Over night Subsistence Night out money

Hi Guys,
Can anyone help with this regarding overnight subsistence payments whilst in Europe, the UK night out allowance is £26.20 tax free allowed by HMRC
what’s the maximum tax-free you can claim whilst on an international journey Rgs Tony

Same as for UK journeys I think. But don’t forget, this is just the amount HMRC will allow to be paid tax-free without full supporting receipts etc for the whole amount. Legitimate expenses (with supporting receipts) above this amount can be reimbursed free of tax.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

i am afraid my info is of a few years ago but we were £25 uk + an extra £10 if in euroland, this seems good unless you turn left out of calais, the further north you go the more expensive every thing is especially, Norway, Sweden, and up,

Try this

gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … %20journey.
£26-20 But read through for bespoke agreements, plus foreign additional payments.
Yes, Mr Magnum, £10 Is mentioned.

Roymondo:
Same as for UK journeys I think. But don’t forget, this is just the amount HMRC will allow to be paid tax-free without full supporting receipts etc for the whole amount. Legitimate expenses (with supporting receipts) above this amount can be reimbursed free of tax.

Not quite right, you need supporting evidence for any amount up to the £26.50 for it to be tax free. So receipts for food purchased on the day count. Or a photo of a meal bought on the day in question I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coiler:

Roymondo:

Not quite right, you need supporting evidence for any amount up to the £26.50 for it to be tax free. So receipts for food purchased on the day count. Or a photo of a meal bought on the day in question I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I said, full supporting receipts are not required. The HMRC manual says “You will also need to have a checking system in place to ensure periodic checks are carried out on a sample of employees. This is to ensure employees are incurring expenses for meals and other subsistence costs while travelling, and that the payment remains a reasonable estimate of the costs usually incurred.”

The requirement for receipts for every night out was removed 2 years ago.

It is interesting to read Q7 about taking timestamped photos of your meal, you can get those from Facebook on most slimming groups :laughing:

Anyone know the tax situation on night out money?
We get £25 split into two.
Pay tax on the £20 but not on the £5 is this right?

Tj916:

In a word no! I’m not suggesting skulduggery is going on here, more that someone in your payroll department doesn’t fully understand the rules.

the maoster:

Tj916:

In a word no! I’m not suggesting skulduggery is going on here, more that someone in your payroll department doesn’t fully understand the rules.

Sounds to me like (s)he is being paid 5 quid meal allowance, and being taxed on the N/O part because? He isn’t actually on a night out?? Or can’t prove or has no checking system to show a night out?
Assuming that the payroll dept isn’t wrong, as you point out. [emoji3]