One lady owner

Hi, I am looking to move from 7.5 to artics in the new year. Already limited and VAT registered. With a Volvo and no need to be anywhere at any particular time (happy to go to Europe too) what would you suggest as the most profitable type of work? Would I need my own trailer? Happy to live in my cab when I have to.

Any advice appreciated!

Thank you.

Sophia

Find the work first then decide what size vehicle is needed and whether it is profitable, if not walk away.

Welcome to Trucknet Sophia , if you subcontract to a freight forwarder or transport company, they normally supply their trailer for you at no cost to you , your goods in transit insurance will cover loss , damage and theft for the trailer and the goods inside.
For many years I had loaded trailers sent to me unaccompanied (The port authority uses tug tractors to shift trailers on and off ferries ) to me in France so I wouldn’t return to the UK for many months .
I was paid port to port from any French port to deliver around Europe, this would mean running around to Cherbourg , Ouistreham ( Caen ) , Le Havre , St Malo and Dieppe .
In my downtime I would launder the cab bedding, explore the area, while waiting for my trailer.
I was paid a fixed rate , but when the trailer was empty, this was running around doing collections for nothing, which could take a few days and a lot of time waiting around for factories to make their finished products.
Sometimes my collections would end up on someone else’s trailer so they didn’t have to run around.
So no extra to run to different ports , and I would service the lorry abroad such as changing the fuel and oil filters and oil change.
I can’t recommend a profitable way for you , or maybe consider a specific contract such as transport of horses around Europe to polo matches and horse competitions , once the pandemic is over or motorsport event work but that is a no no at the moment.

For UK sub contracting , maybe try Gregory distribution ltd , Harry Monk on Trucknet was a subby for them if he can assist you , if their nearest depot is too far away from you , you could drive up there Sunday night to sleep in their yard for an early start Monday morning, for your weekly rest , ideally leaving your truck in their yard and drive the car home , rather than your truck, which will reduce your weekly rest limits .
Their UK work is easy, mainly regional distribution centres for the food and drink industry, and expect a bit of strapping loads with ratchet straps .
You will get a dedicated planner so be sure to inform of any delays as he/she will be booking in your reload once tipped .
Bear in mind the fuel costs of which you pay up front until you are paid , maybe 30 to 60 days later so a few decent credit cards are needed, for a breakdown, that’s your profit gone and a decent account needed for tyre cover and recovery is a requirement.

Research the DVSA website under applications and decisions pages that list owner drivers to small and large fleet operators, their address is included , so a quick internet search to phone them up to offer your services at a time convenient to them , avoiding peak hours of lorry loading times .

If you are making a living [or better] with a 7.5t, stay that way, artics are no panacea trust me :wink:

Tarmaceater:
For UK sub contracting , maybe try Gregory distribution ltd , Harry Monk on Trucknet was a subby for them if he can assist you , if their nearest depot is too far away from you , you could drive up there Sunday night to sleep in their yard for an early start Monday morning, for your weekly rest , ideally leaving your truck in their yard and drive the car home , rather than your truck, which will reduce your weekly rest limits .
Their UK work is easy, mainly regional distribution centres for the food and drink industry, and expect a bit of strapping loads with ratchet straps .
You will get a dedicated planner so be sure to inform of any delays as he/she will be booking in your reload once tipped .
Bear in mind the fuel costs of which you pay up front until you are paid , maybe 30 to 60 days later so a few decent credit cards are needed, for a breakdown, that’s your profit gone and a decent account needed for tyre cover and recovery is a requirement.

Sounds like paradise :unamused:

You have two choices which will probably result in the same outcome. :stuck_out_tongue:

Buy a lorry

or

The new regime moved quickly to consolidate its power, overtaking all other religious groups, including traditional Christian denominations. In addition, the regime reorganized society using a peculiar interpretation of some Old Testament ideas, and a new militarized, hierarchical model of social and religious fanaticism among its newly created social classes. Above all, the biggest change is the severe limitation of people’s rights, especially those of women, who are not allowed to read, write, own property, or handle money. Most significantly, women are deprived of control over their own reproductive functions.

Thanks for your feedback. I couldn’t work out how to reply to individual posts so excuse the single reply.

I’m sure I will be able to find a niche but it’s really interesting to hear your viewpoints and thanks for the tips about haulage companies.

If I am going to be travelling more widely I like the idea of having the artic but I completely get the point about sticking with 7.5T if there are profitable routes - it’s a big leap.

Hope you’re all doing ok out there!

Sophia

For artics there is going down the route of bulk tippers , this may involve farms to factories or the cereal harvest in the summer months, a lot of running around to make it pay .
Or containers , as you are in Cornwall, there are numerous clay powder factories, they are in the middle of nowhere, ignore the sat nav , and heavy loads that will use a lot fuel to get to Southampton or Felixstowe docks .
I’m not sure about the mobile X-ray scanner that you see in hospitals and who to contact to haul those .
For individual replies there is the PM or private message option.

Tarmaceater:
For artics there is going down the route of bulk tippers , this may involve farms to factories or the cereal harvest in the summer months, a lot of running around to make it pay .
Or containers , as you are in Cornwall, there are numerous clay powder factories, they are in the middle of nowhere, ignore the sat nav , and heavy loads that will use a lot fuel to get to Southampton or Felixstowe docks .
I’m not sure about the mobile X-ray scanner that you see in hospitals and who to contact to haul those .
For individual replies there is the PM or private message option.

Hi, I’ve worked out how to reply! :slight_smile:

Oh yes, Imerys. I wondered about them. Will look into that.

Cornish roads in the Summer…not great.

I would imagine you’d need to tender for the NHS work.

Been there done that and bought the tee shirt etc.
For what its worth the only time I made a good profit as an owner driver was when I owned a 4 wheel 16 ton curtainsider. I then got greedy and bought a drawbar outfit with an A frame. Worked well for a while until the motor went and then I bought 2 artic units and trailers and employed a driver. Needless to say that’s when things went ■■■■ up. looking back I enjoyed the experience but can not see how owner drivers can earn enough to pay themselves what I can earn as an agency driver.
My advise would be to stay small as a one man band so to speak with a 18 ton box or curtainsider doing local deliveries through Devon and Cornwall. Remember you will only get the work the big boys don’t want and if you do turn a good profit they will be after your work. Sadly its a no win situation its dog eat dog out there. Good luck.

miketdt:
Been there done that and bought the tee shirt etc.
For what its worth the only time I made a good profit as an owner driver was when I owned a 4 wheel 16 ton curtainsider. I then got greedy and bought a drawbar outfit with an A frame. Worked well for a while until the motor went and then I bought 2 artic units and trailers and employed a driver. Needless to say that’s when things went ■■■■ up. looking back I enjoyed the experience but can not see how owner drivers can earn enough to pay themselves what I can earn as an agency driver.
My advise would be to stay small as a one man band so to speak with a 18 ton box or curtainsider doing local deliveries through Devon and Cornwall. Remember you will only get the work the big boys don’t want and if you do turn a good profit they will be after your work. Sadly its a no win situation its dog eat dog out there. Good luck.

Hi, really interesting to hear about your experience. That sounds like a sensible approach (the curtainsider, that is). Will have a look around and see what they are going for. I would prefer the open road to Cornwall’s small lanes etc but I’m quite familiar with the roads down here. Did you work for the haulage companies or have a direct relationship with the customers?

Wheel Nut:
You have two choices which will probably result in the same outcome. :stuck_out_tongue:

Buy a lorry

or

The new regime moved quickly to consolidate its power, overtaking all other religious groups, including traditional Christian denominations. In addition, the regime reorganized society using a peculiar interpretation of some Old Testament ideas, and a new militarized, hierarchical model of social and religious fanaticism among its newly created social classes. Above all, the biggest change is the severe limitation of people’s rights, especially those of women, who are not allowed to read, write, own property, or handle money. Most significantly, women are deprived of control over their own reproductive functions.

Thankfully, I’m not called Offred.

Hehe [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usually people who were successful do not share their stories here, therefore more people moaning…
Do not know about Cornwall but for start with curtain Barron Woods is good option…some may say rate is not briliant but its about what you get on the end of the week…easily between 2.6-3k plus vat, thats is good if you reasonable on truck…

Personally, I wouldn’t do it thinking you’ll be making more money.
In fact, I wouldn’t do it at all. Once you’ve factored in the costs and the likely tight profit margin, I’d say the hourly rate will be poor. Plus, you still have to run the business.

Stick to what you’re doing and save yourself a tonne (or 44 tonnes) of grief.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input. All points considered!