O Licence queries

Hello guys lurked for a while and need your expertise for a few (probably many) questions to do with applying for my o licence and starting my own business.

Quick bit of back ground I’m 32 I passed my class 2 around 5 years ago did abit of work for a year then personal issues meant not driving until now.

I want to purchase a beavertail and transport mainly vehicles of all varietys but also anything that will go on the back to begin with. Then an enclosed car trailer and pick up truck etc but we will cross that bridge when possible.

I want to apply for the o licence which seems fairly straight forward apart from a couple of things.

Can I have my home address as my operating centre or does it have to be a commercial property as such?

Regarding a Transport Manager… Obviously an external one would be easiest option to start with but my question is can I be my own TM? And if so is it a case of completing the TM CPC only or is there other qualifications needed as a minimum?

Many thanks guys

Lots of relevant info on gov.uk about O-licencing
gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicle-operator

But in the meantime:

Depends what your home address is: would your neighbours be happy with you operating out of your home?
Probably not, and I’m not sure the TC would like that idea very much either. Unless you live on a farm, in which case you’re probably laughing.

For your O licence you need Good Repute & Financial Standing, see links to Statutory Documents No. 1 & 2 below
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … on_6.0.pdf

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … -13.12.pdf

Being your own TM-CPC holder will require money (about £1000) for a course, which involves hard study and (very challenging) exams, there was another thread on this topic recently with some good info in it.

Edit: here’s the link
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=165395

Edit again: BTW, if you’re only planning on picking up vehicles which have broken down and transporting them to a garage for repair (but not delivering the repaired car to it’s owner) you can get away with a restricted O-licence and that doesn’t require a TM-CPC holder

Thanks for the reply fella.

I’m pretty sure I’ll attempt the TM CPC I’ve seen some home study kits for 350 quid and I have plenty of time to learn (currently home schooling my daughter due to covid)

The ‘running the business from my home’ bit confuses me a touch as I’d expect to only be parking it on my drive overnight without any load.and leaving each morning to collect whatever load for that day. . Would using someone else’s yard or unit for instance be a more viable option rather than renting my own to start with…you mention farm there’s plenty where I live who I know the farmers is this an option also?

I’ve seen that recovery vehicles don’t require a o licence but I’m definitely going to be moving road legal vehicles and light plant machinery and also palletised goods so will defo need a o licence… Cheers

Another link specific to Recovery businesses which is necessary reading to understand the difference between haulage and recovery.

gov.uk/government/publicati … fety-rules

Two further points. You will only get the very tiniest of cars onto a 3.5t Transit equivalent legally and you won’t get a fully loaded 3.5 t vehicle onto a 7.5t chassis legally either.

The competition at the bottom end of the market is such that you won’t be making money.

The aim is to transport high end vehicles and race track vehicles and offer storage mainly because of a few connections int hat area but obviously we have all got to start somewhere and I understand that at least to begin with I won’t be in a position to turn away any loads I can get on the back.

Is there any size truck you would reccomend a 7.5t is the smallest I’d want… Finding one that’s right is hard when I’ve only got in a driven them usually.

Norfolkclass2:
Hello guys lurked for a while and need your expertise for a few (probably many) questions to do with applying for my o licence and starting my own business.

Quick bit of back ground I’m 32 I passed my class 2 around 5 years ago did abit of work for a year then personal issues meant not driving until now.

I want to purchase a beavertail and transport mainly vehicles of all varietys but also anything that will go on the back to begin with. Then an enclosed car trailer and pick up truck etc but we will cross that bridge when possible.

I want to apply for the o licence which seems fairly straight forward apart from a couple of things.

Can I have my home address as my operating centre or does it have to be a commercial property as such?

Regarding a Transport Manager… Obviously an external one would be easiest option to start with but my question is can I be my own TM? And if so is it a case of completing the TM CPC only or is there other qualifications needed as a minimum?

Many thanks guys

Unfortunately your home address will not be accepted by the Traffic Commissioner. Operating Centre must be large enough, has a safe access and in an environmentally acceptable location (commercial, industrial or agricultural land). More and more the Traffic Commissioner is asking for a planning permission documents to confirm the lawful use of the premises. A Public Notice with the address of the Operating Centre will be also required. A lot of people starting up rent a space in a yard where other people already have HGV vehicles and licences.

You will require to nominate a Transport Manager when you apply for a licence so if you are looking to start soon and external TM is your best bet. You can become your own TM once you gain your own TM qualifications. Again, that happens a lot. To become a TM you can opt for a classroom or home study and then take the exam. I know the Charted Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT) offers both. There is no other requirement unless you get involved in more specific transport operations (dangerous goods etc.) For standard haulage operations a TM CPC qualification is enough.

Thanks that’s really cleared that up for me… I will start looking for a home study pack ASAP… Also I will now make extra allowances for having a operating centre that actually fits the criteria better.

Thanks that’s really cleared that up for me… I will start looking for a home study pack ASAP… Also I will now make extra allowances for having a operating centre that actually fits the criteria better.

Norfolkclass2:

You are welcome. If you need any help Fleet Planner helps with licence applications, Public Notices, TM and a management software once you obtain the licence (daily vehicle checks mobile app, defect reporting and maintenance scheduling).