EURO 4 and 5 Discuss

Euro 4 and 5,

Coming in Oct 06…Some manufactures saying SCR some EGR some - not unusually - are sitting on the fence…what do you think?

M-B has said that at best you will get is a 5% improvement on your fuel bill with SCR…but that doesn’t take into account the Urea costs.

Others with EGR claim improvements. The only one I can believe is MAN with its new D20 engine - horse power up to 430 - it has 25% less journal bearings so less friction and therefore less fuel. That said what about Cat’s ACERT?

How about a disscusion on this? No real incentives for the UK on early introduction…but think about the residuals by 2008 if you are replacing the fleet now. On the other hand; buy Euro 3 and they will go still sell to the domestic market; or to Asia or S.A. Will the manufacturers will offer respectable buy-backs on Euro 3 until the eleventh hour?

Keep on Trucking

I havent quite got my head around Euro 2 and 3 yet, but Electronic Engine Management must be the way to go. An engine can be tuned with Telemetry now and even adjust timing and firing orders to give more performance.

Wasnt the Scania 400 Turbo Compound supposed to meet Euro 4 with a few tweaks of the fuel map.

Malc

The emissions levels are so stringent at Euro 4, that engine management alone is not enough. It can address some emisions, but others increase as a result. With SCR they run a ‘dirty engine’ - Euro 2 - and treat the emissions in the exhaust system with a urea catalyst.
EGR uses engine management exhaust gas recirculation turbo compounding etc - each manufacturer does it slightly differently - to cut NOx, but they have to fit a particulates filter to reduce carbon emissions. At Euro 5 everything will have to have a urea catalyst.

Peter

Peter, did CAT claim they are already set for Euro 5 without using egr or scr? Would that be ACERT? I tried to look round the CAT site for more details, but all I could find was some general stuff mainly aimed at sales. It seems to me they are doing a lot around cooling the inlet, and theres a tricky looking turbo!

Merc are offering the euro 4 already and most of the other european countries are offering incentives to take it on (not in the uk because our government looks on incentives as a loss of money not an encouragement to invest)

but I havn’t seen anywhere that sells urea.

Now this could work in favour of the uk hauliers as we obviosly dont need a network of urea outlets at the moment and if the euro hauliers take up these incentives then they wont be able to run here and consequently wont be able to backload to the continent.

So maybe it’s all part of the governments plan to redress the balance :confused:

Daimler-chrysler says that a 110litre tank will last for 10,000km at euro4 but only 7500 on a euro5 equipped truck due to the tighter limits.
10,000ks =6200miles should last a couple of weeks?
regards derek

trucking482002:
Daimler-chrysler says that a 110litre tank will last for 10,000km at euro4 but only 7500 on a euro5 equipped truck due to the tighter limits.
10,000ks =6200miles should last a couple of weeks?
regards derek

Where are they gonna put the 110lt urea tanks when the chassis has been filled with 1500lt tanks so they can run all week without refilling :wink: :laughing: :question:

Mal:
Peter, did CAT claim they are already set for Euro 5 without using egr or scr? Would that be ACERT? I tried to look round the CAT site for more details, but all I could find was some general stuff mainly aimed at sales. It seems to me they are doing a lot around cooling the inlet, and theres a tricky looking turbo!

Mal,

ACERT is Cat’s answer to emissions technology. It is similar to EGR and also uses turbo compounding. To achieve Euro4 and 5 they need a particulate filter and catalyst, similar to the one MAN propose to use.
The new ACERT engine range is a litre bigger than its Euro 3 equivalent i.e. the C12 becomes a C13 and will be max rated at over 500hp. Cat claims a 10% fuel saving over the C12.