Is becoming an owner driver that strupid an idea?

i have spent the past three days trying to put together a competitve package to become an ownr driver.
Most the feedback i have got is constructive advice but the underlining current is don’t do it.

Surely someone out there is successful being an owner driver, otherwise why do it.

Still nothing ventured nothing gained.

cheers

Well, all the advice I can offer is this, if you need others to tell you whether to do it or not, it might be an idea not to. By that, I mean that the only OD’s that I ever met or knew over the years that were (and still are) successfull, were the independant minded and self driven type. Of course, there has to be success stories and failures, even amongst them doing the same type of work. So, ask yourself, not anyone else, “do I really want it, and will I do what it takes, whatever that may be, to do well?” Answer that question yourself honestly and then do whatever YOU decide! :slight_smile:

Luke, its your call, there are many failures and of course many success stories. My advice is dont be naive, get everything in writing , do your research, keep away from companies ( majority) that advertise for subbies/ oner drivers in Magazines like Trucking International etc. You need to ask yourslef why they advertise week in week out,( Y? Because they cant keep their subbies for one reason or another) the ones to work for are the ones that dont advertise as they dont need to, people tend to stay with them because they are looked after (DONT GET RIPPED OFF! Happend to me 2wice and that was because I took work on from a bogus company advertising in a Truck Magazine)and more join thru word of mouth.

Good ones to work for are Derijke, Maenhout, Post Kogeko, Thundermann, P&O Ferrymasters , P&O Refrigeration, McBurney , Nedexco, AllPort

Look at CoffeHollics report, hes worked ■■■■ hard but hes made it work for him. Its tough, and you have to keep goin thru your bad times as there are plenty!
Av also sent you a PM

Routier,
Do you have any website addresses for the above mentioned?
Apart from McBurneys as I’ve already spoken to Carolin McBurney and she told me the rate for reefer traction is 85p/mile loaded 60p/mile empty :open_mouth: I just had to laugh :confused:

Mal:
By that, I mean that the only OD’s that I ever met or knew over the years that were (and still are) successfull, were the independant minded and self driven type.

That doesn’t sound like me :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

Mal:
Of course, there has to be success stories and failures,

I think the jury’s still out on that one :laughing: :laughing: :confused: :blush: :cry: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: fair play Sean, but, youre still in there, thats something aint it? I might even be back meself yet mate, im just thinking it over!

Sean,
If your looking to change to a 70 grand truck after approx 18 months as an O/D I would say thats a bit of success alright,even though your working for one of Routiers “dodgey” companies :smiley: :unamused: :wink:

Mal:
I might even be back meself yet mate, im just thinking it over

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

SOMEONE GET THE HEAD-EXAMINING GEAR, QUICK

Rob K:

Mal:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I agree he definatley wants his bumps felt

Big Truck:
Sean,
If your looking to change to a 70 grand truck after approx 18 months as an O/D I would say thats a bit of success alright,even though your working for one of Routiers “dodgey” companies :smiley: :unamused: :wink:

Ah but it is cheaper to do it like this as by the time I’ve

part exed my motor
put a bit of cash down

all i’ll be paying for is the finance (which should be about what I’m paying at the mo’) and not for repairs because of the warranty & r&m contract :laughing:

Well thats the theory anyway :confused: :open_mouth:

Mal:
:lol: fair play Sean, but, youre still in there, thats something aint it?

Thanks mate you are right, ~I knew when I started that you dont make any money in the first few years and they’re right but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. :laughing: :laughing:

mind you it’s only a pin prick at the moment :wink:

Rob K:

Mal:

Ah, theres pro’s and cons Rob, Im seriously thinking about it for after March next year.

I’m surprised that 7th word on my last line got through the auto censor even tho I’m not swearing :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :open_mouth:

north surrey haulage:

Rob K:

Mal:

I agree he definatley wants his bumps felt

It gets worse Sean, like maybe belling HD for one of their old motors :laughing: :laughing:

BLOODYHELL MAL NOT ONE OF THEIR TWINGO’S

The same. :laughing: :laughing: BUT, only if its got a cruise control!!

I think a fella called Keith has took the last two.

He wears glasses and a Hanbury t-shirt (dont ask) used to have a magnum on there til it blew up a couple of weeks ago

Might be an idea to check?

Like I say Sean, I wouldnt be going for it till after next March anyway. So I wonder what will be about then.

Mal:
Like I say Sean, I wouldnt be going for it till after next March anyway. So I wonder what will be about then.

Mal,
Is your plan the same as mine? meaning March as in when the WTD kicks in for the haulage industry? You thinking the same as me that theres going to be plenty of decent paying work for O/D’s at least until 2009?
We’re thinking along the same used truck lines too ref decent looked after Premiums+ERF’s :sunglasses: and Seans FH :laughing: :wink:
What kind of work are you considering?

Well, thats about the size of it BT! Im wondering what will happen to the job as well, and if the WTD kills the job I like to do, well I’ll have to make one for meself! As for what, likely boxes, but since its really not a solid plan, I aint made much direction yet.