7.5 ton BUSINESS

I am an ex-Class 2 HGV Driver, Now wishing to set-up and Run My OWN (Solo) 7.5ton(Only) Haulage Business,
I would like to ask if this idea is workable and what type/style of haulage (on a National/European) basis is going to most Viable.
I know this is a Very Broad Request for information but I want/Need to get a Good Understanding of the 7.5t Business Environment, Cannot afford to get things WRONG!!!
I Am and will be eternally Grateful for any Information/ideas/ADVICE/Comments that will assist me in this Endeavor.
Thankyou All for your Consideration and may I wish Everyone good health and Safety always.

Cheers

7.5tonGuy:
I am an ex-Class 2 HGV Driver, Now wishing to set-up and Run My OWN (Solo) 7.5ton(Only) Haulage Business,
I would like to ask if this idea is workable and what type/style of haulage (on a National/European) basis is going to most Viable.
I know this is a Very Broad Request for information but I want/Need to get a Good Understanding of the 7.5t Business Environment, Cannot afford to get things WRONG!!!
I Am and will be eternally Grateful for any Information/ideas/ADVICE/Comments that will assist me in this Endeavor.
Thankyou All for your Consideration and may I wish Everyone good health and Safety always.

Cheers

No replies yet.
If you’ve good paying work of your own, you’ll be ok.
If you intend scratching around for work, you won’t.

OP should find plenty of posts on TN under the whole “going it alone” theme, especially with regard to the “business acumen needed” and “what about your O licence requirements?”
For now I’d just repeat, it’s got less to do with the driving than it has to do with running a business

Aim for low mileage work it tends to pay more per mile :wink:

The is no such 7’5t business.

There is business to cater for your customers needs. If you don’t have customers, you don’t have s business.

I would be very careful in plowing all your money in this industry.

Better off getting a real qualification (electrician, plumber, excavator operator or something like that) and trying to set up something in that industry.

In transport the service you provide is an overhead for any business. Every business looks to cut their overheads. Therefore the profitability is very slim. If anything goes wrong your weeks profits might go out of the window in 3sec.

Example: yesterday on one of our ategos the metal pipe from the air dryer to the compressor went. Vehicle broke down in Cannock, we are based in Bristol. Time was 2pm. If we did a call out they would not be able to repair the pipe as Mercedes dealers dont sell them bent in the right shape, but as a length. Ended up running around dealerships to get the parts and then head up to repair it, and bend the pipe to how it should be. Turned out in an 18h day. If you buy a new vehicle on finance or lease it these problems can be minimized, but so will you profit reduce even more so. So instead of making around 8% you might make 6% margin.

If you go and work as a subby for any large organizations (xpo, wincanton, bwd) they will give you a day rate or run rate which you wont have any control over.

It’s a very low profitability industry with many unknowns on a daily basis.

What’s the well known phrase for many transport businesses - if you want to make £1000 then start off with £10,000!

7.5tonGuy:

Cheers

Bit late to the party here, but Amazon Relay have a weekend program targetted at 7.5t, but it’s going into Europe. So if you don’t mind resting on some odd days, and don’t mind driving to Europe, it can be very well paid,