Car Transporter Business Advice

iguana:
Is what I do, although predominantly I do enclosed vehicles high value sports & classics, yes it’s viable but not really as a single car at the movex shiply, crap from Co part etc rates, no idea how guys who do that make it pay, well I do really, they do mental miles & hours & jobs for peanuts usually for right scumbags & have crap cheap insurance.

Mate of mine tried, did 120k miles a yr, barely broke even, gave it up & drives for others now.

I’ve been at it 15 yrs so got a good client base etc, good mix of work & busy etc, but do still lose work to the cheap guys.

I used to work in recovery for a firm with a 10T. I think it is important to understand the market. The guys I knew who do the van transporter + trailer work just shift cars that are rolling. Most accident work has to be done on a 10T/12T truck with main winch (and other attachments) - the 10T normally having a 17ft bed and the 12T a 22ft bed (allows for the longer vans).

The work is viable as you undercut the recovery firms but it is only shifting rolling cars. Some manage to load collision casualties but it depends on the damage.