Truck stop as an operating centre?

I’ve been made aware of an owner driver who needs an external TC, his idea of a suitable “operating centre” is just a known truck stop. Has anyone heard of something like this before?

Seems like some daft cowboy-ish idea to me, how can the DVSA visit an operating centre that is basically just a big car park? Could he have his home address as his “office” to store the paperwork? Obviously the TC hasn’t seen this application yet otherwise I’d know what he thought of the idea.

Sounds like an owner driver. So silly to make them need an office. The op centre could be a “truck stop” providing written permission is provided by the owners. It’s no real difference to an O/D having a space on a large parking area of a larger firm.

Zac_A:
I’ve been made aware of an owner driver who needs an external TC, his idea of a suitable “operating centre” is just a known truck stop. Has anyone heard of something like this before?

Seems like some daft cowboy-ish idea to me, how can the DVSA visit an operating centre that is basically just a big car park? Could he have his home address as his “office” to store the paperwork? Obviously the TC hasn’t seen this application yet otherwise I’d know what he thought of the idea.

Pretty sure there are some EE units that do exactly that at Shepshed truck stop.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think a few small-ish companies operate out of orwell truck stop

Yes TC had no problem to grant many O licences on Red Lion Northampton where owner takes only one time small fee, then we can see trucks parked up everywhere over weekends. Saves operators thousands but i would not operate like that.

Thanks guys, I was a bit worried about getting stitched up, seems like it’s not that unusual. Mind, he has yet to share the written proof of permission to use the address as his OC

Nothing wrong with that for parking only, Have a look at Chippenham t/'s weekends about 50+ of jenkinsons based there.

Well this seems a bit odd to me, Im retired and out of the haulage

The Routemaster in Felixstowe

George Hector at Truckworld Thurrock

Jenkinson at Penrith Truckstop