Owner Van Driver

Hello All,

Over the past few months I’ve being giving some serious thought to becoming an owner van driver but to be quite honest wouldn’t know where to start.

I’m currently working as an employed van driver and at present work is non-existent as I basically work as and when needed.

My opinion is (you can tell me if this is well founded or not) that when the WTD directive comes in next year and trucks are even more restricted that there will be a bigger demand from vans as they dont fall under the same regulations as commerical vehicles over 3.5 tons and as such are very useful for small or urgent loads.

Basically what I’d like to know is am I first of all in cloud cuckoo land in thinking this is even possible? Secondly if it is possible where would I even start? and thirdly, what sort of licenses would I need to opperate as an owner driver?

Any help and advise would be most welcome!

Hi

I am employed by a small courier company here in Nuneaton and drive either a 7.5 tonner or a Sprinter van. We use several self employed van owners for our work All our drivers need their own goods in transit insurance and you probably would need it as well. At least if you are self employed then the WTD wont apply until 2009 or so. To get work you would need to make contact with all the local couriers in your area and get listed as a contractor. Its a long slog getting set up and then a similar slog getting the bills paid!!

Have a good think!

Calv

I looked into this when I lived in Warwickshire, there were several companys advertising for owner drivers.

The forms were sent out to me with the company crap.
There was a 6 page security clearance sheet, a doctors report to be filled in, a bank managers statement to be completed.

All this was done before you even got to meet anyone to discuss the contract.

They wanted to know the far end of a ■■■■ and which way it went.

Vehicle Spec

Your vehicle must be either High roof Ford Transit or Iveco painted in plain white or blue, no more than 3 years old and must be safety checked in our workshops at regular intervals.

Thatcham approved security devices linked to our own mobile tracking system.

A company uniform will be supplied which you will pay for.

And the best bit.

Gross Earnings of over £1500 per month for an average 6 day week.

I changed my mind fairly quickly after reading the forms, and the worst part is that they keep ringing me to see why I havent returned the application forms :unamused:

robinhood_1984:
Hello All,

present work is non-existent as I basically work as and when needed.

How would this change if you got your own van?

Tartainraider.

The company I work for only use the vans to deliver their own products that they produce in their factory at Scunthorpe. So when nothing is made, or nothing is needed anywhere, I dont work, so I’m in a pretty crap situtation which got much worse last week when I didn’t work at all which I think is completely unacceptable for me. The way I see it, I have 2 options open to me, I work in a steady job in a factory hating every milisecond. As I’m not the sort of person who can put up with 5 days of mysery just to get drunk on Friday and Saturday just to make it all bareably, I dont want to do that, although I may be forced into it. Or I atleast try and make something of myself and stop waiting for things to be given to me on a plate. Having said that, as I’m only 20 (the reason why I can get hardly any jobs driving for other companies) the insurance cost will probably kill off any ideas I have until I’m abit older.
I had always wanted to be a truck driver and still do but I’m worried what future I’ll have if the WTD means less hours = less pay and also if companies start employing Poles etc then I’ll have even less a chance, this has already happened to be before when I worked at sea and was forced out by companies employing cheap labour from Eastern Europe or the Phillipines.

I had thought of the courier companies, and also haulage companies too, I may be wrong but come the WTD wouldn’t it be better for a company to send a van somewhere to pick up the odd pallet rather than a truck that will cost more to get there and waste drivers hours that could be better used else where? I know from personal experience of going with my dad the amount of times we’ve travelled great distances just to pick up or drop a single pallet. Once we even went from Dortmund in Germany where we’d unloaded everything else, right down to Bamberg in Baveria with one pallet that weighed less than a quater of a ton then all the way back to the Ruhr empty.

Calv,

Do the owner drivers at your place work there on a permanent basis or only as and when needed? Also, will the WTD directive cover vans or any other 3.5 ton or under vehicle? Some people have mentioned tachos in vans but I understood thats only for vans that are above 3.5 like the big Iveco Dailys etc? If you have to have a tacho in a 3.5 or under van then I’m not even going to consider doing it, I might as well have my hands tied behind me. When I drive now (seldomly as it sometimes is) I always work over 12 hours, sometimes 16 or so hours a day which is fine, I love doing it and wouldn’t have it any other way, plus if you’re working for yourself, its not such a big deal (i’m sure my girlfriend might have differing opinions!)

Wheel Nut,

I expect the requirements differ from place to place but I’ve got no doubt that it’d be an expensive and drawn out procedure. As for the van, I’d never afford to buy a van straight up so I’d have to lease it over 3 years, would that be a problem? My prefered choice would be a Renault Master as they are alot cheaper than the Sprinter, for less money you get a better condition van, alot less miles on the clock and Masters are usually just as reliable in my opinion. As for Iveco Dailys, I absoluetly hated the one I had a few months back, it was one of those extra long wheelbase ones at 3.5 tons, it drifted all over the place once you got above 50mph and the tiny tank meant I had to fill up all the time and with only the Esso fuelcard I’m given, it can be quite a nightmare in certain parts of the country as Esso claim not to have a book detailing their petrol station locations.

Another question. What would be the difference in fuel consumption between say a Sprinter or a Master Panel van and a chasis van with a curtainsider body that will offer alot more wind resistance etc?

I’ve got a van and small trailer myself, but it’s only insured on PLG. It’s an N-reg Astra-van 1.7TD and it’s done 100K now. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks and it’s used primarily to cart my mates’ and my own mountain bikes around when we go cycling.

The guy next door asked me if I was doing anything one day recently and said he needed some big stuff moving and would I do it. I said yeah no probs (no money was discussed, but I’ve always judged him as being a decent bloke) and next day between us we got two washing machines in the trailer and a cooker, fridge and several other bits and bats in the van and off we went, about 10 miles down the road. Got all the stuff out and he gave me £40 for just over an hours work. :slight_smile:

I could get used to that. :grimacing: Half-tempted to put a “man with van” ad about and see what response is :grimacing: however, realistically I’m not going to see £400 take home per week from it :confused:

It seems to me that you have got the bug to try it, so I say go for it. There aint any need to go on a franchise deal, or be linked directly to one of the big boys, a,they will take the ■■■■ and b, limit your potential. Anybody can try, some fail, but some succeed and do well, the only way to find out is go for it! :smiley:

Who would become an owner driver, the way things are now? Thats a question many will ask, but I’ll tell for free that people were asking the same questions in the late 80’s when I got my own, some now have a fleet, some went bust. I got out OK, the biggest mistake I made was being linked directly to a multinational, OK, the pay was there every 21st of the month. But it was stifling and they didnt like go getters!

So good luck if yiou decide to go for it, take advice by all means, but above all research your costs, set you own profit margin acceptable to YOU, not nobody else, and ignore naysayers unless they have some constructive advice. Business is 99% confidence and graft, with a bit of luck!

That’s good advice Mal

Mal:
Who would become an owner driver, the way things are now? Thats a question many will ask, but I’ll tell for free that people were asking the same questions in the late 80’s when I got my own

I was told I was stupid to go the owner driver route when I decided to try it, all the doom and gloom merchants told me I would be bust in no time and that you couldn’t make a living as an OD, I don’t know if they are right or not because I’ve only been going since 1989 but I’m sure time will tell.

I tell you what Neil, going since 89 is pretty good in my book mate! I know theres been a lot of cost and red tape hoisted on you from that time, so it proves my point really, some float, some sink, so in the same game it proves that a lot of the recipe for success is the individual and what they are/will do, just that! Its good news really, means anybody has at least a chance dont it?

Mal:
Its good news really, means anybody has at least a chance dont it?

Sure does Mal, if I can do it anyone can.

Mal,

I’ve definetly got the bug and the determination to do it but I’m just wondering where to start off? Leasing a van as you’ll know is going to cost as is the insurance so I’d need work from the word go but I realise no one is just going to throw work at me. With vans where do you even come by work? It seems to be a whole different ball game compared to trucks. You’re right about the research, at the moment I’m too full of ideas and dreams and too low on blunt reality and thats something I definetly intend to change, it just seems to be hard to find a firm starting point where you can link everything together from.

When I’ve been abroad I’ve often seen British vans over there from courier/express light haulage companies and thats something I’d love to do, either that or long distance UK but how do I get into that type of thing? What type of companies would I even contact and would I be able to be a sub-contractor to a company that does this type of thing, using my own van? I know there must be oppertunities for this type of thing, I’m just lost as to where to look for it.

I’ll give you a very basic plan Robin.
1 Find out what insurance costs, and by that, I mean real all liabilities insurance specifically for couriers, and a damned good GIT, maybe to the value of 20-30 grand.
2 Research vans of course, what you can afford, Berlingos are pretty good tho!
3 Get over to www.courierexchange.com and have a look, its educational.
4 decide how little you are able to live on before the work comes in full stream.
5 Test your credit, will anyone borrow you money, e.g. the bank.
6 If all this pans out as acceptable, write a letter, print a business card, and mailshot all of the couriers in a 25 mile radius for starters.

Hope this helps!

Hi Mal,

Thanks for that, you certainly have been a help and I’ll endeavour to find out all the things you have said. I’ve been looking at the courier exchange for quite a while now (or as much as you can without subscribing) and I’ve found it interesting indeed. Its a pity I cant use the forum there without subscribing and having to pay £150 for the pleasure.

Thanks again!

I think I dropped a clanger with that url Robin, but im sure yiou already know where I meant :laughing: :laughing:

robin alot of the vans abroad are on hotshot work for car makers parts mainly that have to be there or prodution stops very well paid but long hours you dont stop till ya get there or you could try firms that do rock tours or exhibitions the big carparts player is gefco .give it a go mate.if it doesnt workout at least you can say i had a go rather than when your old n grey saying i wish id have done that

Robin I’m currently doing the sort of work your interested in, and i’m also a member on the CX website.

an idea on costs for you

1. XLWB 313 cdi Sprinter bought new £18,495 plus VAT
  2. Fully comp insurance with annual Green card £1,400 full NCB, thats cheap some guys are paying £6,000 :open_mouth:
    3.GIT Insurance limits £30,000 and CMR £250,000 cost £425
  3. servicing do it myself fully qualified mechanic
  4. Fuel RFL etc?

What can you charge?

UK Hotshots £1.00 - £1.50 per loaded mile depending on wether it’s for another courier co, or your own customer always better.

Uk backloads whatever your happy with, guideline about 50p per loaded mile

Euro Hotshots £1.10 - £1.60 per loaded mile depending on wether it’s for another courier co, or your own customer always better, plus ferry costs etc ie Dover - Calais 6mtr Sprinter £90 ew.

Euro backloads whatever your happy with, guideline about 70p per loaded mile

And remember if the wheels aint turnin you aint earnin

hope that was of some help to you

regards
Iain

Carl,

I certainly dont mind long hours in the slightest, I often work for 16 or 17 odd hours now which does leave me pretty knackered but feeling very satisfied that I’ve spent 17 hours doing something I actually enjoy.

My dad was talking to a lad a while back who has his own van and does car parts, he goes anywhere in Western Europe at a moments notice, sounds very good to me but I imagine its hard getting a foot in the door with that type of thing?

Sprinter,

Thanks for your detailed account, I’m definetly starting to get a better idea of whats involved now. As for the van I’d definetly have to have it on lease rather than purchase one outright I think. I’d like a Sprinter but I’ve been thinking along the lines of a LWB Master as I’ve never had a problem with them, they seem like decent vans and they cost alot less than an equivilent Sprinter of the same age, condition and milleage.

The thing that I think will really hammer me down is the insurance. I’m 20 (soon 21) so you can imagine what my premium would stand at. I’m charged just over £1000 for my private car which is only a Peugeot 106 Diesel!

If by some miracle I can overcome all the start up problems and costs and you were me. How would you go about getting your work? Do you phone around the courier companies? Are there freight agents that deal with small and urgent loads?

And ofcourse theres the Courier Exchange. How good is this service in reality? Do you get alot of work out of it that actually pays or does it tend to be scraping the barrel stuff that enables you to get by in lean times?

Thanks for your help :smiley:

Sprinter:
2. Fully comp insurance with annual Green card £1,400 full NCB, thats cheap some guys are paying £6,000 :open_mouth:
3.GIT Insurance limits £30,000 and CMR £250,000 cost £425

Where do you get your insurance from Sprinter, I too am looking to set up as a euro owner driver and not having alot of luck finding quotes for annual green card/cmr.

Ady