence is lower than required for other licences You only need proof of £3100 for the first vehicle and £1700 for each additional vehicle.

The forms and guidence notes you’ll need.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/GV79%20December%202009.pdf
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/GV79%20Guidance%20Note%20January%202010b.pdf

Vehicles can be specified online with immidiate effect, the blue disc arrives in the post within a couple of days.

Big Joe:
the blue disc arrives in the post within a couple of days.

Orange disc.

(only mentioned it as the OP’s not familiar with them, not trying to be pedantic :slight_smile: )

Many thanks for all your help chaps !

I downloaded and filled in all the forms, and have passed them on to my boss with an outline of the costs.

Its down to him now to decide what he wants to do !

Thanks again,

Garreth

Why do you require less money for a restricted licence surley a vehicle costs the same to maintain on own account work or hire&reward.

As a side note, be aware of the requirements concerning maintenance records, technically you should obtain the last maintenance sheet for the vehicle you hire and retain a copy for the 15 month period as laid down in the regs, this can get messy and need tight control, should you get a visit from VOSA they will still expect maintenance records, defect reporting and obviously tacho records. You would have to decide how often you need a subby as opposed to the cost and aggro of having your own restricted licence and spot hiring.

Oh Yeah’ Vosa Insider ay :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: