New Owner/Driver

Hi all,

I am in the beginnings of starting up my own owner/driver operation based out of Edinburgh and have a few queries which I have not been in a position to ascertain via online searches and logistic manuals I have purchased.

I would very grateful for input/advise on the following;

• I am struggling to locate a place to park my vehicle. I am based in Edinburgh’s West. I am aware I need this to gain my Operator’s licence - how strict are the GOV boundaries on this matter? I am near both Sighthill, South Gyle and Newbridge but it looks like on-street parking only.

• Do owner/operators require a transport CPC on top of the required Driver CPC?

I have googled the life out of these questions and cannot find a straight answer. New to the forum so if this should have been posted elsewhere please do let me know.

Thanks!

Short answer is yes, but you really ■■■■ at using Google, so I can’t see being self-employed would be a wise move.

I’ve just Googled “TM CPC owner driver” and the number two item on the first page is a “How To” guide from one of the leading industry magazines :unamused:

Thank you for providing an answer. As you don’t know me personally I’d appreciate if you didn’t question my abilities to be self-employed. If you note the Commercial Motor link (one I have previously read) this is from 2011 which is 10 years ago. As this is a country which updates and changes rules and regulations on a monthly basis I was hoping to have a more recent and up to date source, hence turning to this forum. Clearly that was a mistake.

You will need a manager cpc or employ the services of somebody who has one. If you study for your own, your questions will be answered. Similarly, if you engage the services of a cpc holder, they should be able to answer all your questions.

That really is the starting point. But, just to mention, you will definitely need off road parking. Some new operators start with a space in someone else’s yard. That’s simply a matter of visiting industrial estates and asking the question.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicle-operator if you check out this page on gov website it will give you all the nfo you need to get started

Winning.jpg

TruckerCairn:
Hi all,

I am in the beginnings of starting up my own owner/driver operation based out of Edinburgh and have a few queries which I have not been in a position to ascertain via online searches and logistic manuals I have purchased.

I would very grateful for input/advise on the following;

• I am struggling to locate a place to park my vehicle. I am based in Edinburgh’s West. I am aware I need this to gain my Operator’s licence - how strict are the GOV boundaries on this matter? I am near both Sighthill, South Gyle and Newbridge but it looks like on-street parking only.

• Do owner/operators require a transport CPC on top of the required Driver CPC?

I have googled the life out of these questions and cannot find a straight answer. New to the forum so if this should have been posted elsewhere please do let me know.

Thanks!

The boundaries are quite clear re parking, you certainly need off road parking (any local farmers you could speak to just another option) You will require a TM CPC holder either sit the exams yourself or employ an external TM cost for one truck about £350 per month. You will also need financial proof of about £8000 available for one truck and a maintenance contract (6 weekly PMI) I am quite near you so any help I can give just contact me

Hello Mate, Sir,

I am the last who should contribute here as I’m doing my Classic one soon to be an employee and not a business owner like your good self.
But when I considered buying a truck I did ‘some’ some research.
Re:Parking. I found that often the company who you’re buying the truck off like a brand dealer, Volvo, Scania, Daf, Man plus all the other great brands I have not mentioned will probably let you park it there officially and you can get your maintenance there too because you need that…“yard” facility to operate, as you know plus maintenance. Probably more expensive than your mate’s back yard but it’s all there. Including a yard manager with a CPC, often. Not the cheapest way to run but you also will get a nice deal on a known condition truck, if it’s one of theirs. There you have an all in package and possibly security for your vehicle

You also need £8k in the bank. sas Gov.UK
Customers goods insurance.
Truck insurance too.
Fuel methods.
A plan.
Marketing.
Cashflow experience which you can get from your local council by paying them or do a cashflow course.
Running your own business takes discipline and determination and pride

I hope you get a nice lorry and some great clients and lots of work.

Have you considered what sort of lorry driving you’d like to do?
Is there a big factory near yours? Go and get an appointment.

Ask, ask, ask, ask, and be “entrepreneurial” above all.
That’s what the other drivers were saying.
You’re right at the beginning. Good luck.
Maybe next year you can offer me a job too!!
Keep your eye on your objective.

All the best.

:smiley:

Newbie 1:
Hello Mate, Sir,

I am the last who should contribute here as I’m doing my Class one soon to be an employee and not a business owner like your good self.
But when I considered buying a truck I did ‘some’ some research.
Re:Parking. I found that often the company who you’re buying the truck off like a brand dealer, Volvo, Scania, Daf, Man plus all the other great brands I have not mentioned will probably let you park it there officially and you can get your maintenance there too because you need that…“yard” facility to operate, as you know plus maintenance. Probably more expensive than your mate’s back yard but it’s all there. Including a yard manager with a CPC, often. Not the cheapest way to run but you also will get a nice deal on a known condition truck, if it’s one of theirs. There you have an all in package and possibly security for your vehicle

You also need £8k in the bank. says Gov.UK
Customers goods insurance.
Truck insurance too.
Fuel methods.
A plan.
Marketing.
Cashflow experience which you can get from your local council by paying them or do a cashflow course.
Running your own business takes discipline and determination and pride

I hope you get a nice lorry and some great clients and lots of work.

Have you considered what sort of lorry driving you’d like to do?
Is there a big factory near yours? Go and get an appointment.

Ask, ask, ask, ask, and be “entrepreneurial” above all.
That’s what the other drivers were saying.
You’re right at the beginning. Good luck.
Maybe next year you can offer me a job too!!
Keep your eye on your objective.

All the best.

Does this post pass the Turing test?

Franglais:
Does this post pass the Turing test?

Seems legit to me, human, sir, mate