VOLVO FM450 vs FM460

Hi,

I want to ask based on your real-life experience what is really the difference between these 2 trucks?

450 is 11ltr and 460 13ltr.

Are there any noticeable differences in pulling power between 450 and 460?

Do you believe that a 450 is as good as a 460?

I am looking for 2014-2015 13ltr 460 but there are very rare to find.

No one??

The 460, has got more torque, and HP, so will go up hills quicker, thus cover more ground in a day, and if driven correctly, use less fuel than a 450… only downside if your on tipper work, paid by tonne, which is lighter. If the 460 is lighter, question answered, if 450 is lighter, but uses more fuel, which will earn you the most money…

^^^^
Oh no, payload and revenue on one side of the equation and engine output on the other. You should know better. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Might be interesting to ask around about overall reliability and durability of the 450 models.

I’d always go for a larger engine running the same or similar claimed bhp as smaller engine, generally in my experience a larger engine running easy will have a longer and more reliable life, fuel usage depends on the driver to a great extent.

Can’t comment on the 450 460 Volvo but we run 460 11 lt Volvo engined Renault and 480 Volvo engined Renault , on our experience running light say up to 35 ton the 460 will be easier on diesel and ad blue , running heavy 44t 480 will be easier on diesel but heavy on ad blue , reliability depends on how long you want to keep it , but I’d go for 13lt , as you say not easy to find with low mileage

I remember the old addage from years ago about engines.

Bigger cc and less hp, meant less strain on the engine, lower cc and bigger hp, meant it was working harder.

This was nearly always true from my days of driving ERF’s with ■■■■■■■ lumps in. I had a 340hp, 14 litre ■■■■■■■■ and it would hardly break sweat, whereas the others in our fleet were running 380hp with the 11 litre, and they always seemed to be screaming.

Ken.

Hi,

I drive both of these engines regular on bulk. 90% of the time leaving the yard at 44t and return empty so both doing similar work.
I would go with the 13litre 460 from what I’ve experienced. Driving wise they are both pretty even at lower speeds but when upto the limiter the 460 holds it speed much better and cruises with less effort. It will hold 12th gear on hills alot longer than the 450 and you feel less encouraged to go down a gear as the extra torque is available lower down in the revs. Or that’s how it feels!
In terms of fuel there’s not much in it from what I’ve seen however the main difference for us is the different blowing equipment which can take longer depending on the trailer etc and therefore give a slightly skewed fuel consumption figure. But for me both run in the low 9’s including tipping. I’d say the 460 maybe slightly better.
The only other thing I would say is that Asda are now running 13 litre 420s (FH) I believe, to replace their old FM 450s. May have been a deal struck with Volvo, I don’t know but I’d see that as preference to the 13 litre engine.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

The 11 litre has a hollow camshaft on which the cam lobes have a habit of turning. The 13 litre has a solid camshaft.
So in my view the 13 litre is a more reliable engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk