Bin truck

MOT - needs an HGV MOT once a year - Yes
Tax - He’s got to tax it - Yes

Operators Licence - Am I right in thinking he needs a Restricted Licence, as waste collected belongs to him until transfered?
gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicl … of-licence and that if he wants to get straight to work, he needs to get an Interim Licence?

The Waste Transfer issue is being tested currently by the TC, see a number of judgements recently. The legislation says that transport must be an adjunct to your business so if he is just taking it to landfill and not processing it is unlikely they will grant a restricted licence as they regard that as solely transport of waste.

Operating Centre - He’s got a mate who has trucks who’s letting him park in his yard when empty. Am I right in thinking that he needs to get written permission, and advertise in the paper that he will be keeping the truck there? - Yes as part of the licence application

Transport Manager - May need one depending on licence he gets.

Maintenance - Keep records of daily checks, periodic checks, and maintenance for the last 15 months. gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicl … r-vehicles - read that in detail it will help keep you out of trouble.

CPC - When his card comes through, he’s got to keep that with him when he’s driving. Am I right in thinking he’s OK for now, but he’s got to get 35 hours training in in the next 5 years?

Tacho - short version, he needs to use it, can’t get away with a logbook? So he needs to apply for his card. Manual entries for days where he’s been working but not driving the truck? Needs tacho as assume its commercial waste he is collecting.

Driver’s hours - :open_mouth: ok, I’ve got a rough idea here from keeping domestic hours, but it’s probably better if I don’t say anything so I don’t confuse the job

Working time directive - am I right in thinking it’s best practice rather than a legal requirement - No this is a legal requirement.

Dartford Crossing - I need to work out how he drove from Southampton to Lincolnshire via Dartford when he was meant to be coming up past Oxford, and pay his £6 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Appreciate the help, hopefully, together, we can keep him out of the back of a police car :sunglasses:
n00b