Tyre change 295/80/22.5 => 315/80/22.5

Hi all,

I’m after a bit of advice. We are due to have the tyres done on the steer axle of our Axor (18t). Since we are changing both of them, I wanted to fit 315/80 instead of 295/80.

From a DVSA viewpoint, am I allowed to do it or do I need to fill out something and then send it off?

The 26t Scania we have currently has 315 on the steer and 295 on the drive axle. Neighbors Dafs (26t) have the same spec as the Daf and both of their tacho calibration stickers say 295/80/22.5. That makes sense to me, as the calibration is done using the drive axle and that could have an impact on the tacho, but surely if I put a 315 on the steer, the. precision of the tacho would not be impacted.

The tyre guy that came out today, said it’s not legal, but if it’s not legal, how can out scania have that? And that was calibrated a month ago.

tach calibration is done on drive axle tyres fitting 315 on steer would not change anything 315 Tyres will fit 215 rims advantage of lager tyres could increes carrying capacity of axle if it does then i think its form VTG10 Notifiable alteration and a check at MOT center

If its just the steers crack on, dont even need to change the plate (unless you want to)

The size of tyre fitted will need to match the size stated on the ‘ministry’ plate fitted on the vehicle; look at any wagon that’s just been for an MOT test and the size details on the sidewall will have been highlighted in tyre chalk as part of the preparation.

Ask your relevant dealer for advice; tyre size alteration is usually a paper exercise these days.

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

chaversdad:
If its just the steers crack on, dont even need to change the plate (unless you want to)

This ^ you can always go bigger on steers / non steers with out doing anything to the plate .just not on the drive .
I tried super singles on the front didn’t like them so took them off again & did nothing .

Punchy Dan:

chaversdad:

This ^ you can always go bigger on steers / non steers with out doing anything to the plate .just not on the drive .
I tried super singles on the front didn’t like them so took them off again & did nothing .

I have super singles in mind for one of our vehicles (26t) when the current ones are due. What exactly was not good about them?

Because my axle is old and with drum brakes the tyres being wider when I tucked under I could often touch the kerb also although I didn’t need Spatz on by law as it’s classed as a tipper the cab and side windows got covered in ZB every time it rained .

A 315/80 won’t fit on a 295/80 rim. 8.25 x 22.5 compared to 9.00 x 22.5 rim if memory serves me right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coiler:
A 315/80 won’t fit on a 295/80 rim. 8.25 x 22.5 compared to 9.00 x 22.5 rim if memory serves me right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought an MAN with the 315/80,s on
I constantly complained the drive tyres were almost touching , in the end i got the tyre man to pull them off and they were on 8.25 rims, put 9 inch rims on and they sat perfect