MAN TGX

Hi looking at a MAN TGX 480 16 plate 400,000km any thing I should look out for good or bad

Top door hinge as if the wind takes the door it breaks the check strap
Clutch bearing
Also ad blue usage as some can drink it others don’t
Other than that they’re a reasonable truck and I’ve been driving one for 3 years and it does the job
P/s what power is it?

Sent while from gods know where

blue estate:
Top door hinge as if the wind takes the door it breaks the check strap
Clutch bearing
Also ad blue usage as some can drink it others don’t
Other than that they’re a reasonable truck and I’ve been driving one for 3 years and it does the job
P/s what power is it?

Sent while from gods know where

I would take a wild guess at 480 :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Driver’s door hinges are near enough service items on these, even if you regularly oil or grease them they were simply never up to the weight of the doors and wear rapidly even if the wind doesn’t cause damage.
Worth putting a tester on the batteries, though chances are they’ve already been renewed.
Steering drag link can wear.
Heater lcd display can fail intermittently.
Worth checking the low voltage connection to the starter motor, wire itself been known to corrode and break off, easy fix its not the starter connection just the wire, awkward to get to though right behind the chassis.
Check the ecu covers are fitted correctly under the lift up grill, camera/tracker etc fitters have been known not to refit the plastic covers correctly allowing water to get in.
Early warning sign of clutch bearing issue (as noted by Blue Estate) i’ve found is when maneuvering loaded you sense excessive clutch judder especially in reverse up an incline, depending on the weight its been carrying they can fail from around 500k, if you feel the juddering in service get it sorted at your convenience because when they eventually fail there’s no immediate obvious warning, its going nowhere and it’s a tow in job, all makes with this box suffer from what i can gather, traxon box hasn’t been in service long enough to know if this is still an issue.

Generally these are decent quite underrated vehicles IMO, presumably arsetronic gearbox, worth getting used to manual shifting for better durability fuel economy and progress.

thanks Judian for extensive informations!
I am in hunt for XXL one, if anyone selling good one, let me know.

Parts prices for some bits are eyewatering. I’ve just seen an invoice for the window/mirror switch pack on the drivers door. Including the coding to the vehicle it was close to £900 from a MAN dealer.

Framptons in Shelton Mallet had a fleet of these and got rid due to engine problems and over heating resulting in tow jobs, apparently it depended when the truck was made as not of them had this problem.

In the German factory they did block testing in the manufacturing process and its something to do with that .
Beware of flimsy cab curtain ring holders and put BluTac or Plasticine at the end of the curtain rail to prevent all the curtain running off the end.
Large steering wheel will give you biceps like Popeye .