A good friend of mine

…bought his Topliner off our firm and is now out on his own for the second week… :open_mouth:

The stress is already beginning to show, and they’re already messing him about - I’ve had umpteen panicky phonecalls and one extremely drunk one on this subject in the past few days…any tips, guys? :grimacing:

We pull boxes on a mixture of small contract and spot work, btw… :wink:

1. Get off containers
  2. Get off containers
  3. Get off containers
  4. Get another contract!!!

Tell him to have a look at my work offered oage and see who else is looking in your area. All owner drivers should try to get as many good contacts as they can. That way if someone os messing you around you have someone to fall back on or at least to get you some ad hoc work if things go quiet. It usually makes people treat you better if they know you aren’t relying on them!!!

lucy, tell him not to take any nonsense, i just pulled off a company for messing me about, there is PLENTY of work out there.
one time, i used to worry and panic, but now i stand up for myself, and if we all stand up hopefully these co.s will stop treating subbies badly.
there are good companies out there, i believe i have found some.
i find the non english co.s treat us better.
im assuming your friend is not tied to teps by buying the unit??

paul

No, it’s independently financed - up to the hilt, hence the worry! :open_mouth:

I’ve done the subby thing in so far as I used to run someone else’s wagon as my own - sort of all the benefits with a lot less risk :wink: - on boxes…but I can only help him so far. Hence all ideas are at this point gratefully accepted!

Cheers, folks…:grimacing: