Change road tax class to recovery?

Hi Trucknet,

I need some advice on how to change road tax class on my tractor unit to recovery vehicle?

It will be pulling a low loader with winch

Whats the process?
How much is road tax for hgv recovery?
Whats the pros and cons?

As much information needed,

Much appreciated stay safe

Have a read of this below. It doesn’t answer how to change the tax classification, but it does give a lot of other information without knowledge of which it is very easy to get into a lot of bother, particularly with a tractor unit and what is actually on the trailer.

gov.uk/government/publicati … fety-rules

Using a unit & trailer could be a challenge, no so much changing tax group, but the practicalities and temptations to use it for something else. Are you looking at just recovery of broken down / disabled vehicles? If not, then we’re back to gen haulage and O licence etc.

Did it on a rigid was easy peasy, no idea on a tractor tho.

My tax price didn’t change, on yours ‘if’ you can do it, I think tax would be £410 pa (25t & over recovery ved rate)

No issue with taxing it as such if it ever comes to anything it is always the use at the time rather than the construction/design of the vehicle which takes precedence.

I do know someone who ran on recovery ved and was found to be moving tractors about that had broken down let’s say some considerable period in the past before it was decided they needed ‘recovering’ for export. Can’t remember the exact details but it never went any further I think because they were being picked up from farms and then going straight to the exporters but I reckon it was just luck that was the case I’m sure it was basically back-pocket hire and reward low loader work on the side he was doing.

Own Account Driver:
No issue with taxing it as such if it ever comes to anything it is always the use at the time rather than the construction/design of the vehicle which takes precedence.

I do know someone who ran on recovery ved and was found to be moving tractors about that had broken down let’s say some considerable period in the past before it was decided they needed ‘recovering’ for export. Can’t remember the exact details but it never went any further I think because they were being picked up from farms and then going straight to the exporters but I reckon it was just luck that was the case I’m sure it was basically back-pocket hire and reward low loader work on the side he was doing.

Cheers mate, I buy and sell trucks and want to move them to our premises and then to the ports, our own stuff really no hire or reward. Basically need recovery for road tax otherwise its way too much for what I need the truck for

Own Account Driver:

Cheers mate, I buy and sell trucks and want to move them to our premises and then to the ports, our own stuff really no hire or reward. Basically need recovery for road tax otherwise its way too much for what I need the truck for

FH460STALLION:

Own Account Driver:
I buy and sell trucks and want to move them to our premises and then to the ports, our own stuff really no hire or reward. Basically need recovery for road tax otherwise its way too much for what I need the truck for

As I see it, to get the exemption for tax and the overlapping O licence, wouldn’t you be limiting yourself to vehicle less that are disabled (Can’t be driven) or broken-down, so anything that is in anyway roadworthy would not be allowed to be carried.
As others have said, changing the tax is fairly easy. Its once you get on the road that the problems can start. There are quite a few overlapping bits of legislation that come into play.

Acorn:

FH460STALLION:

Own Account Driver:
I buy and sell trucks and want to move them to our premises and then to the ports, our own stuff really no hire or reward. Basically need recovery for road tax otherwise its way too much for what I need the truck for

As I see it, to get the exemption for tax and the overlapping O licence, wouldn’t you be limiting yourself to vehicle less that are disabled (Can’t be driven) or broken-down, so anything that is in anyway roadworthy would not be allowed to be carried.
As others have said, changing the tax is fairly easy. Its once you get on the road that the problems can start. There are quite a few overlapping bits of legislation that come into play.

I have a operators license already and my truck is on it, recovery is mainly for road tax as its at reduced rates

FH460STALLION:

Own Account Driver:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what your purpose of use is would not be classed as recovery hence the first time your tugged,its tea and biscuits for you.

^^^^^

Agreed, not recovery. It doesn’t matter who ‘owns’ the vehicle what you are proposing is still haulage and not recovery. It is not a legitimate use of trade plates either.

FH460STALLION:

Own Account Driver:

Yeah as DD has said if you’re stopped on the leg between your premises and the port and they investigate (higher than average odds as DVSA & co like the ports and like low loaders with tatty old stuff for load security checks) you’ll get done for it. I don’t know what the penalties are but the minimum will be repaying whatever tax they think you’ve dodged.

The guy I knew only got away with it once because he was going straight somewhere in one leg by luck - you can’t do two legs to the port as you’re then clearly operating in the truck sales export sector and not recovery.

Thank you guys, Reading the above I’ve decided to stick to the normal taxation class as its not suitable for what I will be using the unit and trailer for.

Cheers and stay safe