Work for someone else and make more. Really?

Mick Bracewell:

Build5:

coiler:
The profit from running trucks is so meagre that for the most part you would be financially better off working for someone.
Most small operators or owner drivers have niche work they’ve done for years, so know the job inside out and which are the best paying bits. They can move very quickly and alter their business to suit the work available.
Larger hauliers need lots of trucks each making a small profit to make it work, the work they do is plentiful but extremely low margins, think Amazon etc.
Which is why most on these forums would suggest you stay employed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get what you’re saying - if you intend to run one truck, you’d be better off working for someone else who is a subby to a larger company who have the contract.

But what if you wanted to be that main subby or God forbid, take that contract.

Am I wrong to be looking at this as a numbers game (small profit per truck, per driver, increases exponentially with more trucks and drivers)?

TM CPC, office, etc etc… remain static with a larger fleet?

Very simplistic I know, but you get my drift.

It’s just a numbers game?

No. Because you will quickly discover that 95% of drivers are [zb] who will a) drive your truck like they stole it or b) bring it back every day with panels hanging off, or c) both. Paying out hundreds for new mirrors, clusters, panels and mudguards nearly every week soon makes you realise that you’ve doubled your hassle factor for no additional income. And that’s before you even get to the part where your phone goes off at 6am with a text message saying they’re sick and not coming in today, leaving you up [zb] creek. Then there’s the crowd that see absolutely nothing wrong with helping themselves to a gallon or two of diesel each week at your expense.

^^^ + 1