Can a driver be TM in a one truck fleet?

I have been offered a job by an old friend who is expanding a van business.
He is getting an O licence and wants to run a trunk between two depots.
He wants me to be his TM (all paid by him) and be the driver of the single unit.

Is this set up viable/legal? Can’t find anything saying it’s not but would like your opinions please…

If you mean you have a TM-CPC and he wants you on the O-licence, I’m not aware of any reason why you couldn’t be the sole driver, in essence it’s no different to being an owner driver.

No reason why not, just needs a bit of discipline on your/ the TM in dealing with things like daily checks, defects, PMIs and of course hours infringements, remembering that the time you spend as the TM must be shown as other work on the tacho which may reduce affect your actual driving role.
Otherwise no reason why not

it should be assumed that the van fleet should be treated as if they were LGVs and all the checks for the truck should be done for the vans and drivers, ie licence, eye sight, walk around checks, service and safety inspections, etc, so these hours might impact on your available hours to drive, unless some one else takes responsibility for them. who would not need to be a tm cpc holder

You would have to check tacho records, issue an infringement to yourself and make yourself sign it, or you could go and sack yourself. :laughing:

Thanks for the replies. Jobs a good un :slight_smile: