Self employed driver

Hi all looking for some advice,
Thinking of becoming a self employed driver so I can do occasional Saturday work driving for various companies instead of going through agencys, I work paye during week and was thinking just invoicing for weekend work, do I need to set up a ltd company or can I just register self employed, any advice would be appreciated, this would be for driving services only I don’t own my own unit cheers tony

If you have work arranged with these various companies, you could ask them if they’re happy being invoiced in an ad hoc manner, if it’s infrequent work there’s very little chance of you coming onto the taxman’s radar. I doubt companies would care, your tax issues would not be their problem.

If you’re just speculating without the promise of work already in your pocket, why would someone hire you directly when there are tons of agencies they could go to?

Why would you be self-employed or a LTD co?
As opposed to a person with two jobs and two (or more) employers?
gov.uk/topic/business-tax/self-employed

Zac_A:
If you have work arranged with these various companies, you could ask them if they’re happy being invoiced in an ad hoc manner, if it’s infrequent work there’s very little chance of you coming onto the taxman’s radar. I doubt companies would care, your tax issues would not be their problem.

If you’re just speculating without the promise of work already in your pocket, why would someone hire you directly when there are tons of agencies they could go to?

Oh they will care when HMRC comes knocking if the driver doesn’t submit a tax return or not pay what’s due. The company has to pay it! That’s why very few places will use you on a s/e basis.

presume you have given some thought to who your clients will be!What happens when you make a tentative on whether they would give you some s/e work? You would need to think about some insurance ,unless your client says they will cover you for all damages -an agency often has to pay for drivers’ mistakes.
If you are working at or near full hours at the mon-fri job, howe do you see yourself doing a suitable full shift at the weekend and remain legit?

Being able to work only max 25days per year, its not worth the hassle. You need to do tax, have public liability insurance and very quite main job to not exceed maximum working time allowed.

DCPCFML:

Zac_A:

Oh they will care when HMRC comes knocking if the driver doesn’t submit a tax return or not pay what’s due. The company has to pay it! That’s why very few places will use you on a s/e basis.

Yep. RHA from 2018
rha.uk.net/getmedia/441e656 … t.pdf.aspx

Useful link, cheers for that, not that it applies to me at all but I had no idea the operator would be liable. Looks like the OP would be better off signing up for agency work.