Is there work for an Owner Driver

Morning

I’m considering a change and was thinking of setting up as an owner driver with a 26T rigid curtainsider, its just thoughts at this moment in time.
I appreciate there is the O licence and all that goes with that which I can cover and also a base to work from which I have covered.

Is there work out there for a rigid or would I be wasting my time?

I see loads (pardon the pun) of jobs advertised on return loads and there does seem to be a regular supply of jobs but I just wonder if a rigid will pay its way.

Best find the work first… No good buying a truck… Insuring it… Paying for an O Licence… Etc etc… THEN try and find work… Be best to find work first or you’ll be just taking anything and that’s when you just get the scraps at rates that are no good.

Its a knife edge isn’t it, trying to get work without a truck is nigh on impossible, I would think people want to see how their stock is being transported before they let it loose on any old vehicle.

I suppose its a risk I have to take, buy a truck and take things from there.

JASON280:
Best find the work first… No good buying a truck… Insuring it… Paying for an O Licence… Etc etc… THEN try and find work… Be best to find work first or you’ll be just taking anything and that’s when you just get the scraps at rates that are no good.

+1 ^^^

You need to listen chap, you asked the question & this answer tells you straight I`m afraid, you need to find the work first

Personally, I`d be tapping up ALL the local pallet/ways/line/network/force mobs, they are flat out :wink:

A mate of mine owns a franchise for one of these, and he has around 3/4 subbies in everyday with rigids, its easy work IMO if you have the right attitude :wink:

Good luck

Stanley Mitchell:

JASON280:

+1 ^^^

You need to listen chap, you asked the question & this answer tells you straight I`m afraid, you need to find the work first

Personally, I`d be tapping up ALL the local pallet/ways/line/network/force mobs, they are flat out :wink:

A mate of mine owns a franchise for one of these, and he has around 3/4 subbies in everyday with rigids, its easy work IMO if you have the right attitude :wink:

Good luck

Have you heard the expression busy fool?

That’s what the network’s are. Last month £15k revenue from it and the kit used was 1artic, 1 rigid, 1 van and that’s with having good areas such as Avonmouth, Yate. There isn’t much money in it as it’s super cut throat.

Riho:

Stanley Mitchell:

JASON280:

+1 ^^^

Good luck

That’s what the network’s are. Last month £15k revenue from it and the kit used was 1artic, 1 rigid, 1 van and that’s with having good areas such as Avonmouth, Yate. There isn’t much money in it as it’s super cut throat.

He was after a bit of advice, and from where I`m sitting, the only way to get started with a 26t rigid is at the bottom :open_mouth:

You only ever find decent work by getting out there amongst it all, and getting a “name” for yourself :wink:

I agree its a busted flush, but what is`nt ? :open_mouth:

Stanley Mitchell:

Riho:

Stanley Mitchell:

JASON280:

+1 ^^^

Good luck

He was after a bit of advice, and from where I`m sitting, the only way to get started with a 26t rigid is at the bottom :open_mouth:

You only ever find decent work by getting out there amongst it all, and getting a “name” for yourself :wink:

I agree its a busted flush, but what is`nt ? :open_mouth:

I would say its unlikely he will find any decent work. We currently run 14 vehicles and from my stand point I can say it’s not worth the hassle. Since March I have had roughly 7 days off, the rest has been spent in the office, driving, repairing stuff. And I consider ourselves lucky as we have very low levels of debt on vehicles un comparison to other outfits.

As to the OP If you do decide to do it, go for a hiab as with that you can advertise on ebay and the like and do work for people which the big companies (higher overheads and breakeven point) will not touch. But again you will be more like a self employed driver rather than a business. For a business you need to see the potential and scope where to grow otherwise is monkey business.

^^ not this ,do not bother with eBay or private punters absolute waste of time ,business customers only .

If. Your happy doing multidrop try xpo they take on 18t/26 owner drivers
Pay a day rate have heard it’s around £350 a day .

In the current climate the work and the truck would be the very least of my worries. My worry would be wondering if I’d get paid. With all the hokey-cokey lockdowns and businesses unable to turn a profit because they’re forced to close on alternate weeks depending on how Bojo is feeling you’d have to have balls of steel to enter the industry with your £50k of truck and ‘available funds’ as you’d be basically winging it from one week to the next, hoping you’ll get paid.

On the plus side, there is no shortage of distressed owner drivers on ebay trying to get rid of their trucks for whatever you’re willing to offer them so you could pick up a bargain there if you’re determined to go through with it.

Murrayminor:
Its a knife edge isn’t it, trying to get work without a truck is nigh on impossible, I would think people want to see how their stock is being transported before they let it loose on any old vehicle.

I suppose its a risk I have to take, buy a truck and take things from there.

Even before you look for work get a few things in place. First and foremost get your Operators CPC ( Not a massive cost ) and apply for your Operators licence. I say this because many companies will ask for Operators Licence details + details like VAT Number even before they will discuss work & rates. To be honest the very last thing you need to do is actually Buy a Vehicle.
Lots of obstacle’s to overcome I am afraid, before you actually start your venture.
But do not listen to all of the doomsday merchants on here. YES do listen to advice and think carefully about your commitment. But it can be done as long as you do your homework and do not expect to much…best of luck.