ERF ECX/ECS opinions?

Still doing my “homework” on the O/D lark!!!
Are these ERF models as bad as some make out or would they make a good starter unit for O/D work, Especially a ■■■■■■■ m11 engined 380hp 6x2?
I would probably like to “give her a jig” to 420hp for 44t work. They seem to be dam good value with any amount of ex-contract 2001 low km models available from the ERF/MAN dealers at around the 20 grand straight mark.Thinking of taking one on a years contract hire (handy enough payments) to see how things will work out on a preposed partnership with a good friend who is a real grafter, before commiting to any more money.

I would say you have been very wise coming to that conclusion. The ERF is a decent truck, with the ■■■■■■■■■■■ shouldnt go far wrong. Service and repair costs will be half that of a Scandinavian make.

Probably a little tweak would help at 44tonne but its not so long ago that a 380 was a big truck, BIG TRUCK :stuck_out_tongue:

I reckon that in 12 months we will have to doff our caps to you.

Wheel Nut:
. Service and repair costs will be half that of a Scandinavian make.

you’re paying for “the name” on the Scandinavians :unamused: :unamused:

The ERF will do the same job - give it a try :wink:

I used to hate all ERF’s but have looked a bit closer at the ECX. I did drive one once, and it was a standard sleeper for nightfright, it was knocked to ■■■■■■ and a horrible drive. BUT, those ECX Olympics, and twin bunk sleepers do look a great place to spend the week. ■■■■■■■■ as have been said, is a no brainer simply a great engine, the cabs dont rot, the running gear will be durable, and the price will be righter. If you decide to buy one, get somebody to interrogate the computer for you, it will tell you a lot about the engine, and might save you a packet as well!

Big Truck:
Still doing my “homework” on the O/D lark!!!
Are these ERF models as bad as some make out or would they make a good starter unit for O/D work, Especially a ■■■■■■■ m11 engined 380hp 6x2?
I would probably like to “give her a jig” to 420hp for 44t work. They seem to be dam good value with any amount of ex-contract 2001 low km models available from the ERF/MAN dealers at around the 20 grand straight mark.Thinking of taking one on a years contract hire (handy enough payments) to see how things will work out on a preposed partnership with a good friend who is a real grafter, before commiting to any more money.

THEY ARE COMPLETE RUBBISH

dont by one

p.s dont forget you are buying my motor off me when I get my new one :wink: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the ecx olympic is a lovely motor to drive its got bags of room and the olympic comes with tv/video fridge and microwave as standard fitments the only downside is the bunk is very narrow and a bit on the high side.i will proberly get a ribbing for this but id go for a 470 eurostar come march and the wtd thats hopefully what i will be buying as it seems the only option to keep earning a decent wage :laughing:

Carl:
the ecx olympic is a lovely motor to drive its got bags of room and the olympic comes with tv/video fridge and microwave as standard fitments the only downside is the bunk is very narrow and a bit on the high side.i will proberly get a ribbing for this but id go for a 470 eurostar come march and the wtd thats hopefully what i will be buying as it seems the only option to keep earning a decent wage :laughing:

Well thats 2 of us that like the Eurostar Carl!! Im only giving mine back to get cruise, which ive found I cant live without! Have them 470’s got cruise dya know M8? Olympics would do me fine an all :slight_smile:

Mal:

Carl:

Well thats 2 of us that like the Eurostar Carl!! Im only giving mine back to get cruise, which ive found I cant live without! Have them 470’s got cruise dya know M8? Olympics would do me fine an all :slight_smile:

all the old 13 litre ivecos have no cruise
they have no electronic fuel management system which is needed to operate cruise control :cry:
get a curser 10/13 they have
jon

Wheel Nut:
I would say you have been very wise coming to that conclusion. The ERF is a decent truck, with the ■■■■■■■■■■■ shouldnt go far wrong. Service and repair costs will be half that of a Scandinavian make.

Probably a little tweak would help at 44tonne but its not so long ago that a 380 was a big truck, BIG TRUCK :stuck_out_tongue:

I reckon that in 12 months we will have to doff our caps to you.

Dunno about the 12 months Wheelnut might be more like 12 years!!! :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink:

Thanks for the replies guy’s,
So far, four for, one against,
NSH, Don’t worry I’m not getting the chequebook out just yet,if I come over to look at your big FH you’ll need to have a sharp pencil :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :wink:

I’d advise against it. I believe I’m right in saying the ECX was just to fill the gap before ERF teamed up with MAN.

The whole vehicle is a complete ‘dog’s dinner’.

The heater fan seems to be microprocessor controlled and is situated immediately below the radio. Have the heater on and you get interferrence on the radio. :confused:

The courtesy light switch is located in the door rather than the ‘A’ post. Getting out on a windy invariably means catching your arm on the switch and dislodging it. Many have had this done so many times that the locating hole is elongated and packing has to be used to hold the switch in place. (The design was later altered.)

The interior lights cannot be switched on whilst moving. So, if it is dark and you are trying to follow directions, you have to use the switch located on the back wall above the bunk to switch ALL of the interior lights on, and then go round the cab switching off the one’s you don’t need. :confused:

The headlamps are mounted in a plastic front air dam and are prone to vibrate. Driving with one or more headlamp beams flickering up and down is a real nightmare.

The original dipped beam bulbs were next to useless. One night I almost followed the white line into Clacketts Lane because that was all that I could see.

The lower edges of the driver’s door has a tendency to split through usage. The metal actually splits and separates.

I, like many other drivers that work for a certain company ‘cringe’ when we are given an ECX. The previous model, the EC11 was far more friendly and a lot less hassle.

Otherwise, not a bad motor. :smiley:

If you like something that is cheap nasty and with as much comfort and driver friendliness as a bucket of manure, then they’re great. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

And our company have recently sent a LOAD of them back after 3 years of constant abuse on contract hire,both bodily and mechanically.

I know they’ve just started to appear on the forecourts at dealers,beacuse I saw one,still in our main fleet colour,at the MAN/ERF dealer in Hull,and they’re all 6X2’s

The registrations were all X plate,ending in NH,ie:X 123 ANH.

Ken.

There can be no denying that ECX’s are cheap, Walkermovements truck dealers currently have three minter 2000, 6x2, m11,380hp, ECX’s with medium roofs, 350km and all the toys for around £15500 straight,
this has to be a good deal?

Quinny:
And our compa
ny have recently sent a LOAD of them back after 3 years of constant abuse on contract hire,both bodily and mechanically.

I know they’ve just started to appear on the forecourts at dealers,beacuse I saw one,still in our main fleet colour,at the MAN/ERF dealer in Hull,and they’re all 6X2’s

The registrations were all X plate,ending in NH,ie:X 123 ANH.

Ken.

Ken,
Are those trucks blue or yellow?

They’re actually in either a dark green,a light green or black.

The light green was on a packaging contract,and the others on general contracts,including a leading Northern supermarket comapny. (No prizes for guessing the name of that one,is there.) This job depended on agency drivers a lot,to keep it running,but I don’t know about the packaging job.

Ken.

jon boy 100:
they have no electronic fuel management system which is needed to operate cruise control :cry:
jon

Cheers Jon, I know waht to look out for now M8!

Mal:

jon boy 100:
jon

Cheers Jon, I know waht to look out for now M8!

its ok mal,the bills in the post :laughing: :laughing:
jon

would not touch them with a stick. electronics let them down
now a olympic cabbed ec11 380 would be a better bet.
ok now im not an owner driver but if i was and i was looking for a decent cheap first truck then the ec11 would be my first choice.
why.
first off you need a comfortable truck if you are going to be tramping in it with lots of room.the olympic cab is just that.
obviously it has to be reliable with a proven power train and it has that two.
with no vast complicated electrics to let u down.
they are cheap to buy compared to others.
they are very good on diesel to. remember the erf fuel challenge.
they are made of fibreglass■■? well they are lighter than most units which means more payload if that matters, and atleast they dont rust unlike most 4 year old ivecos.
spares are cheap and parts back up is good.
erf ec11, s dont suit everyone. the driving position either fits you or it dont. try before you buy

Better an EC14 Olympic than an EC11,more power/torque in the engine.

I used to frequent the ■■■■■■■ plant in Darlington on a daily basis,so much so,I nearly had my own clock card.

The 14ltr is a big lazy engine,and can be used for output up to 600bhp.This is due to the bore/stroke etc.In the old days,operators used to buy the 14ltr in roughly 340bhp form,because at that output,there was virtually no stress on the engine components,hence the reason they would run forever.Plus they were a mechanical engine,if you get my drift.( I used to have an EC14/340bhp with Eaton twin split.)

Now the 11ltr,is one of the new generation ■■■■■■■ engines,and runs with electronics,hence the Celect name.While I’m not knocking this fine engine,you have to weigh up the pro’s and con’s of this engine,insofar as it has electronics with it,and operators like about 400bhp out of it.

So do you go for 11ltr/400bhp,and risk an engine reliabilty problem,or do you go 14ltr and up to 600bhp,and have something that lasts forever.

Ken.

I remember a couple of motors I drove witht the 14ltr in Ken, one was a 240 turbo, the other was a 250 non turbo, and a 220, and the dogs bollox the e290 big cam, they were hard to hurt! Talk about last forever. On that subject, the Gardner 240 was about 13 and a half litres I think, again, one thatd go forever.

The M11 is a great motor however, and I seem to think about a million k,s is possible.