MAN TGX Reliability

Im currently looking to buy a 2016 or 2017 plate MAN TGX with a maximum of 500000km mileage. The price is relatively low compared to a volvo FH and also the fuel consumption is very impressive. However, i have read some reviews that the engine is unreliable. that’s what’s really putting me off buying one. so if there is anyone here with first hand experience with MAN Truck can tell me how reliable they are.

So long as you avoid the 440 EGR engine (the one that used no adblue) you will be fine, pretty sure 2016 is too new to find that engine and nearly all will have been scrapped by now anyway.

Be warned though 500k is about the time the clutch release bearing starts to give out on arsetronic if the vehicle has been on heavy work, you can tell when it’s getting there because you start to feel clutch judder a few months before it’s likely to fail, this is especially noticeable reversing up slight inclines, do not leave it because when it fails it’s going nowhere so a tow in job.

Drag link can wear too, but other than that these are better motors than many think, chassis and drivetrain seldom give any bother, try and get the 480 if you can, the interiors are a bit fragile, fine for someone who takes care but the usual uncaring twerps on some fleets can ruin them in no time.

Just don’t buy any red 64/15 plt ones as I know 3 of them that have sat around for a year doming noting
And the 4th has had a top end rebuild new ad blu pump and has had the o/s rebuilt due to a crash
Other wise they’re ok motors , but with like every thing if it’s not serviced and driven like it’s been stolen stay away

New pastures

If you find one that has an astray which stays shut, that is a probably a good indicator of one that’s been looked after. :smiley:

As others have previously mentioned, there are certain years of manufacturing date models to avoid as Framptons International in Shepton Mallet had a fleet of them and they regularly had engine failures and tow backs .
Apart from that , they are a good and strong truck, but put Plasticine or BluTac on the end of the cab curtain rails as they fall off .
I ripped out the storage box or fridge if fitted to make more room under the bottom bunk .
There is a big blind spot on both door pillars that can obstruct the vision , especially not seeing motorbikes or cyclists.
The door pillars are very wide .

Im either looking to buy a Man Tgx 480 or 500hp. Dont mind which one. recently i got an offer for a MAN TGX 480 with 300000km on the clock for £23,500. The only issue is whether there is going to be major issues when its starts reaching 1,000,000km or over. In my experience with multiple Volvo FH they easily go over 1,000,000. I even know someone who has over 2,200,000 km on the clock. The only issue with them is that they are very pricy.

DCPCFML:
If you find one that has an astray which stays shut, that is a probably a good indicator of one that’s been looked after. :smiley:

What is this ashtray of which you speak? :smiley: The 18 plate I drive doesn’t even have one fitted. Although conversely it does have a cigarette lighter fitted!

the maoster:

DCPCFML:

What is this ashtray of which you speak? :smiley: The 18 plate I drive doesn’t even have one fitted. Although conversely it does have a cigarette lighter fitted!

It’s the tray thing that pops out. If you close it and anything harder than a gentle push, the plastic retaining clips smash inside and it will never stay closed again. RIP knees whenever you climb out of the seat to get to the bunk.

the maoster:

DCPCFML:

When they moved the gear selector on to the dash they got rid of the very handy ash tray and cubby hole flap in dash just below the top

New pastures

todaytbe:
Im either looking to buy a Man Tgx 480 or 500hp. Dont mind which one. recently i got an offer for a MAN TGX 480 with 300000km on the clock for £23,500. The only issue is whether there is going to be major issues when its starts reaching 1,000,000km or over. In my experience with multiple Volvo FH they easily go over 1,000,000. I even know someone who has over 2,200,000 km on the clock. The only issue with them is that they are very pricy.

If you biased with Volvo you are probably not gonna like MAN. You need to appreciate its good points to overlook bad ones.
Any Euro6 truck now is ticking bomb when reaching 1mil. Just wondering why would you keep truck 700k km, would take 6years if driven by one driver.
If you want Volvo drivetrain buy Renault, they are about same price as MAN.
If trumping Man is my nr1 with very comfy bed and quite night heater, none of these will be found in Volvo.

LL79
coming up the M4 last week past the big MAN centre at Swindon, noticed the parking area which as recent as last year was rammed with tractor units was down to a handful of the old shape cab.
Dunno what this signifies, they could be moving premises for all i know, or are they shifting old stock to make way for the new cab version.
If you’re still looking for a previous shape XXL maybe now is the right time to approach MAN dealers.